Xbox Scorpio

GazzaGarratt

This week Microsoft will be teasing their new console spec ahead of E3, which should be a full unveiling.

It is expected to have 4k uncompromised gameplay and potentially more powerful than the ps4 pro - Terraflops and memory to be considerably larger.

Talks have been we'll see Red Dead 2 being run on it to show its capability. That might be at E3 but its good to hear what we'll be looking forward to seeing on the day.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some great specs but it's a bit overkill especially when they don't have the software to back it up. Could end up pricing the majority of the consumer base out and with Microsoft's play anywhere PC partnership with the W10 Store; if people have such money to burn; they'd be better off spending a bit more and getting a monster PC in return which can be upgraded unlike the Scorpio. Bit surprised at the 1tb HDD too with it not having a SSD also.

It will certainly be a powerhouse regardless and it'll be interesting to see how Sony respond. The PS4 Pro was supposed to be the final interation of this generation from Sony but even that will seem dated come the end of the year so we could end up having a PS4 Pro 2 or even Playstation 5! 

Looking like a 6 teraflop system when a GeForce 1080 runs at 8.9 teraflops. Stronger than PS4 Pro for sure but at its projected price point... 499£ you're better off buying a pc.

Unfortunately I believe you'll come at an impasse soon where a PC will be the better option unless you can really sell these machines at 300.00 You can also use a controller.. Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

12 minutes ago, PlasticGaming said:

Looking like a 6 teraflop system when a GeForce 1080 runs at 8.9 teraflops. Stronger than PS4 Pro for sure but at its projected price point... 499£ you're better off buying a pc.

Unfortunately I believe you'll come at an impasse soon where a PC will be the better option unless you can really sell these machines at 300.00 You can also use a controller.. Lee

This does feel more like a system that isn't designed for games but for all round life. I think companies are forgetting if you focus solely on games they will make a better system rather than get extra kudos for supporting UI crap.

Don't want to derail thread but I get the controller Rob, its just I get annoyed having to deal with PCs after a short time the performance always slows down as it isn't just for games. You don't get that with consoles. I'd have to keep upgrading with the times, which frustrates me. Its why I stopped investing in my PC many years ago.

Nice piece of kit but i'll be saving my money for a new GPU...I'm just waiting to see all the 1080ti iterations.
Buying a new GPU every 4/5 years is all I 'need' to do upgrade wise.
I don't even need a new card really, I just want one.

Invest in the right parts at the beginning is the key to PC longevity.

Preaching to Lee on PC is pointless i know....but it's an honourable calling in life :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

This does feel more like a system that isn't designed for games but for all round life. I think companies are forgetting if you focus solely on games they will make a better system rather than get extra kudos for supporting UI crap.

Don't want to derail thread but I get the controller Rob, its just I get annoyed having to deal with PCs after a short time the performance always slows down as it isn't just for games. You don't get that with consoles. I'd have to keep upgrading with the times, which frustrates me. Its why I stopped investing in my PC many years ago.

I bought my PC back in 2011 and have only upgraded the GPU (early 2013) yet it still can play most new AAA relases on the high preset with a framerate above 60fps at full 1080p. I got my PS4 in 2014 which runs most old games at an equivalent medium preset at an average 900p with most games running 30fps unlocked and that is dated now. The PS4 pro which was only released last year will have a limited lifespan and the Xbox One S will also become an 'old gen' machine later this year. The console market is now having to move so fast we're already on 3rd iterations in less than 4 years - machines that can't be upgraded. New releases are also struggling - I got Nier Automata for my original PS4 and that is running at a low texture preset whereas the PC version would be high on my very old rig. The long loading and general performance is extremely shoddy too. The wayward and fluctuating component prices just leaves these consoles lopsided and users are having to pay a premium on pre-selected hardware which isn't cost effective or beneficial. The upscaling nature of the Pro and S will also only go so far to cover up the true standard of the core consoles. 

The 360/PS3 gen lasted years and was very consumer comfortable as hardware was fairly static and advanced right off the bat but now everything is accelerating and the likes of Microsoft are having to bite the bullet and build big to keep up. Also the wealth of new engines requires top end hardware and it wouldn't surprise me if new PS4/Xbox One games soon wont be supported on the original consoles from 2013 to 2016. 

You could probably go out and spend a few hundred and get a basic PC that will shine for the next five years and in that time; make the money back through cheaper games and free platforms. I do like the plug in and play nature of console gaming but for an overall experience and cost effectiveness; PC gaming right now is the best possible investment. 

