Forum Suggested Improvements / Enhancements

If there's other thoughts and feelings about the experience on the site don't forget to let us know.

Always good to know what people would like, not like and things that they want changing or not changing because the love it.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

1 hour ago, crispymorgan said:

I generally browse via the unread thingy.  Is there a way to make it jump to the last post and not the first?

You just click the star Crispy rather than the thread header. That's how I browse most of the time.

1 hour ago, Diddums said:

The like system is doing my head in. Not only does it not tell me who likes my posts, but it also gives me an audible notification.

Quite easily the best like of the day for me :D

I'm pretty sure you can just turn the notifications off for like btw. I'll check.

Maybe get rid of top posters on the lower right and put a "hot thread" section?

I think we had that before

just an idea. Also, can we collapse the upcoming event section in some way?

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

5 hours ago, Sennex said:

Maybe get rid of top posters on the lower right and put a "hot thread" section?

I think we had that before

just an idea. Also, can we collapse the upcoming event section in some way?

I can definitely have a look at those Bart.

The top posters is now in the Leaderboard section at top so probably could shorten it to top 1/2/3 now and move around. Would like top rep too but thats a small addition. 

I can look to add hot threads, we have the slider at the top which shows featured threads so its a similar tool. Btw, i dont like how much space is taken by the slider header, looks strange so may remove it.

What would you say is 'hot' threads?

• Removed featured FG news header as it was taking too much space up
  • Added Calendar events features (see separate thread here)
  • Added latest topics feed to homepage

• Removed Titanfall 2 as a sub-forum

• Removed Rocket League as a sub-forum

In Progress

• Discord homepage link to FG server and members
  • Donation link will come back (need to just write a topic before adding but will do it later)
  • Destiny forum structure

Considerations/Opinions required

• Removal of Warframe sub-forum
  • Removal of Battlefield sub-forum

How long has the "Next unread topic" and "Go to topic listing" at the bottom of the page been around?

Just found it by mistake, but that is just great! Here I have been using Go to top/Arrow up all the time not knowing this! :lol:

*let the public shaming commense* 

Haha Brede, there's quite a few people that don't realise where things are. It's quite nice though when people do after some time; it's like a little easter egg surprise!

I've added a 'Clear Notifications' option if you want a quick way of getting rid of them. I don't mind them sitting there but for some people it will have it's uses.

Fixed intergration with Facebook and Twitter with your FG profiles. I want to find more syncs to your profiles but i'm playing about to get them to work (instagram, steam, etc). You probably didn't know but Twitter will allow you post your latest status to the status board on here (you can see my last one). This will hopefully help new people register easier going forward but also i'd be keen if you all took a moment to do it. We can look at pulling facebook statuses through as well. You'll always be in control in your settings if you want this feature on your profile.

I'll be focusing hard again on lots to tweaking this place needs so is there anything you all want me to look into?

1 hour ago, Rumelylady said:

What about Twitch? Is that something that can be integrated? Or would anyone even be interested in that at all?

We can definitely look into this Sarah. We already have a Twitch stream widget with some of our profiles linked. What type of intergration are you thinking?

2 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

We can definitely look into this Sarah. We already have a Twitch stream widget with some of our profiles linked. What type of intergration are you thinking?

Ah! Guess I just really haven't been paying too much attention then. Ignore me lol

1 hour ago, Rumelylady said:

Ah! Guess I just really haven't been paying too much attention then. Ignore me lol

Haha! Geniunely though, if you think it needs moving or key twitch channels need to be added, i'll gladly add them. Members of FG that have a twitch account can let me know and i'll add them on so we can internally promote them.

I fixed the Discord Widget! :D That means the 'Join Us' button will now give you an automatic invite to the #general channel within Discord. As it starts to grow we'll ensure we get some guidelines on it because this place should remain as a use for in game chat for large parties and PC play. We can also use it for notifications on calendar events and new topics (when we turn it on). We'll start a separate thread on it so people now what the deal is.

I'll be spending some time this week where I can to make some other tweaks where possible so FG is up to date and ready for September when we're all back in the zone for gaming.

On the list is the site structure as mentioned in other threads. It would be good to know if there is anything else people would like to see integrated too or fun things to have available.

As I've mentioned before, I'm on holiday for 2 weeks now. Whilst I hate being away from here, there's real life stuff to sort and also recharge from my work. If I'm quieter than normal, I just wanted you all to know that nothing is up, I'll be just with the family having quality time.

(Now watch me be here continously for the next 2 weeks :D)

Get your ideas and thoughts in please.

Stay safe FG.

Hi, good thread. Just thinking as new to forums, is they a easy to use guide? As I am not sure where to look. I guess after using the site frequently it will be like riding a bike, but at the moment not quite sure where to post a request. May be a video could be good.

The forum is kind of self explanatory, unless you are on mobile.

If you want to read about Destiny, then go to the Destiny section... If you want Call of Duty, then go there.

If a game doesn't have a specific forum then look in the forum that has the name of the genre it is in.

Also, read the description under the Forum header, on the main page.

If you are on mobile, then you might be boned

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

14 hours ago, Sennex said:

The forum is kind of self explanatory, unless you are on mobile.

If you want to read about Destiny, then go to the Destiny section... If you want Call of Duty, then go there.

If a game doesn't have a specific forum then look in the forum that has the name of the genre it is in.

Also, read the description under the Forum header, on the main page.

If you are on mobile, then you might be boned

This is pretty much what you want to know DaveyDave @IPSWICH HIGASHI. I think when we spoke about some of this ages ago, I also think you're looking for quick tips on how to start threads and topics. I've seen you create one which hopefully was pretty easy?

The other way to read stuff (or how I do it most of the time) is by using the 'Unread Content' button. On PC it is near the top right just above the forums. On your mobile browser it is the one of the 3 big buttons at the top so you can't go wrong.

If you're interested I have all 4 ways to come here (PC, mobile browser, App, Tapatalk) but 95% of my time I use mobile browser because I am out and about. You get to see the smart theme view alongside all the other stuff thats here, like Videos, Calendar, etc. All it requires you to do is use your index finger and touch Chrome on your phone. I always have a tab open for it so i'm straight in, so for other people that have recently said its hard....no, sorry, its just damn lazy (or genuinely you have fat thumbs that can't operate a phone. If that's the case I don't know how you play video games :D)