No Man's Lie

Sean Murray and Hello Games in general have been criticised for their vague and rather lackluster approach to conveying some of the features of No Man's Sky when questioned by the media but one thing was for certain was the ability to meet other players albeit the chances of this being nigh-impossible due to the size of the universe. However; this feat was reached yesterday where two players were on the same planet and despite arranging a meet; they could not see each other despite operating with pinpoint accuracy. 'Server issues' were to blame by the shocked and red faced Murray that this was accomplished so soon and actually done at all but such a momentous moment for the game was actually quite a disappointing outcome and embarrassing for Hello Games. Since then; people have been questioning the credibility of this feature and have dipped into what has been communicated and whether people have been deliberately misled on the basis of something that the devs weren't expecting to happen. Wonder if they just inflated certain aspects of this game for pure pre-release PR expecting players not to ever access such claims or whether it is possible but poorly executed. This tease hasn't helped Murray either way:-

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, L_C_Scipio said:

Why do you assume that he lied about it? Launch day server issues aren't exactly unheard of.

The 'multiplayer/social' aspect as a whole. As seen in the video; this is just a snippet of him talking about the MP portion which was now been completely debunked to not actually exist. It's been proven that no two players can ever appear on the same server so there is zero chance of two players ever meeting in the game. The only social shared features is if you stumble upon a discovered planet and if the user registered the planet; the name is the only detail that will show as merely a statistical packet of data. I know this isn't supposed to be an MP game as such but I don't think it's appropriate that developers lie or inflate features to mislead consumers. 

I've held of buying this.  Meeting up with people would be my number 1 priority.  Even if it was so difficult that it became the objective of the game.  Looks like it should be free to play.

20 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

I shall also buy a monkeybike......

Here's a boxed copy with a PEGI 7 rating and that's it....but wait..

nmsbefore.jpg

...here's the same box but with this phantom sticker removed only to reveal PEGI 12 and a tab that say's 'Online Multiplayer' that was covered up

nmsafter.jpg

The MMO and Multiplayer tabs on Steam were also removed recently too. 

2 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

The 'multiplayer/social' aspect as a whole. As seen in the video; this is just a snippet of him talking about the MP portion which was now been completely debunked to not actually exist. It's been proven that no two players can ever appear on the same server so there is zero chance of two players ever meeting in the game. The only social shared features is if you stumble upon a discovered planet and if the user registered the planet; the name is the only detail that will show as merely a statistical packet of data. I know this isn't supposed to be an MP game as such but I don't think it's appropriate that developers lie or inflate features to mislead consumers. 

I'm still not following how a feature not working as intended on day 1 means that it's been "proven that two players can never interact".

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're implying that Sean Murray knew all along that two players could never actually meet and just said it to build hype and because he didn't think anyone could ever call his bluff. I'm just not seeing any evidence for that.

7 hours ago, L_C_Scipio said:

I'm still not following how a feature not working as intended on day 1 means that it's been "proven that two players can never interact".

Because the only shared aspect of the universe is a statistical server packet which covers only planetary names and statistics which is the only data forwarded to the generated hive. Players connected to PSN each have their own lobby ID and cannot transition to another one or invite someone into theirs. It's therefor not a question of the feature not working day one; but not actually existing and could perhaps explain why the tags were removed and the pre-produced boxes were modified with a sticker.

A full list has been compiled of all the omitted, missing and bullshitted features https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4y046e/wheres_the_nms_we_were_sold_on_heres_a_big_list/?st=irxvsq99&sh=1ddc70f3

Pretty staggering to see how much material isn't in the game and that they still charged full price for it without any explanation as to where the features that were promised are or why they were removed. Huge pressure on Murray now from all directions.