Forum Suggested Improvements / Enhancements

Social links at the top aren't linked to anything. Might want to link them or perhaps hide with CSS...?

I don't know what the links under the user's sidebar profile are for (Twitter/YT/Steam/Twitch/etc.) The grey ones to the left of the Quote/Go to top links.

Is there any way to build in better support for external images since we have limits to local storage? I don't know if this BB has things like plugins, but to be able to add an image to an image sharing site (imgur, etc), directly within the forum, instead of pasting in the external URL, would be lovely.

Cheers for the voodoo that you do so well.
Thanks for pointing this out Shucks, I'll find some time over the next few days to clear that up and make them work again. I think our last upgrade, wiped them.

47 minutes ago, jordie1892 said:

Just thought I'd let you guys know, it's been a long time since I last took a proper look around the forum, and its definitely come a long way! It's looking clean and organised, you've done a real nice job!

Cheers bud, it's come along way and we're still getting there but it's really all down to everyone that keeps coming here and contributing. If that keeps going and new people keep on popping in becoming new regulars, then we'll be all good. Good to have you back around buddy👍

Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! 

Two things:

One is that there are far too many smileys / emojis / whatever. It takes fucking ages to load a million slightly different picture of a caravan, see if you can trim them down. 

And when I'm not logged in I can see who's responded to posts, but as soon as I log in, I can only see how many, but not who they are. I'll fuck around with the skins a bit as I suspect it may be a user setting but I wanted to see if this is the same for anyone else as well in the mean time. I'll see if I can figure it out at some point, but I worked until 2am last night so I'm getting a fucktonne of sleep in today.

banlol.png

Anyone sometimes randomly get 

"Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@gridhost.co.uk and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log."

Just happened few minutes ago.

1 hour ago, Spacedeck said:

Anyone sometimes randomly get 

"Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@gridhost.co.uk and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log."

Just happened few minutes ago.

I don't but this is really good to know Space, thanks for heads up. Please keep me informed on how much it happens 👍 I'll investigate it tonight when I can get on my PC.

On 10/18/2018 at 6:40 AM, Diddums said:

Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! Leigh! 

Two things:

One is that there are far too many smileys / emojis / whatever. It takes fucking ages to load a million slightly different picture of a caravan, see if you can trim them down. 

And when I'm not logged in I can see who's responded to posts, but as soon as I log in, I can only see how many, but not who they are. I'll fuck around with the skins a bit as I suspect it may be a user setting but I wanted to see if this is the same for anyone else as well in the mean time. I'll see if I can figure it out at some point, but I worked until 2am last night so I'm getting a fucktonne of sleep in today.

I'll look into it, I just do what Brede does mostly though 😎😂

On 10/16/2018 at 1:22 PM, Shucker said:

Forgot one thing. Does the BB offer a way to put a notification badge in the browser tab?

I'd love to, notifications via browser would solve a lot of our issues whilst we have to wait on a far superior App. I'd need some technical support on it as its currently beyond my capabilities.

Seems a widget is also causing issues. Just got this on mobile while clicking on the GT Sports Time Trials thread. 

Fatal error: require(): Failed opening required '/var/sites/f/forevergaming.co.uk/public_html/forum/datastore/widgets.a5c09042ea.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php-5.6.37-flock/lib/php') in /var/sites/f/forevergaming.co.uk/public_html/forum/system/Data/Store/FileSystem.phpon line 105

I was wondering if we could curate a collection of free and open source games that we could make available on here or at least signpost to the sites where they are available to download.  Stuff like Chromium B.S.U & FreeDoom which I have played and can tell you they're good and addictive.  It could be fun?  Also, did anyone ever suggest a chatbox in the past?

54 minutes ago, SPFreely said:

I was wondering if we could curate a collection of free and open source games that we could make available on here or at least signpost to the sites where they are available to download.  Stuff like Chromium B.S.U & FreeDoom which I have played and can tell you they're good and addictive.  It could be fun?  Also, did anyone ever suggest a chatbox in the past?

11 minutes ago, NCA-Paendrag said:

We had a shoutbox earlier. Good riddance I say. 

There is a capability which we could purchase that allows a user to upload and download files - we've never had a need but this could be explored if there was more interest. We also would have to consider the cost. I'd love to get this place recognised more for the sake of all the wonderful people here, just have to balance things up.

Shoutbox came here before my time and was found to discourage posts and threads on here so it got shelved. People do you use WhatsApp and Discord (we have a FG discord channel, whatsapp doesn't work the same) to "chat" and that will happen regardless of this place. The era of instant notifications and quick messaging is how many want to operate. I'll embrace whatever we all want to use as long as people don't forget that the central home of FG is the website as there's more here (posts, info, videos, quizzes, events, widgets that much more, etc) than all other platforms we're on.

Like with most things, there's usually a cost and time investment involved but these shouldn't be blockers if we want things. We can make it happen if a lot want it.

Currently doing some technical updates behind the scenes. Bear with FG if its falls over a little bit in the next few hours
Sorry guys. I spilled my beer on the site control board again.

Via the FG App

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

28 minutes ago, crispymorgan said:
Can we add FG award titles to those that got one?

Perfect idea. Just need to work that out how to show it.

I think there are too many categories. The featured games section has a lot of games I don't see many people even playing right now. You also haven't had a mention of PUBG since April and the game is in bad shape overall. Sea of Thieves since May. I think you should have x percentage of the community regulars playing a game to get it's own section and if that's not met you can make a mega thread (almost like a PPR for the game that an FG champion could keep updated)

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

1 hour ago, The3rdWalker said:

I think there are too many categories. The featured games section has a lot of games I don't see many people even playing right now. You also haven't had a mention of PUBG since April and the game is in bad shape overall. Sea of Thieves since May. I think you should have x percentage of the community regulars playing a game to get it's own section and if that's not met you can make a mega thread (almost like a PPR for the game that an FG champion could keep updated)

I tend to agree.

Fallout 76 - for example - will not get a lot of traction as it's only me playing it. Doesn't need its own section.

Overwatch, COD, Destiny and RDR2 are fine but I'd say the rest can go. Save them for Whatsapp maybe...as some FGers seem to prefer to talk games there.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Website going through an update in a moment - please note themes and some elements of the website may have issues whilst we update.

I'll post back to inform you once we are upgraded and to mention any bugs and issues if you see them.

Thanks

On 8/11/2019 at 4:13 PM, Dan94 said:

Would be cool to bring back Poster of the Month as a suggestion 👍

I'd really like to but it was something I realised I couldn't maintain with all the other updates i was trying to do. I'll see if the other admins can support this with me as it would be good to see it there - if we had it back, what type of criteria would you care about how we judged it? Amount of posts? contribution to website only? etc. Be good to know what people care about.

On 8/15/2019 at 2:41 PM, The3rdWalker said:

You need to ditch the dead sections still. 

Yeah, I'm you know i'm not a fan of ditching more but I agree - then again, they all need some action otherwise we'll be left with just one big section.

22 hours ago, Shucker said:

I often forget about the "All Activity" feed, which I've now bookmarked. It's a nice and quick way to jump into a convo and see what's "trending". Not sure if making it more prominent is helpful or not for most people, but I like it.

Yeah, I use that all the time. "Unread replies from topics I've posted in" is real handy too