Posts and Site Structure

We can definitely do that. I'm going to start the process so bear with me over the next few days - shout up if anyone gets confused or notices something that works better for different sections.

Ok. So i've changed it around. A few subforums to sort still. Left Warframe for now in main games because not got time right now to archive stuff. Feedback as soon as please everybody.

It's a piece of piss to get it back to what it was so don't be scared to shout up. Equally shout up if you like the look of it. Thanks.

On 7/14/2017 at 7:50 AM, The3rdWalker said:

It's all gaming dude. No PC / Console hate here. 

• I don't think PUBG should have it's own section. Outside of a map and one resource website there's really nothing content wise that's worthy of a forum for it. 
  • Let's avoid making to many subs, it'll just mean we have dead empty rooms when we could be posting them in the genre they belong. If you want it to grab your attention you could flair your posts with the game before the title. [PUBG] Best places to spawn, [Warframe] New updated xxx

I think once PUBG gets ported to console it may be worth re-exploring its own section but until now i agree with you Rob

Also i really do like the idea of the reddit style flairs would really help with organization in the long run 

Small issue, but is there possible to move General Gaming above Gaming Genre? I feel PPR's are more frequented than the topics in Genre. Even though there's no hazzle scrolling down it would feel a bit easier.

Start debate!

6 hours ago, NCA-Paendrag said:

Small issue, but is there possible to move General Gaming above Gaming Genre? I feel PPR's are more frequented than the topics in Genre. Even though there's no hazzle scrolling down it would feel a bit easier.

Start debate!

We can definitely look at moving it up. What do people think?

I've done most of the initial changes now. Do you think it works?

Personally, to prove it works we need more threads and posts all across FG. Don't be scared to start some, people!!

10 hours ago, NCA-Paendrag said:

I think it works fine besides my little request :)

Edit: Did you change something already? I see now that PPR's stands alone and there is no General Gaming?

Yeah, I gave it its own section which i think is right.

I can look to move it up tonight - I'm not sure it'll look quite right but worth trying it :)

As I say in my earlier post, there's tons of stuff that could be explored with how it looks now but ultimately just needs people to share what they're thinking and add into sections. If you're lost with ideas give me a shout as I have some - I think we should all have the courage to start threads when you have the time.

If a subforum's last update is for some days or weeks we have to think about why we have it if no one has stuff to say or actually not interested in that bit at all.

13 minutes ago, Sennex said:

Sadly I am not a fan of the new structure :(

I sort of guessed you wouldn't be buddy, sorry :( I know you said before it hasn't really helped when these things you've tried before.

You got any suggestions or what the bits you REALLY don't like? If its all of it, that's cool, but its helpful to work with something rather than change things blindly guessing. I did research around some other sites to see what works and doesn't and this chas worked in some places. My main issue is most casual people who frequent not as much as me look at the top home view so that's where i'm coming from. However, I'll keep on saying, whatever structure we have will only work if people keep interested and share their views.

I am able to admit that any change would annoy me, but.... you asked

Do not need their own Forums:

Warframe

GTA

Minecraft

Rainbow 6

Overwatch

Retro

Beat Em Ups

Survival

Most of these barely have 1000 posts. They are not generating traffic, although Warframe and minecraft come close. Maybe revisit them in the future.

General Discussion -> General Discussion should be above every other listing in that section. 

Motor should be part of Sports

Speakers Corner and TA should be in their own section completely.

The rest of the changes make sense.

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

I am able to admit that any change would annoy me, but.... you asked

Do not need their own Forums:
Warframe
GTA
Minecraft
Rainbow 6
Overwatch
Retro
Beat Em Ups
Survival

Most of these barely have 1000 posts. They are not generating traffic, although Warframe and minecraft come close. Maybe revisit them in the future.

General Discussion -> General Discussion should be above every other listing in that section. 
Motor should be part of Sports

Speakers Corner and TA should be in their own section completely.

The rest of the changes make sense.

This is perfect mate. Thank you. I want views. This is something we can work with.

There's some value in what you say, that's why I've opened them all up to see what people gravitate to. Ultimately, its up to FG. If everyone keeps posting stuff in every section daily then theres an argument against your suggestion. However, I think we know by seeing the dates and volume that less is more.

If we were mega volume then the forums would all be needed.

One thing to consider though is when we introduce something new like a few we've recently created is how long we give it a chance to grow? Each forum needs time.

I can't and personally don't want to do this on my own. This place is for all of us - so anyone else got their opinion to add on to what Bart said?

Currently, i agree with GTA. Rainbow and Overwatch are candidates if we can't keep interest but 50% of the family play both those games. Warframe I'd have said yes but the new update could open it up to the NA guys as a ton play that.

