PC Tower

GazzaGarratt

What type of towers do you have? I don't really have the space for a big one...unless I can convince the wife.

With SSD the main choice do you have much smaller ones or is there specific ones that take your fancy? I'll dig my old one out over the weekend to share what I used to use.

I don't want to brag (not much anyways) but my tower is bigger than average and the wife doesn't complain at all ;)

On a serious note, I wouldn't go smaller than an Micro ATX. Smaller towers tend to have less airflow or very loud fans. So your system can either overheat if it is used for gaming (when overclocking the CPU and GPU) or it will be loud as hell. 

This is mine Lee. My gaff is tiny and this sits under a desk in the living room.
CA022NX_31078_800x800.jpg

Yeah, but how 'big' is that? [emoji41]

See your point Pat. It's just with the amount of retro consoles I have compacted into a tiny space if i look at something it needs small as possible but not to the detriment of a shitty spec PC.

Via the FG App

I'm in the camp of, leave LED the fuck away from me. I'm a huge fan and will be buying an NZXT case. It offers good airflow which is the most important part of your case. Air flow will also be dependent on your cable management which the case below offers a ncie solution to keep it tidy. Also if there are any panels to view through go for tempered glass, not acrylic or plastic. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/3TYWGX/nzxt-ca-s340w-b3-atx-mid-tower-case-ca-s340w-b3

DIMENSIONS

17.01" x 7.99" x 18.66"

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

1 hour ago, PlasticGaming said:

Also if there are any panels to view through go for tempered glass, not acrylic or plastic. 

Why go for glass? Over heating against the plastic?

Christ no, purely cosmetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And here's me thinking you were going to enlighten me...

I love a bit of sparkly lights me [emoji7]

Fucking fairy lights in a pc. Even transparent side panels are too blingy for me. I like a case with no lights, one colour and very obviously very well engineered, with maybe a hint ofm brushed aluminium. It must be VERY well finished because fuck protruding screws and panel gaps. Summat like this:

cooltek-jonsbo-umx4-x4-large.jpg

Or maybe a Corsair Carbide. 

Lee to answer your question, go for ITX. 

banlol.png

Fucking fairy lights in a pc. Even transparent side panels are too blingy for me. I like a case with no lights, one colour and very obviously very well engineered, with maybe a hint ofm brushed aluminium. It must be VERY well finished because fuck protruding screws and panel gaps.  

Says the man who drives a fucking pink fag wagon [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I think I have had about every size going over the years.  I think the biggest I have had is was a Silverstone TJ07 but currently running a M-ITX system in a Bitfenix Prodigy.  The Prodigy still isn't that small but I needed the room for 3.5" drives and with a 200mm (230mm?) fan in the front it isn't particularly noisy either.

If space is tight then M-ITX may be the way to go, there has been some high end M-ITX boards which still give you overclocking, NVME support etc.  Obviously M-ITX still has its limitations in that they mostly (if not all) only can take 2 RAM sticks, only 1 graphics card / expansion card, have less S-ATA ports etc.  As a general rule, smaller cases have smaller fans or fans have to run faster so they will be noisier than large cases.  However it really comes down to what space you have, if space is that tight then you may have to pick a case first then choose the components to go in it.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

@GazzaGarratt Further to the chat the other night, if you're determined to keep it small your best bet is going to be cases like the Silverstone Sugo range (or similar) which around 20-25 cm wide, 18-20 cm tall and 25-30am deep.  You could go for a more HTPC style case which are wider and less tall though they do start to suffer with heat/noise as you can't fit 120mm fans in so limited to 92mm or 80mm's.

1 hour ago, crispymorgan said:

Lee, if you can't sit at a desk for keyboard and mouse, then a PC is zero use to you.

I personally don't think so. If I game on a PC I would still generally want to use a controller over mouse and keyboard. What's wrong with that?

Thanks @Greboth and @BO7H B4RRELS.

Those look the right sizes so I may have a chance to start looking at this however I'm not in a major hurry.

1 hour ago, crispymorgan said:

Lee, if you can't sit at a desk for keyboard and mouse, then a PC is zero use to you.

I suppose it depends on what games you plan to play on PC.  Something like Minecraft or Xbox games through Windows 10 then a controller would be fine.  Where it becomes a problem is if we moved to OW or R6 (or similar) on PC then I think it would start to become a problem.

30 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I personally don't think so. If I game on a PC I would still generally want to use a controller over mouse and keyboard. What's wrong with that?

Thanks @Greboth and @BO7H B4RRELS.

Those look the right sizes so I may have a chance to start looking at this however I'm not in a major hurry.

No problem mate, if/when you get round to it I'm sure we can come up with a good spec for you too.

All this talk of PC's though is giving me the upgrade itch even though my PC is fine for what I need it for :(

2 hours ago, Greboth said:

I suppose it depends on what games you plan to play on PC.  Something like Minecraft or Xbox games through Windows 10 then a controller would be fine.  Where it becomes a problem is if we moved to OW or R6 (or similar) on PC then I think it would start to become a problem.

If using a controller I don't think either of those games would even be fun for you on PC. The difference a mouse and keyboard provides is astounding. I've got a similar build I am working on for my brother-in-law who loves his console yet wants all the benefits of steam. I'm essentially building him an Xbox Scorpio to which he can keep in his entertainment center to use with an Xbox Elite controller.

Price and build always comes down to what you want to play. Lee doesn't seem like a triple A player type of guy, or not that it's his sole purpose so he can honestly build whatever and have it to more than enough to suit his needs.

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

I use a controller - my lovely xbox 360 controller - for certain games.

For football games, rocket league and driving games (though not all) i still use it.

Everything else is KB & M.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I think I just face facts. I'm half decent at FPS games. Tactics get me through most PvP rounds rather than twitch skill.

I just asess it like I do with personal life - whilst I love football I'm never gonna be a professional, so why buy the best boots on sale when half decent ones do the job.

I love triple A games but I'm not sure the KB & M will make me amazingly brilliant at games.

However, i might be completely wrong and could become awesome :D

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I think I just face facts. I'm half decent at FPS games. Tactics get me through most PvP rounds rather than twitch skill.

I just asess it like I do with personal life - whilst I love football I'm never gonna be a professional, so why buy the best boots on sale when half decent ones do the job.

I love triple A games but I'm not sure the KB & M will make me amazingly brilliant at games.

However, i might be completely wrong and could become awesome :D

You'll be amazing, do it. :D