FG National Rail system

crispymorgan

If we're going to use spawn as the central hub we can dig towards spawn but need to decide exactly where the central hub is going to be to if we are all going to meet up.

I also assume all the rails will meet up underground and we will have steps / ladder to the surface? or are we planning for the rails to come to the surface at the central hub?  I have a few ideas on design of the central hub though which I can build a mock in creative later to show you.

I can screenshot Dynmap when I'm home and start mapping out everyone's houses and rough rail directions.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

Mrs P needs the laptop now so that's it for the day. I've done about 280 blocks linear (2200 blocks mined) and found 18 diamonds :lol:! That's about 2.5 hours but I was already on L12 and didn't hit any caves, lava or water...very smooth in fact 

I need to go about another 134 linear blocks South (1072 blocks to mine) to reach the same Z coord as the spawn. Then, providing I haven't screwed up my orientation, I need go about 280 linear blocks East (2240 mined) to get near the spawn..knowing my luck I'll end up in the middle of the desert!!! :lol:

There's about a 57 block vertical difference  between the tunnel and spawn surface for you to play with. Have you thought about automatic lifts? Or possibly escalators if they do them? Or a scary 45 degree rail car ride!!

Let me know how and where you want it terminated, remembering the point I'm currently aiming at is in the middle of the spawn and you might eant it outside. Give me a coordinate if you can

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

My suggestion would be to doe it just north of the Nether Portal at spawn.

The sand will be easy to remove or flatten.

When planning this, think about as few branches as possible. Also think about how to decorate the tunnel. No one wants to sit in a boring as hell tunnel for 20 minutes. Making a tunnel slightly larger allows for decorations and other features to be added. Of course a lot of that can be done afterwards, but it is something to keep in mind

Also, don't worry about linking to me

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

2 hours ago, Plumbers Crack said:

Got any coords for the main station?

If you aim for; x: -364, z: -19, y: 70.  We will have to do some amending at the hub as not everyone can come through the same point but it will get us all in the right area.

I'll get to building a station / main hub when I'm next on.

9 hours ago, Sennex said:

Also, don't worry about linking to me

In this context I prefer to think of you as Mae West than Greta Garbo so let me have the coords to a corner of your site please :)

This may seem strange but at the moment I prefer tunnelling to building, don't know why but there you go....diverting an underground stream and bridging over lava on the access route to L12 was Interesting

The more I think about it, the more I think it would best to have the hub on the surface and the rails dropping down to L12 then splitting off to each destination.  As it will save having to climb / drop 6 levels and it wont take any more resources to do it this way.

@Plumbers Crack Which direction are you coming in to the hub from? so I can orientate the hub the right way round.

34 minutes ago, Greboth said:

The more I think about it, the more I think it would best to have the hub on the surface and the rails dropping down to L12 then splitting off to each destination.  As it will save having to climb / drop 6 levels and it wont take any more resources to do it this way.

@Plumbers Crack Which direction are you coming in to the hub from? so I can orientate the hub the right way round.

If you're on L70 and we're coming in on L12 that's a drop/climb of 58 levels if I'm understanding you correctly.

I'm coming in on Z -19'ish from X -600'ish heading towards your -364 so I'll start heading up at -410'ish

Shout out now if you want a subway spur to your place...Crispy says I have a MC problem but that will be eased when D2 beta comes out! In the meantime, feed the beast!!:lol:

The reason for asking for coords is you wouldn't want me appearing suddenly in the middle of your cherised build, and also I won't do it without you asking as that's not really on

15 hours ago, Plumbers Crack said:

Greboth, if you want I'll do you next if you give me the coords

Thanks for the offer but need to plan out some more of my build before I know where I want the rail line to be.

Ok my biggest tunnel yet is nearing completion running from ~ X = +983, Z = +1138 to the railhead at X = -364, Z = -19..... yeah, that's a shed load of blocks, even if you don't include the dog legs, rises, dips, etc!!

Looking at the advice given by Bart, this tunnel is 7 blocks wide x 3 blocks high

What I need to know now is the layout across the tunnel? There shouldn't be a problem with mobs below ground as there are torches on both walls on every other block. I don't know if I go past anyone else's base who may want to use part of the tunnel?

Should I come full width to the surface or just 2 or 3 wide?

I'm itching to start laying tracks so any advice would be appreciated.

Greboth, I know you're going to do the main terminus near the spawn so I'll just put a temporary platform etc there

Feedback per-leezz! :)

Track laying and testing has started and, I must say, dropping  50+ levels on a 45 degree slope certainly tests your video card and is a lot of fun! :lol::lol::lol:

Gotta shed load of rail laying to do and redstone torch location over lava lakes is fun!

Due to the new angle you come out the ground the terminus has moved a bit closer to spawn now :) Once I have finished the basic shape of the station I'll put a path from spawn to the station.  If anyone has any suggestions for that station let me know now as it isn't too late to make changes to the design.

I'm not sure how many platforms we need but I'll add loads so hopefully we wont run out.  There is some badly placed chest (with rails running in to them - oopsie) but they are full on rail, powered rails and redstone torches if anyone wants to start their rail lines off.

I've also put my energy condenser in station for now as I need a lot of stuff but open to anyone to use if they need more rail.

Well, that was a bitch of a grind...I didn't appreciate how long that damn tunnel was until I took a minecart ride....5:50 was the run time!

Thanks to Greboth for the extra track and tings...nice one bro!

Taking a ride could be a good way of making a cuppa without getting kicked for being afk! :lol::lol:

Come on people, join the system! :1310_thumbsup_tone1:

Oh. My. Word!!!!

Just been to have my first real look at Greboth’s railway terminal...all I can say is “class,sir” ...if the communal build is to a similar standard I’ll be well happy

Check out the station MC people when you get a chance

:1295_raised_hands_tone1::1295_raised_hands_tone1::1295_raised_hands_tone1: Greboth

I really need to get my sorry ass on here to check it out. Might try over the weekend, as Hayley is away and I can get the stupid long LAN cable out rather than my shitty WiFi.

Where does the track take you?

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb