Dynmap

Sennex

Dynmap, is an IP based map for servers. 

IT allows you to open a web page, and see a map of the entire discovered world in the game. Since I already pre-generated the world, it will show everything. It also allows players to chat while not being in the game as well. In order to save server space, I would only render a "Flat" map, but there are options for a "surface" map as well which does a 3/4 down view to show height. Those files are pretty big though.

The files have been uploaded, and I have already spoken to the host about showing this, so I have the info I need to move forward with it all. However this is just a test, I want to make sure that putting it in game doesn't eat our HD space.

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

I'm all for trying it out. We should make sure we all report back how much we use it on a regular basis so we can work out if its worth it and if its impacting HD space.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

Dynamp is up and I am testing it now

http://198.27.83.113:31500/# 

See in this picture how there are 2 Forever Gaming's? You all want the one at the bottom, not the top one. I will remove the top option as soon as I am able.

You can also click a players name, and it will zoom in on them.

Ev5aMms.png?1

In this image, I flew directly west of spawn. I am at the worlds edge on that side. So you can see how much is left to generate.

The Pre-Render is happening for the main world right now. I will check the space needed for it, and then look at doing the other worlds. (if we have the space)

0Qs0Q6T.png

There is a chat box at the bottom of the screen in the lower left corner, you can talk with folks as I mentioned

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Map is done rendering. I need to go to the spots that didn't render (The black bars) and force them to render

Love the markers as houses, makes the map at a glance really useful. My initially thoughts are to keep it for a while and see what others think. At the very least we need a snapshot of this map once everybody submits their co-ordinates for their homes.

Dynmap is more for advertising, and people that have multiple monitors.

For advertising, we can link to the map, and people can see what it all looks like. and how good/ interesting the builds are.

For everyone else, you can plan a build very easily having it open on another monitor, or even just explore easier. I shut off the hi-res images, as well as the 3d view because of HD space. 

Why not both?

Dynmap is still on and running.

I can't speak for others, but I have it open all teh time, even when I am at work. That way I can see what folks are up to, and if there are any problems.

12 minutes ago, Sennex said:

Why not both?

Dynmap is still on and running.

I can't speak for others, but I have it open all teh time, even when I am at work. That way I can see what folks are up to, and if there are any problems.

Works for me Bart, just didn't know whether we'd do both because they are similar. I'll probably use it eventually once i'm much further deeper into the game.

I set it up to have a very low resource profile, and if more people had multiple monitors, I would honestly push to remove Journeymap, instead of dynmap. Thats just me though