They don't call it PC master race for nothing. I'm not sure how your machines slow down like they do Lee. I'm using a 2011 gateway laptop from a Black Friday said (i3, integrated gpu) and it doesn't lag at all. Granted I cannot play a triple AAA game but it's easy to keep them purring.

A console generally has a 6 year shelf life, add 300.00 for online services and you have a PC that will decimate two console releases.

I mentioned controller because that was one of your hang ups about PC gaming.

Preaching to Lee on PC is pointless i know....but it's an honourable calling in life [emoji4]

I mentioned controller because that was one of your hang ups about PC gaming.

It's not pointless at all. I do want a PC. However, all great games in my life that I've enjoyed have been on consoles. I tried PC and it doesn't grip me for games like a console game does. Maybe its the controller, but for sure I hated over the years after installing a few things it would be slow to load even after system restore. I like the idea of packaged items that don't need tweaking. You have to move the times though as I'm well aware that the latest gen consoles are effectively PC Lite.

Dont forget though, you can't buy the community you get on console. That's where I met you guys.

Via the FG App

I bought my PC back in 2011 and have only upgraded the GPU (early 2013) yet it still can play most new AAA relases on the high preset with a framerate above 60fps at full 1080p.

Framerate and graphics are neither here or there for me. Unless you're comparing the SNES to an Xbox One to me the graphics aren't a deal breaker. It's great you get a little bit of a smoother screen res but it's all about the games and gameplay for me.

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Framerate and graphics are neither here or there for me. Unless you're comparing the SNES to an Xbox One to me the graphics aren't a deal breaker. It's great you get a little bit of a smoother screen res but it's all about the games and gameplay for me.

I only gave that as an example of how long PC hardware lasts now when compared to a console's lifespan whilst still retaining greater quality. When architecture from 2011 can surprass consoles produced in 2016 [slim] it shows how different the industry is compared to the last gen. Quantity of games and quality of performance is also astonishing on PC. I only got back into PC gaming full time towards the end of the 360/PS3 gen and much has changed over the years and many misconceptions and stereotpyes aren't even a second thought now.

You can game on free platforms, get new AAA releases for under £25, play with a controlller on a TV whilst sitting on your sofa, download and install games the same as console and even remotely, have software configure optimal settings etc. It's not half as complex or as cumbersome as it may have seemed in the past to the extent; everything can be done for you. I'd highly recommend giving it another shot especially with the amount of gamers now using both PC and PS4 to cover all bases and the amount of doors that can open in terms of a complete gaming experience. 

4 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

I only gave that as an example of how long PC hardware lasts now when compared to a console's lifespan whilst still retaining greater quality. When architecture from 2011 can surprass consoles produced in 2016 [slim] it shows how different the industry is compared to the last gen. Quantity of games and quality of performance is also astonishing on PC. I only got back into PC gaming full time towards the end of the 360/PS3 gen and much has changed over the years and many misconceptions and stereotpyes aren't even a second thought now.

You can game on free platforms, get new AAA releases for under £25, play with a controlller on a TV whilst sitting on your sofa, download and install games the same as console and even remotely, have software configure optimal settings etc. It's not half as complex or as cumbersome as it may have seemed in the past to the extent; everything can be done for you. I'd highly recommend giving it another shot especially with the amount of gamers now using both PC and PS4 to cover all bases and the amount of doors that can open in terms of a complete gaming experience. 

#

^ this exactly

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

8 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Have to second that one. 

10 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Don't forget though, you can't buy the community you get on console. That's where I met you guys.

Lee I love you all to death but I was not planning to buy another console past PS4/Xbox One. I grew up my online gaming origins with a PC and did not play online until Xbox 360. A mouse and keyboard is more comfortable to me and the endless backwards compatibility that a console cannot offer. Even when I was on Xbox one for the longest time I stayed a very active part of this community and the same would apply if I were to switch over to PC. It's a better investment with my money as a whole. I do not like physical game copies and sales come much more frequently on PC. 

Well Square Enix aren't impressed by the Scorpio as they've committed to putting the Nintendo Switch as a priority ahead of this.

To be honest, we know that the Japanese company likes saying shit just for the sake but it's quite a blow just after the release.

