So, I may get to be a contributing author to an upcoming book

Docwagon

I sent in my first draft.  The chapter is roughly 75% complete and completely unedited at this point, but just to verify content and format was what they had in mind.  Feedback was positive, so...neat.

I've not been informed of the title or the release date yet.  My dead line is in late June.

Damn, you cranked that right out

It's existing material that I use in classes and statistics I've kept.  That's how the primary author became aware of me.  Essentially I'm taking something I normally present in person, changing the format to written, adding more narrative elements since there's no way to live demonstrate, and then going over the lessons that particular incident imparts.  

...adding more narrative elements since there's no way to live demonstrate, and then going over the lessons that particular incident imparts.

Have you considered doing a pop-out section in your chapter? Could help with being able to demonstrate :D

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

Book was released earlier this summer:  https://www.amazon.com/Straight-Talk-Armed-Defense-Experts/dp/1440247544

I know I've not posted here in awhile, but thought some folks might be interested.  I don't make any additional royalties based on number of books sold or the like, I've already been paid what I'm going to get out of the project.  I say that just so you know I've got no financial interest in recommending it.  I do think it's a worth the read.  Combine it with Massad's "In the Gravest Extreme", Gavin di Becker's "The Gift of Fear",  and Rory Miller's "Conflict Communication" and "Facing Violence" and you've got a pretty decent foundation to start being serious about self defense.  You'll get a good primer on avoidance, deescalation, unarmed and armed self defense, and dealing with the aftermath.

Oh, and I've also got an ongoing writing gig with Lucky Gunner:  http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/author/spencerblue/ and am still running a few training classes a year through Bright Firearms Training.  We've got students from as far away as Washington DC for the fall class coming up next month.

7 hours ago, McNasty said:

Good to hear from you doc, hope all is good.  Would be nice to see you around more

This Doc. This place is always a better place with you mate.

Great to hear that the book is out and you've managed to pick up that gig. I read a little bit of the try view and it looks quite interesting, how long did it take you to get it done from start to finish?

5 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

This Doc. This place is always a better place with you mate.

Great to hear that the book is out and you've managed to pick up that gig. I read a little bit of the try view and it looks quite interesting, how long did it take you to get it done from start to finish?

I appreciate the sentiments.  I didn't really track how long I worked on it.  I think three drafts before the final version.  It didn't take real long as I already had all of the info in other formats.

The longest one to write so far has been the snub nose sight comparison for Lucky Gunner, which took me about a month.  I wanted to shoot each set "cold" so as to not bias the testing, so I waited a week between each shoot.

As far as be hanging around here, I honestly don't know.  This felt like unfinished business, so I came back to wrap it up.

So, here's the deal.  I want to make it clear that this isn't about individuals, personalities, etc.  I want to make this clear I don't blame anyone or have any ill feelings toward anyone. 

Just a bit prior to the forum drama of another split, I was in a gunfight with a robbery suspect.  The details aren't for the Internet or relevant to the discussion, but the take away was I was uninjured and he was dead and I got over a month of admin leave.  It was a good shoot, not controversial, no protests or lawsuits, about as clean cut as a shooting can be.  After a gunfight, which is incredibly vivid and intense, it takes awhile to adjust to "normal" again.  Everything seems boring and dull.  Issues that used to seem important seem petty and uninteresting.  It takes a bit to transition back to regular life, and you try to gain some sense of normalcy and routine to help that process.  So, that's where I was when the forum split.  I suddenly had a lot of free time on my hands, wanted to "hang out" with people who didn't know (because when you hang out with people who do know, they inevitably want to ask about it), and be free of drama.  When the forum split, I viewed it as the pettiest of bullshit and was angry because a bit of my normalcy was under assault due to the pettiest of bullshit.  Now, I understand that if the guy next to you is missing his arm it doesn't make your toothache hurt any less, but I wasn't in that mind set then.

Again, I want to be clear I don't blame anyone or think less of anyone.  The end result, though, is I don't view this forum the same.  Not exactly negative association, but not pleasant either.  I do not feel like I belong in the post-schism group.   Combine with I haven't touched the PS4 in months, I'm not sure this is a place for me to contribute.    

Now, this probably sounds more dramatic than it is, I just wanted to explain my thought process.  I'm not sad, regretful, depressed, any of that.  I just think I've changed and the forum has changed and we may not be a good fit any longer.

I appreciate the sentiments.  I didn't really track how long I worked on it.  I think three drafts before the final version.  It didn't take real long as I already had all of the info in other formats.

The longest one to write so far has been the snub nose sight comparison for Lucky Gunner, which took me about a month.  I wanted to shoot each set "cold" so as to not bias the testing, so I waited a week between each shoot.

As far as be hanging around here, I honestly don't know.  This felt like unfinished business, so I came back to wrap it up.

