Server Rules

Sennex

22 minutes ago, Greboth said:

That's my bad I should have checked, I saw it on the map and thought it was a village (which I wanted to build close to) rather than someones build.

It happens. At least we know that the map should help for things like this.

Can I get some clarification on what counts as a big animal farm? I'm thinking of one with around 20 animals (4 or 5 pigs, cows, chicken, sheep) which I presume doesn't count as too big as you get more than 20 naturally in an area at one time.  I just thought I'd check before going ahead with building and finding the animals.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

Ducks? Do you mean chickens? or is there ducks and I've never seen them?

I mostly seem to have cows and chickens but its always possible to get them all with a bit of work.  Though I don't have any carrots for pigs yet.

If your combined total is over 15, then you need to scale it back

Via the FG App

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

1 hour ago, Greboth said:

Ducks? Do you mean chickens? or is there ducks and I've never seen them?

I mostly seem to have cows and chickens but its always possible to get them all with a bit of work.  Though I don't have any carrots for pigs yet.

Pigs eat beetroot as well I think...let me know if you want some or some seeds

Probably were chickens then...all I know is I have five eggs! :lol:

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

I didn't know about beetroot but good to know.  If we have to keep it under 15 then I think I'll stick to cows and chickens due to them dropping feathers and leather which is useful for other things as well as getting the meat for food.

There used to be a mod that allowed you to burn zombie flesh in a furnace, and it would turn into leather.

I need to see if that is available for 1.10. Since thats all the mod did, it had incredibly low overhead and could be added easily

And yea, Beetroot is great for pigs.

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

On 28/06/2017 at 0:55 PM, Sennex said:

If your combined total is over 15, then you need to scale it back

Via the FG App

Oh bugger!  I was just re-reading this thread and saw this and I'm as guilty as sin!

I've created an underground farm and the livestock side is just a leeetttlle bit more than this...well actually, that's probably the number of chickens after the latest slaughter :) Problem is, if you keep chickens, pigs, cows and sheep (man, they were a sod to get indoors) you can only breed three times with a 15 limit before you have to hack 'n slash!

I'll get rid of the outdoor "show" animals, except the three horses, next time I'm on but could you cut me a little slack on the others unless it starts causing server issues then I'll cry and conform? 

I had provided decent instructions on how to time breeding, and slaughtering, to keep the server running decently. If you can't find them let me know

17 hours ago, Sennex said:

I had provided decent instructions on how to time breeding, and slaughtering, to keep the server running decently. If you can't find them let me know

Ive had a trawl through a few threads including the 15 page one and can't see it so I'll just keep the chickens and slaughter everything else next time I'm on

On 6/30/2017 at 8:08 AM, Sennex said:

So here is how you can make a leather farm without crashing the server

Keep 4 cows at all times. They can pop out crotch fruit every 5 minutes. Babies take about 20 to become adults.

So just stay near your farm, feed them every 5 minutes, and then after an hour or so, kill everything except for 4 of them.

I am not worried about server lag from a cattle farm that is gone in a few hours, or even a full day.

Its the constant lag that it creates over time if we all have one.

This works for every animal type

I think I know the answer to this by my experience but how does the server cope with redstone circuits?

I ask as I've built a few (5 or 6) block swappers in the ground outside my house which is triggered by a day / night detector and swaps a block of dirt for glowstone at sunset and visa versa at sunrise. For the half a second / second when all the pistons fire I get drop in FPS and lag so I'm guessing, by the way you've said MC works with hoppers and such of having to calculate where each block is and it moves etc. that this redstone circuit hits the server hard?

It's a cool circuit and one I was looking to expand but if it is that bad for the server, I can remove the redstone and just leave the glowstone dotted around.

1 hour ago, Sennex said:

I have no idea.

39 minutes ago, Plumbers Crack said:

Why don't you try it and we/Bart will let you know if it screws us?

That sounds like a plan then, if it starts showing in the server logs or anyone has problems it is just a few pieces of redstone to remove and the whole system will stop working.

Why not just put a redstone lamp down with an inverted detector on top, like I did at spawn?

I could do and the block swapper method is arguably pointless, definately more complicated but most importantly is soooo much cooler :D Having dirt during the day and seeing the blocks swap out when as the sun sets is just plain cool and that is reason enough for me*.

* Unless it actually causes server problems then yeah your idea might be best.