Stellaris

Sennex

Any of you all tried it?

I snagged a copy of it, and was able to play for a few hours.

It feels more like what I wanted out of Beyond Earth than what BE actually delivered.

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Yep, I've got about 26 hours on record so far and it's a great game. The tutorial is magnificent in helping you get started and learning the general mechanics along with features and I'll be trying Ironman mode soon when the latest patch has arrived. The game starts off amazing but occasionally staggers particularly in the midgame. Certainly more victory conditions are required and a little bit more depth with things like diplomacy along with AI tweaks but when Paradox get this right; it'll be a fine grand strategy title. 

Do the presidential elections even matter? They didn't appear to when I was playing

Also, I really wish you could split a stack of citizens up. in the few hours I played, I had 3 land areas that were developed but with zero population in them yet. If I moved people then it moved the whole stack of 4-5. Why can't I just move 1?

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Do the presidential elections even matter? They didn't appear to when I was playing

Also, I really wish you could split a stack of citizens up. in the few hours I played, I had 3 land areas that were developed but with zero population in them yet. If I moved people then it moved the whole stack of 4-5. Why can't I just move 1?

I've given up with the elections as they cost too much influence and you need to save this for later on in the game by building higher value buildings and Frontier Outposts which is crucial for expanding your borders and gaining systems whereby you haven't colonised any planets on them but can claim the resources. There isn't many ways to earn influence and you have to spend it to hire leaders such as generals, scientists and governors which can soon add up the more you expand and taking their age into consideration.  The elections seem rather pointless as the candidates are quite limited and only have two mandates so it doesn't really matter if the person hired is a orbital researcher or a glorified miner in terms of focus and it costs 50 influence to support them. 

Okay, thats what I noticed, but I wasn't sure.

Over all I enjoy the game, but I felt like I wasn't moving fast enough. I hit 2250 (or so), and had a ton of things explored, but was still struggling to meet production costs for Fleets. I had mined everything I could in Sol, and was moving onto the neighboring systems.

Which I think is fine, but I honestly felt as if I should have been moving faster

Okay, thats what I noticed, but I wasn't sure.

Over all I enjoy the game, but I felt like I wasn't moving fast enough. I hit 2250 (or so), and had a ton of things explored, but was still struggling to meet production costs for Fleets. I had mined everything I could in Sol, and was moving onto the neighboring systems.

Which I think is fine, but I honestly felt as if I should have been moving faster

As long as you are farming enough energy credits from mining outposts in galaxies or through colonised planets; you can go overboard even though your upkeep costs will be increased by 20% but certain research can whittle that down. I was operating at 126/143 and still needed to build a load of Destroyers and Cruisers to keep up with rival nations. I just had to ignore the limitations and as long as I had enough energy credits and minerals flowing; it wasn't actually a massive problem in the long run thankfully. I can't understand why the ship limit is always so low in capacity though. 

Was going to start a new thread on this as it seems to have gotten some recent exposure from some youtubers, but stumbled upon this old thread.

Sounds like it's had some great updates and can now have a 6 species war of some kind.

Anyone still play it or can shed more light on this one?

(We'll also move this to space sims).

I really need to get back into Stellaris especially with the 2.0 update recently released along with the Apocalypse DLC. I bet quite a bit has changed as Paradox really do push the boat out when improving and adding to their games and that's not taking into account any extra content. I may have to replay the tutorial just to refresh my memory! 

4 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

I really need to get back into Stellaris especially with the 2.0 update recently released along with the Apocalypse DLC. I bet quite a bit has changed as Paradox really do push the boat out when improving and adding to their games and that's not taking into account any extra content. I may have to replay the tutorial just to refresh my memory! 

I seen a bit of the new DLC and this looks impressive. Like I said before I really want to get into this game. I'd loved to get an alliance with someone on a server.

12 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I seen a bit of the new DLC and this looks impressive. Like I said before I really want to get into this game. I'd loved to get an alliance with someone on a server.

Definitely worth picking up especially in the sale as the price drops considerably. Keep an eye on this site for all PC games https://isthereanydeal.com/ which tracks live pricing on numerous sites to get the best deal(s) possible on games and DLC. 

10 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Definitely worth picking up especially in the sale as the price drops considerably. Keep an eye on this site for all PC games https://isthereanydeal.com/ which tracks live pricing on numerous sites to get the best deal(s) possible on games and DLC. 

I'm really annoyed I didn't have the cash to get it last week when it was on sale. Cheers for the link.

On 06/03/2018 at 8:57 PM, GazzaGarratt said:

I'm really annoyed I didn't have the cash to get it last week when it was on sale. Cheers for the link.

£12 here if you're interested https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/stellaris-pc-cd-key-steam and that price will likely remain at that level from that site so you can grab it whenever you have some pennies spare. 

I picked up Apocalypse and the Synthetic Dawn DLC today so I'm good to go - just need to find the spare time now! 