So, here's the deal.  I want to make it clear that this isn't about individuals, personalities, etc.  I want to make this clear I don't blame anyone or have any ill feelings toward anyone. 

Just a bit prior to the forum drama of another split, I was in a gunfight with a robbery suspect.  The details aren't for the Internet or relevant to the discussion, but the take away was I was uninjured and he was dead and I got over a month of admin leave.  It was a good shoot, not controversial, no protests or lawsuits, about as clean cut as a shooting can be.  After a gunfight, which is incredibly vivid and intense, it takes awhile to adjust to "normal" again.  Everything seems boring and dull.  Issues that used to seem important seem petty and uninteresting.  It takes a bit to transition back to regular life, and you try to gain some sense of normalcy and routine to help that process.  So, that's where I was when the forum split.  I suddenly had a lot of free time on my hands, wanted to "hang out" with people who didn't know (because when you hang out with people who do know, they inevitably want to ask about it), and be free of drama.  When the forum split, I viewed it as the pettiest of bullshit and was angry because a bit of my normalcy was under assault due to the pettiest of bullshit.  Now, I understand that if the guy next to you is missing his arm it doesn't make your toothache hurt any less, but I wasn't in that mind set then.

Again, I want to be clear I don't blame anyone or think less of anyone.  The end result, though, is I don't view this forum the same.  Not exactly negative association, but not pleasant either.  I do not feel like I belong in the post-schism group.   Combine with I haven't touched the PS4 in months, I'm not sure this is a place for me to contribute.    

Now, this probably sounds more dramatic than it is, I just wanted to explain my thought process.  I'm not sad, regretful, depressed, any of that.  I just think I've changed and the forum has changed and we may not be a good fit any longer.

Honestly Doc, its great to hear a reason for why you've been away for so long. I can never understand how you felt at that time but all I can do is try and offer an objective view as much as I can of what this place is and why, in my opinion, even from what you have said you fit even more so right now.

I agree with you firstly. I've been here for nearly 3 years now and that random 'idea' (because that's what it was) was the first and only thing to see a 2 people move away. What you wouldn't have seen though was in fact just the 2 people had a cebatical. 1 has come back for a while now and 1 isn't but the door is always open for him like it was at the time.

Everyone else didn't leave. They'll gladly say the same thing I'm sure.

I've got a ton of respect for you and I always have. This place has evolved and geniunely has only got better. Sure, we have some new faces you don't know but we have had some older ones come back and I expect more to follow come September. Both sets would enjoy you being around. They can say if they didn't.

This place to 98% of us is a family. It is so much more than a place to talk about games. I get that new people come here to talk about games first. That's obvious. But that's why more and more of the newer folk are beginning to see for what this place truly is. After you've been here for abit you realise theres more to life than video games and that the people here are a great bunch to hang out with. Thats why it doesn't matter if you haven't played games in a while,that's irrelevant.

I would never ever want to take away from what you've went through at a coincendental point in the past. You're entitled to come and go as you please, like everyone else is.

But if you think you're getting away with thinking you're different to us, I'm sorry but I'll politely disagree. You're family. Like everyone else is. You are just as important as the most regular person here.

Ironically close to your story, life is far too short to overthink, hold a grudge, be petty about random shit as things can change in an instant. This place is a place we can all feel that this is why we live and have a laugh. With friends. With family. And we'll keep on having amazing laughs and great fun along the way whilst we have this one random life.

Doc. You're a good man. Don't ever think you don't fit. You do. And I'll look forward to your next interesting post, like I had been waiting previously.

If others think I'm wrong or disagree at least they can post, as always, and let you know the score like I have.

1 hour ago, Docwagon said:

good riddance, fuck this guy.

(on the real though, i appreciate the context and it's good to hear from you again man, if for no other reason than to hear you're doing well.  respect your reasons, do whatever you gotta do.  but in all seriousness . . .)

Image result for please come back meme

I miss having you post around here doc.  This was never a big forum by any stretch, so I really paid attention to a lot of things you talked about and I always respected your views because I know you're a smart and well read dude.  That's hard to come by in the internets.  I only hang out in the general sections to discuss random life stuff and current events, so gaming isn't really part of anything I do here.  Never has been, so no reason to think that's a necessary component. 

This place is about as drama free as its ever been by a long shot.  We have some really good discussions and it would be nice for you to throw in your input from time to time.   Just look at the Trump thread.  It's over 500 posts long on politics and not a single argument or bickering at all.  I think we've all grown up beyond that, me especially.

Lee has done an amazing job around here and this place is better than it's ever been.  If only you fuckers would delete that WhatsApp nonsense this place would be a lot more lively.

And on a random note, in case anyone was wondering, the eclipse was lame as shit.  I was out playing golf today in an area with 98 percent "totality", and it got sort of dark for about 20 minutes.