Via the FG App

I'm very interested to see what Microsoft will call the Scorpio and whether it will be integrated into the Xbox One series or marketed as an entirely new console. Personally I cannot see how they can brand it an Xbox One as the disparity between the original and this is just way too significant however; they wont want to alientate or engrage existing Xbox adopters including S owners so they may have no choice but to integrate the overly-powerful Scorpio into their range which consists of an original machine (Grade C defunct) that plays titles like Battlefield 4 in semi-HD. They'd certainly have to tread carefully about any concerns of splitting the One consumer base and whether Scorpio-targeted titles can even run on old gen units from the first phase. 

The 360 generation had a range of consoles from the Premium, Core, Arcade, Elite, Slim and E but most of the differences were around peripherals rather than central hardware like how the Arcade didn't have a HDMI cable or HDD and how the advanced 360 consoles then had those built in along with wi-fi rather than a standalone adapter. The Xbox One situation is way more broad and complex and it'll be intesting to see how Microsoft play it. 

Comparison among the consoles -

**CPU**

* Scorpio - 8 custom cores (described as "evolved" Jaguar cores) clocked at 2.3 GHZ (x86)
* Xbox One - 8 Jaguar cores clocked at 1.75 GHZ
* PS4 Pro - 8 Jaguar cores clocked at 2.1 GHZ

**GPU**

* Scorpio - 40 customized compute units at 1172 Mhz
* Xbox One - 12 GCN compute units at 853 Mhz (914 Mhz on the S)
* PS4 Pro - 36 improved GCN compute units at 911 Mhz

**Memory and memory bandwidth**

* Scorpio - 12 GB GDDR5, 326 GB/s bandwidth
* Xbox One - 8 GB DDR3 + 32 MB ESRAM, 68 GB/s for DDR3 and 204 GB/s for the ESRAM.
* PS4 Pro - 8 GB GDDR5, 218 GB/s bandwidth

**Hard drive**

* Scorpio - 1 TB HDD
* Xbox One - 500 GB/1 TB/2 TB HDD
* PS4 Pro - 1 TB HDD

**Optical Drive**

* Scorpio - 4K UHD Blu-Ray
* Xbox One - Blu Ray on Xbox One, 4K UHD Blu-Ray on Xbox One S
* PS4 Pro - Blu-Ray

Other notes from the video:

* "At the front end of the GPU sits the command processor, which takes the instructions from the CPU and processes them. And here's where things get really interesting - Microsoft's engineer's have effectively made a hardware implementation of DX12 integrated directly into the GPU command processor. Draw call instructions on the CPU that would typically require thousands of instructions are now reduced to just 11. Yes, 11. State changes that are also heavy on CPU are now cut down to just 9. Microsoft tells me that this custom hardware alteration should drop CPU rendering workload by half on titles built on DX12 renderers."

* Compute power for the Scorpio GPU is rated at 6.0 TF (compared with 1.31 for the Xbox One, 1.84 for the PS4, and 4.2 for the PS4 Pro).

* "So compared to the new Sony console [PS4 Pro], that's an additional 11% Radeon hardware, but a 27% boost to frequency, combined this gives Scorpio a 43% compute advantage."

* Scorpio will allow 8 GB of RAM for games, compared with 5 GB of RAM available for games on the Xbox One and PS4 Pro. That leaves 4 GB available for the Scorpio OS, meaning it will reportedly be able to render the dashboard at native 4k.

* "[Forza 6] is hitting 4k at 60 frames per second effortlessly. Take a look at the GPU utilization at the top there - 66.19%. Now I personally have seen this demo running on Scorpio hardware and the utilization does vary. I saw it drop as low as 55% with fewer cars on screen, and it can go as high as say 70%. But the point is that this is a straight Xbox One port. The only Scorpio enhancement is the resolution and the inclusion of 4k art assets. This means that, yes, we will see 1080p Xbox One games running at native 4k on Scorpio. But more than that, the fact that the hardware is kind of underutilized means that there's a ton of GPU power left over for making the game look much better."

* "This is a big processor, and it still gets hot. So Microsoft spares no expense here in using a vapor chamber cooling assembly, very similar in design to the high end coolers used on the GTX 1080 and 1080 Ti graphics cards. There are no vents on top of the Scorpio console - heat is pushed out the back of the machine via a large centrifugal fan."

* "Microsoft doesn't want 1080p users to feel left behind. So all Scorpio games will supersample down to 1080p from 4k - and all game modes...high performance, high resolution, whatever, these will be available to all users regardless of their display."