FG Minecraft Server

The3rdWalker

3 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I'm absolutely in support of this....and maybe, just maybe, I'll see if it's worth a go.

Feels weird though if I did *shudders*

:lol: Holy shit! 

Never thought i'd ever hear you say this!

I'm down with some crafting of the mines!

The only question then; whats the wecomended amount dedotated wam I should have to server.

On a serious note - on console you can visit other peoples worlds but they have to be online.  I presume you can do the same on pc too but you're more talking about a 24/7 dedicated server?  It would be good to have a 24/7 one though as it could be up for whoever whenever and either side of the pond.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

So servers cost money. I learned long ago to NOT front this cost for people.

So you guys need to get together and figure out how serious you are about this.

Tommy can attest to the fact that I have built a few modpacks for him to try out. I don't know if he has, but I have done the work, and will continue to do such as it is something I enjoy.

Money directly impacts what can be put into a server/ modpack though. Not to mention many mods are now charging for their use.

I have no issue doing the behind the scenes work for you all, but the money needs to be set aside first before I do.

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

@Sennex That totally makes sense and it shouldn't be any one persons responsibility to pay the cost.

I suppose the first questions have to be, for those with more experience of this, who is a good host? and how much is a server? 

Don't go about this from that angle. Its not reliable, and whatever server is set up will be gone in a month or 2 if you do.

The average lifespan of a server is about 3 months because people always try to go at it from this angle.

Instead ask yourself:

Can I donate monthly to this?

How much can I donate monthly?

If we have 6 players, and if everyone can only give 2$ a month, then it changes what I look for as far as host.

If we have 6 players and only 3 can give 2$ a month, then it changes things again

If we have 10 players and each can give 5$ then it changes things...

Does this make sense?

All hosts, that Tommy doesn't pick, can be decent, they are not universal though. I've run more servers than I care to admit, all fail because everyone promises to donate vast amounts, never delivers, and then shit falls apart.

IF!!!!!

People can reliably donate 2$ to 4$ a month, or a lump sum equivalent that can be banked, we can have a decent server for a while. But we need at least 2$, preferably more as I know you all want mods and plugins.

EDIT: The end goal is to have enough players that we can reliably spend 16-20$ a month on this thing. Less money = less mods, less bandwidth, etc.... More money = more, to a point, that point is nebulous so don't ask for definitions

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Sorry, I was keeping things short as I was on my phone.  Basically, I already know I could donate monthly to it so I had moved on to how much would I be willing to donate to it.  That is where I ran in to a problem as, having no experience of this, I had no idea if a server is a few dollars a month or a few hundred dollars a month and that very much affected whether I would, or wouldn't, be willing to donate.

I can appreciate that it varies depending on the number of players we want (though hopefully this should reasonably scale) and the mods we want to run.  However if you're looking at a ballpark-ish figure of a few dollars a month each then that doesn't sound too bad.

I have run servers for other games many years ago so know the problem of people promising to and not paying so I don't think it is unreasonable, at least initially, to ask for 3-6 months worth.

One clarification on how I tend to do things.

I don't run FTB, AT Launcher, or Tekkit based servers. They are packed full of bloated modpacks that conflict and are horrible to maintain.

I build servers/ modpacks so that anyone can download and install them, and that they can be run with 100% stability.

You guys come up with a theme, and I will work on it.

I would also be happy to contribute a few shekels a month.

I mostly played Minecraft on my 360 like Greboth but I have it on PC too, as does Mina, and she'd love this as well.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

okay, well answer me this then

Do you guys want simple or complex?

Fantasy or Science fiction?

I will say that most things in MC lean towards fantasy, but thats just where the community tends to gravitate

Could you give us a few examples of simple vs complex? I mean I will be able to learn anything if there is a guide so I would probably lean a bit more towards the complex scale, but maybe we should be mindful if our kiddos ever end up playing with us in the future.

I would like fantasy, I'm not a science fiction guy really but I won't hate on it.

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

I'd be up for playing a bit of MC with you guys.

I've always been more towards the fantasy side of things in MC. As far as texture packs go, Isabella was a favourite of mine; I beleive it's been superseded by another pack now.

1562265543_Starletlogsig.png.19b3c199efb193f2f7d11a161bf5a2d6.png

No

Mods have to be both server and client side.

Plugins are serverside only

Texture, Resource Packs, are on client side

So all that being said I started looking at the viability of a modpack this morning as I attempt to wake up.

I am not 100% sold on the latest release of even the last 2 releases from Mojangg, as they don't have the mod support they should.

Going back to the 1.7.10 release means we have loads of shit to choose from, but a lot of bug fixes and features are left out.

Okay so, if we are going to make a go of this, I need some feedback here.

I built a modpack for Tommy a few months back, that was centered around making Minecraft into a sort of MMOrpg. It was built around an older version of Minecraft, but it had a bunch of dungeons scattered everywhere that people could clear out and turn into homes. It also was heavily based on the magic mods that existed at the time.

There was even a world/ dimension that was centered around magic and clearing out evil overlords. (There was a zelda sword style mod, but it never worked right sadly)

I can revise it to run smoother on other systems and put it out there for folks

Okay so, if we are going to make a go of this, I need some feedback here.

I built a modpack for Tommy a few months back, that was centered around making Minecraft into a sort of MMOrpg. It was built around an older version of Minecraft, but it had a bunch of dungeons scattered everywhere that people could clear out and turn into homes. It also was heavily based on the magic mods that existed at the time.
There was even a world/ dimension that was centered around magic and clearing out evil overlords. (There was a zelda sword style mod, but it never worked right sadly)

I can revise it to run smoother on other systems and put it out there for folks

That mod pack was great! I still play it. My son loves it too. I'm down for getting in on this. I'll contribute a bit for it.

Trust Bart in all of this people. This man knows Minecraft. I'm cool with going back to 7.10 it's what I play.

Via the FG App

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

As I said, I come from console which was the base game and nothing else.  So I bow to your experience and opinions on mods/plugins/textures etc. if 7.10 is the way to go then 7.10 it will be.

I'm just here for the company really, I enjoyed the single player survivor mode, especially building up everything to have a secure base and farm etc. but eventually running around on your own gets boring.