Playstation getting external hard drive support (Finally!)

GazzaGarratt

It's in beta testing currently and will look to support up to 8TB drives. No more deleting! Honestly, can't say how explain how happy I am about this. Reinstalling games that takes forever is so annoying and stops me playing games with some of you guys just because I haven't got the space. More space to capture videos too.

Saving your own wallpaper is also in the beta test and saving a status update to your PSN.

I better start looking into 8TB drives then.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS4 will be my last console purchase ever I think, now I have the Steam Link I can play from the sofa just like console.

My GPU GTX 770 is ancient now but I'm still playing most games on ultra settings and getting 60+ FPS.

I've got 200+ games and room for plenty more. If I want to add more storage, no problem.

PSN is wank.  I had an xbox 360 for many years, rarely was xbox live unavailable. PSN seems to be down at least once a week.

My PS4 is only a year old, new generation, and I'm already noticing issues. My (2nd) xbox 360 which I keep on the bedroom tv works better. Enough for me to still pay for xbox live. Crossover between xbox and pc is getting more and more blurred.

I hate aim assist. On PC aiming and shooting is a joy, and skill based. I can use a controller but prefer not to. 

I'm having a lunchtime pint and i'm rambling. Hey ho.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

23 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

Yeah I like having toys when I can afford them and the Scorpio is intriguing...but PC...

I won't understand people buying that thing. If the price point is projected to be 500-700 USD you can buy a computer at that price...

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

12 hours ago, PlasticGaming said:

I won't understand people buying that thing. If the price point is projected to be 500-700 USD you can buy a computer at that price...

A lot of people cannot deal with the maintenance and upgrades associated with PCs. Just look game to game on how you have to figure if your current machine runs that latest game. With a close system it either does or it doesn't 

13 hours ago, phil bottle said:

I hate aim assist. On PC aiming and shooting is a joy, and skill based. I can use a controller but prefer not to. 

And that would be why gamers like me use a console :) Computers exist to do shit so I don't have to. Including aiming. But seriously there are a lot more people with marginal skill than people like you guys who want to be able to play a game and enjoy it. 

^ lol I get that 

Maintenance. I've had my PC for 3.5  years. Other than an electricity surge frying a port which meant I had to attach a new ethernet to the motherboard there has been zero maintenance required. 

Geforce Experience optimises my games for me and I can play about with settings to my hearts content but only if i feel like tinkering. And who doesn't like a bit of tinkering eh

You only have to worry "will my machine play it?" if you have a shit PC. 

I'll update the GPU this year, don't really need to, but the Nvidia 10 series is awesome.

My CPU is over clocked to 4.4ghz so i may never need to touch it.

The only drawback for PC is having to buy my games at a cheaper price than condole, that's really annoying :);)

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I must admit for an avid console fan i'm disappointed that it feels more like going towards a PC. Even I acknowledge that I liked a physical copy of a game, but if the base game needs an immediate download to help play it then my mind tells me in a few years to come it won't be supported and the game will be redundant. Hate thinking that way so i push it to the back of my mind but it is reality.

I'm hoping that more games will be made for console that have an offline mode too or even better a local server support so it'll never go out of business. I'll be buying more consoles for sure. It's far better than having to feel I have to continuously upgrade a PC and regularly clean it as they all feckin eventually run slower #threadderail #awaitingPCmasterracebacklash

6 minutes ago, crispymorgan said:

Silence console noob. The grown ups are talking.

*PC noob donkeyfucker. Get it right if you're going to troll me. I like to be different, i'm not fond of sheep :262_sheep::18_kissing_heart:

Goo goo ga ga

I'm pleased to report DO NOT buy an intergrated USB hub on the HDD. The 8TB HDD I got from my Dad (on sale in Argos right now) isn't supported by the PS4. :40_rage:

Seagate 4TB HDD does work (no intergrated USB you'll be glad to hear).

Already reinstalled 7 games and moved all current games installed to HDD so leaves the inbuilt one for capture content and saved data.

I've not seen any issue with load times either which is great to see.

On 12 March 2017 at 0:30 AM, GazzaGarratt said:

Seagate 4TB HDD does work (no intergrated USB you'll be glad to hear).

Already reinstalled 7 games and moved all current games installed to HDD so leaves the inbuilt one for capture content and saved data.

I've not seen any issue with load times either which is great to see.

great to hear dude! Looking forward to picking one up and having room ferr dayz

So I've reinstalled all 42 physical games I own, all updates downloaded plus another 8 digital free games I already have on the PS4.

Its used 1.47TB which leaves 2.23TB left. It somehow mysteriously loses 0.3GB of room so bear that in mind if you are thinking of a 1TB or 2TB HDD.