What is it going to be? (new project)

Drifter

Well I had an idea for a new project so lets see if anyone here can guess what it could possibly be just from the collection of materials so far :) 

There's a 20" x 48" piece of glass from an old aquarium front viewing panel (need to strip the white paint off it still)

A 20" x 48" cloth banner/flag from one of my favorite movies (The Expendables)

On order is 15ft of 5050 LED RGB light strips with remote and power supply

There's a decent pile of 2 x 4" and 1 x 6" lumber

Also some various items like 12v power strip and USB port hub

Any guesses?

misc%20001_zps6dpaayg2.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You nailed it first try. Going to build a desk and use the glass at the top recessed into the wood frame. Then the Banner will be mounted below the glass with about 4" in between the glass and banner, then the LED's will be mounted inside the perimeter of the desk so it lights up the banner. Should be a pretty neat look once completed.

That's awesome Steve! When this is done, make sure to share the 'How To' guide for us wannabe DIY people that would love to have this.

1 hour ago, Drifter said:

I'll give you the choice between a worn pair of diddums shorts, or a copy of Atari ET :1310_thumbsup_tone1:

I would absolutely have that ET game. Didds shorts wouldn't be your type Euan :6_smile:

misc%20001_zpslh0tk7ai.jpg

Got the basic frame of the desk roughed in now. Recessed the glass by running 3/4" wood strips to support the glass on, once done I will line the surface between the glass & wood with some felt strips I bought. Also plan on going back to dual monitors. Ordered the proper cables yesterday so I can run my 40" Sharp Aquos LED TV as my main monitor and then my 23" widescreen as a side monitor, both mounted on swing arms.

10 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

That looks real nice Steve, can't believe you've nearly finished it already! What colour are the LEDs or are they multi-coloured?

I ordered 15ft of RGB LED's with remote off ebay last week. So they can be blue, red,green, orange pretty much any color with the push of a button.

4 hours ago, PlasticGaming said:

Steve, you work at the same pace that would put a Christmas Elf to shame. How are you this efficient?

OCD my friend lol. It's a curse and a gift to have OCD. It stresses me out a lot because I fixate on tiny things no one else would even bother with, but it also motivates me to stay on taste so once I start something I usually work 10-15 hrs straight on it.  Got the 40" tv set up and 23" side monito and all done now last night. I'll snap another pic in a bit after I get back from lunch with a friend.