FG National Rail system

crispymorgan

A thread for Rail stuff.  I did start playing about with rails, but it was more a test.  If we decide on how it will look, I'm happy to start building.

20 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

I shall also buy a monkeybike......

X-Posting this from the other thread

This isn't a project that will be quick at all.

Setting a date is a great idea for the initial setup. But after that its going to come down to individuals working their asses off

Having done a few projects on this scale in the past, I would say we need to set up a few things before the actual building.

1. We need a resource gathering group.
  2. A Mining group to clear out the build areas
  3. A design group

So there will be overlap here. 

We will also need a central rail-yard to store all the materials for building supplies of which we will need a massive amount.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

So here are a few things to think about.

You will want 2 rails. One for leaving, and one for entering.

Monsters will NOT spawn on half slabs or rails. If a monster is hit by a minecart, it will die, but it can also eject the rider from the minecart, and can potentially kill them

So I recommend using half slabs as walkways along the rail line. Not to mention proper lighting, fencing, and gating.

If you want to double your ore count, we will need Crushers and Furnaces from the Metallurgy mod. Crushers take ore, and grind it into 2 powder, which will then give us 2 ingots

http://metallurgy-4.wikia.com/wiki/Crusher

Whatever design you all want to do should be voted on and then use for each branchline.

For this,I recommend everyone going into creative mode and designing a space like this:

wall | walk | rail | space | rail | walk | wall

Then post screenshots here

Mining for this will take forever. Seriously, even in creative mode this will take weeks. I think we should all stick to survival mode for this though. It will make it feel more like an accomplishment.

Lastly, I think we should also try to map this out on the Dynmap. Take a screenshot of it, and then just draw redlines everywhere that we want something. If that makes sense

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

cool.   I'm totally excited for this.  How about another style of spawn like area a good distance away to make for a nice holiday?

I'll rip up my little test track, if we could make a central station (leave plenty of space for workings etc) and leave a load of chests for people to put stuff in.

I'll do a bit tonight :)

20 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

I shall also buy a monkeybike......

We don't need that many chests.

A few diamond or crystal chests can house everything we need. Maybe 3 or 4 total at most

You guys can get together and build anything you want, in any location, that isn't claimed. Go nuts.

I will help with advice and what not where I can, but after I was done with the main spawn, I was going to focus on my island, and leave you guys alone.

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Thinking about this some more. I am going to back out entirely.

I will advise and put together some tutorials, but I don't want to muddy the waters at all here. I already have spawn, and the NS/ EW road to do.

If you all want it underground, then cool, if you want it above ground, then also cool.

I would advise caution here as with the modpack being set around a fantasy vibe, above ground rails might break that feel.

It's not so much a question of what's adequate it's what we want.  I think underground would be cool and to link to a central location and off to spawn and all our builds.

If we're building one then I can contribute the rail i've collected as well as a ton a red stone dust.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

11 hours ago, BO7H B4RRELS said:

I think it would be cool to have, but it will be a lot of work.  I'd rather have a nice road system.  

You'd still need tunnels to get to Bart Island! :lol:

If someone can do a picture from the Dynamap with routes on and with coordinates, I'll give it a go....I'm on level 12 diamond hunting at my base anyway, may as well tunnel with a dual purpose

Bart, do you know if the sea around your island goes lower than say level 14? If so, how low at its lowest?

Also, how high and wide a tunnel di we need fir a rail car?

C'mon, let's do this as a community side project!

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

Another thought Tommy....if we can tunnel out to Bart Island we could make it wide enough for trains and cars side by side? I like the idea of a road network as well...train for direct, road for sceanic(?)...I'm getting pumped for this, where's my mining helmet and torches???

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

Road network suggests above ground rather than underground but no reason once we have the basic in place the rails couldn't be widened to have one each way to places.  I think for rail to pass it only needs to be 2 high 1 wide however, the powered redstone rails need to be places and require in places to be 2 down from the rail, so the rail couldn't be at bedrock as we couldn't put the redstone underneath.

After telling Bart I didn't need the interdiction torches I have now decided they would be a good idea so need to lots and lots of shinies :lol: 

I think we need to look at Dynmap, map everyones houses and find a central-ish location for the main station.  Or I suppose we could just build it near spawn as it would all roughly work out in the end anyway.

LOLZ 

no

That was on the last server. 

Starting off, a 4x2 is fine, you will want it bigger though

It needs to accomodate 2 rails, 1 in each direction, Torches, and other stuff

Surely 3 x 2 is all we need? As the 3 blocks could be rail, empty, rail with the empty in the middle having torches periodically to stop mobs spawning.  Unless you need more room for the rails then guess 5 wide would be needed.

Sorry if I'm being dumb here but thinking about it, I suppose we should dig it properly from the beginning.

Its ya'lls project, so dig however. I normally do 5x3, or 7x3.

I say somone needs to take charge of it all, and plan it out

Via the FG App