Agree with beat em ups, it hasn't worked so far, prob too early.

I enjoy retro and we just started Survival. You guys need to say what survival is in more detail.

Agree with general discussion. Agree speakers corners and TA (although TA is in real danger if it dont pick up...)

Motor i agree but i thought more of you fuckers that all love cars would've used it more. Shame if it goes.

I can see logic in both sides. Bear in mind I come from this from a tablet view point (I never use the laptop to view the site unless I'm trying to do something complicated)...

The "feel" of what you did makes it look fresh and open and I think intriguing to a visitor (and I'll come back to this in a minute). I do agree with Bart about the number of main sections for games like GTA, Minecraft, Warframe, etc. Maybe look again in say, 2-3 months, when holidays are over, etc with a view to pruning some back? 

I think the thing to bear in mind is that I assume most regular forum members are like me and have the "unread content" page bookmarked and use the site from there...they don't see the Home Page, that's how visitors interact with the forum and, as such, that needs to be the shiny, easy to navigate bit, especially from a tablet point of view. A couple of scrolls is all the time you have to hook 'em!

Good work tho Lee and thanks for taking the time to do it

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

2 hours ago, Plumbers Crack said:

I can see logic in both sides. Bear in mind I come from this from a tablet view point (I never use the laptop to view the site unless I'm trying to do something complicated)...

The "feel" of what you did makes it look fresh and open and I think intriguing to a visitor (and I'll come back to this in a minute). I do agree with Bart about the number of main sections for games like GTA, Minecraft, Warframe, etc. Maybe look again in say, 2-3 months, when holidays are over, etc with a view to pruning some back? 

I think the thing to bear in mind is that I assume most regular forum members are like me and have the "unread content" page bookmarked and use the site from there...they don't see the Home Page, that's how visitors interact with the forum and, as such, that needs to be the shiny, easy to navigate bit, especially from a tablet point of view. A couple of scrolls is all the time you have to hook 'em!

Good work tho Lee and thanks for taking the time to do it

Thanks Dave, I want more opinions so thank you for sharing your thoughts. Hopefully others follow.

This is the balance I'm playing with - for new people to see how much is underneath but keep us old regulars happy too. Everyone wants to invite others here so I want it to be inviting as it can be from the top.

Basically, what we have now would work once all forums have regualr content. Any forum section on its own works if it has that. Thats basic. I think we can amalgamate a few and still keep it fresh looking for a little while.

I am always on here with my phone and never use unread content. Don't know why but never have. 

The way it is now it's easy for me to mark as read the content I'm not interested in. (Yeah, I don't read everything :ph34r:)

I kinda agree that it could be compressed a bit but then again new members might not find it interresting enough.

It's fine on Tapatalk but via browser - while part of me appreciates seeing all the threads - there's a lot of information to work through and it probably looks a bit chaotic to new or prospective members.
Keep the Minecraft forum though please.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

So far I've added Sports and Motors back together, Beat em ups back into Sports and Motors, GTA threads back into RPG.

Agree with Speakers Corner and T&A need to be in an 'Adult Zone' or words to that effect so will sort soon.

@The3rdWalker, @Sweetandsour16 you think that the new guys that mainly sit in the Discord chat currently, want to make a go of the Rainbow section? We can collapse it into the Shooters section if not? Any feedback is helpful.

So far I've added Sports and Motors back together, Beat em ups back into Sports and Motors, GTA threads back into RPG.

Agree with Speakers Corner and T&A need to be in an 'Adult Zone' or words to that effect so will sort soon.

[mention=1428]The3rdWalker[/mention], [mention=1479]Sweetandsour16[/mention] you think that the new guys that mainly sit in the Discord chat currently, want to make a go of the Rainbow section? We can collapse it into the Shooters section if not? Any feedback is helpful.

Collapse away. I'll just tag posts with [R6] in the title.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

On 21/07/2017 at 4:14 AM, The3rdWalker said:

Collapse away. I'll just tag posts with [R6] in the title.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem, will look to do it later around gametime.

I'll separate speakers corner and T&A later too. All - what's an appropriate name for the section?

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

No problem, will look to do it later around gametime.

I'll separate speakers corner and T&A later too. All - what's an appropriate name for the section?

Mos Eisley, because you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy than Mos Eisley spaceport...

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

I noticed you moved the PPR section up Lee, or someone else.. I like it. Alot. (Read in Jim Carrey's voice [emoji4] )

Yeah, and collapsed a few forums into one. Don't really see the harm in changing it to see what happens for a bit. Shame not many new guys have took advantage of that bit yet.