1 hour ago, J4MES OX4D said:

£12 here if you're interested https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/stellaris-pc-cd-key-steam and that price will likely remain at that level from that site so you can grab it whenever you have some pennies spare. 

I picked up Apocalypse and the Synthetic Dawn DLC today so I'm good to go - just need to find the spare time now! 

That's a brilliant deal James, nice one for finding and sharing.

I’ve watched a few videos on this and it looks good.  It’s been a long time since I played any sort of strategy game.  Are guys playing the base game or with the DLC’s.  I’ve read a lot of comments saying the DLC’s really add to the game but buying the game and all the DLC is quite a chunk on a new game.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

3 hours ago, Greboth said:

I’ve watched a few videos on this and it looks good.  It’s been a long time since I played any sort of strategy game.  Are guys playing the base game or with the DLC’s.  I’ve read a lot of comments saying the DLC’s really add to the game but buying the game and all the DLC is quite a chunk on a new game.

I have all the DLC's but you don't really need any of them as the core free updates make up the meat of the improvements and the DLC usually just adds minor things such as new races or gameplay features that aren't a necessity. Paradox's content policy is rather confusing and complex especially to unfamiliar players as the DLC's can be tied in with the new updates. Many people are enraged by the developers holding back essential gameplay mechanics behind DLC paywalls on games like Europa Universalis IV but with Stellaris it's not half as bad as most mechanics can be used in the base game and the expansions aren't really required but are worthwhile in some respects. 

Stellaris's expansions worth getting especially at a reduced price in the sale is the Synthetic Dawn pack which adds robotic AI which can be great to play as or against especially as there are story elements also added to the campaign rather than just being a basic generic race. Utopia is the first expansion and that allows for megastructures and more advanced government features - not ideal but adds some extra depth. Apocalypse which is the second major expansion that was just released recently adds space pirates and more end game elements such as planet killing colossus weapons - this stuff is more for the end-game. The DLC is quite pricey and non-essential especially as the 2.0 update which was free, contains the bulk of the new features. Worth picking up in the sale down the line after you've become familiar with the game. The rest of the DLC is fairly minor and surrounds portraits, new races and minor story extras. 

The total DLC cost is about £35 at full price but that can easily be whittled down to about £27 in the current sale. The base game alone is worth playing as is though and anything else can be experienced in the future. 

I can't wait to try this out, even more so of us get it. The cdkeys offer is fantastic.

A mate at work I'm trying to get involved has it and the recent free 2.0 update has overhauled the game and effectively made it brand new again.

Got to commend a developer to support in this way. Makes me already considering the DLC because of that.

Thanks for the that @J4MES OX4D it sounds like the vanilla game is good enough to be getting on with for now then and the DLC can be picked up later.

2 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I can't wait to try this out, even more so of us get it. The cdkeys offer is fantastic.

A mate at work I'm trying to get involved has it and the recent free 2.0 update has overhauled the game and effectively made it brand new again.

Got to commend a developer to support in this way. Makes me already considering the DLC because of that.

Have you not bought it yet Lee?

It was the cdkeys offer I was looking at too.  I know there is a multiplayer in it too which could be good to try if there is a few of us.  Though I'm not sure how it works being that the game could go on for hours and hours? Like, does one person host it and we would have to arrange a time everyone could make to continue it?  Even if we don't go multiplayer, a few of us learning it all at the same time would be good :)

1 hour ago, Greboth said:

Thanks for the that @J4MES OX4D it sounds like the vanilla game is good enough to be getting on with for now then and the DLC can be picked up later.

Have you not bought it yet Lee?

It was the cdkeys offer I was looking at too.  I know there is a multiplayer in it too which could be good to try if there is a few of us.  Though I'm not sure how it works being that the game could go on for hours and hours? Like, does one person host it and we would have to arrange a time everyone could make to continue it?  Even if we don't go multiplayer, a few of us learning it all at the same time would be good :)

Yeah, I got it with the last bit of birthday money :D This was on my list of must buys so now I have it I really want to work out what you've asked. I'm pretty sure you can leave it and come back to it. Not sure if its on local server or not? Really hope we can get some games on this and squad up.

Nice Lee :) I downloaded it last night and only meant to have a quick go which turned out to be several hours - oops!  It is going to take a while to get used to it all and keep track of it all as there is a lot going on.  Especially keeping my ships busy, I kept finding my science and construction ships were doing nothing so I need to monitor them closer.

I think the only thing I can say so far is the tutorial could be a bit better, especially right at the beginning, as it tells you to do stuff but gives no indication of what menu or sub-menu to go in to or shortcut key to press.

On 1/6/2018 at 7:52 PM, GazzaGarratt said:

Here's what I just watched on it.

Damn you Lee for posting this! I thought "just take a quick look to see what all the fuss is about..." 6 episodes later!! :-)

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork