EVE Online massive battle taking place

Sennex

So EVE Online is a massive MMO, all players are on the same set of servers in the same world. The game has been going nonstop for about 10+ years now (I devoted about 6 years of my life to the game, sadly)

Anyway, there is a massive battle taking place across several systems. It is a massive PVP Action with around 4500 players duking it out in a few different systems, although they are primarily focused in one system.

In real world money, around $20K has been lost so far.

Basic reasons for the fight (Swiped from Reddit):

Basically, you've got two sides. You have the Imperium (previously named Clusterfuck Coalition, and dominated primarily by the Goonswarm Federation) and the Allies (also known as the Coalition of the Billing, the Moneybadger Coalition, or the Good Guys). The Imperium has been 'top dog' for years, controlling a huge chunk of space. They've been taking territory from a lot of people, going to war with basically everyone, and their leader is somewhat controversial to say the least.

A huge chunk of other people, including reddit's official alliance (TEST Alliance Please Ignore), ganged up to fight back.

They are specifically fighting over one space station/ hub, that is home to about 43,000 players. The station houses the ships, supplies, and assets for the largest alliance in the game. 

There are a ton of Twitch streams up of people involved, and it is a ton of fun to watch it all play out.

Another REddit post that goes into huge details on this and really makes me miss playing the game:

Ok, apparently the twitch links to the streams were killing this comment, so what you should do if you're looking for twitch is go to the EVE Online category on twitch,

This fight is over a Station, specifically a station that's home to one of the largest alliances in the game in the largest coalition in the game, home to over 43,000 people. This station contains a significant portion of the assets of this alliance, which means that if they lose it, they'll have essentially lost not only the fleets they put out to defend it, but also almost everything they own. This would obviously be devastating.

Thus, the CFC/Imperium, the aforementioned largest coalition, has done a max form, with everything from interceptors to Titans and Supers, the largest ships in the game. They, in total, have currently brought out about 1200 people in fleet.

Meanwhile, on the other side, is the Moneybadger Coalition/Good Guys/Coalition of the Billing/Etc. Names may vary, as it's not a coalition in the traditional sense. More a group of pretty much everyone else of note in EVE that isn't Russian. They've banded together to take down the CFC, and have been seeing wildly good success, with the CFC evaccing 2 regions, losing thousands of people to other groups, and suffering easily over a trillion isk in asset losses. Converted to RL money, that's well over US$20,000. Obviously, they did not actually spend that RL money, but it provides a nice anchor point.

Fortunately, EVE just upgraded its hardware, so it's doing better than before, but this is obviously a massive strain. To compensate for this, EVE has something called TiDi, which essentially slows down everything, preventing lag and lost commands. So in 10% tidi, which is what we're in, everything takes 10 times longer to do. This allows the server to process all the actions. However, the maximum tidi is also 10%, which means that past that, you'll start to see very strange things happen, where modules don't activate and similar.

If you have any questions on this, we'll likely be here for a few hours, so I've got plenty of time to answer literally anything you could ever want to know about EVE. Seriously, my guns fire once every 210 seconds.

Also, if this appeals to you in any way, I highly recommend trying out EVE, the trial is free. If you'd like to sign up, just click this link and it'll set you up with a 21 day trial for you to explore EVE. Once you're set up, I highly recommend joining Dreddit, it's an incredible newbro organization, you can read more about it here.

Also, if you do sign up for the trial, feel free to poke me at any point in game for help at Cornak Firefist, I'll make sure you're all set up and good to go.

EDIT: As Gav correctly points out, this one is the hub, had my timers confused. Losing this hub means that a significant amount of assets in terms of system upgrades die, and that all the special things in system like Jump Bridges, which allow you to easily move between distant systems, and Cyno Gens, which allow you to jump ships with jump drives into system 24/7. This would significantly impact their logistics. Further, the death of this ihub resets the strategic indices for this system, which makes it much easier to kill the other structures in system, like the aforementioned station.

EDIT2: Also, if you want to watch the progress semilive on the capture, you can go here or watch any of several twitch streams up not here.

EDIT3: Currently 3100 people in system, with hundreds en route.

EDIT4: Now up to 3400 in local.

EDIT5: 3500, the servers are dying in a fire right now.

EDIT6: Servers are somewhat sorted, still pretty crazy. Stuff is starting to die.

EDIT7: Looks like the momentum is swinging against CFC, there was initially some issues with the servers, which gave the goons who got there first the

advantage, but now the overwhelming numbers are against them.

EDIT8: Killmails are starting to come in, you can see the damage here: http://evf-eve.com/services/brcat/?s=847,848&b=6963540&e=134&t=qfvrufvuvbrfvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvb&r=1Left is CFC, right is notCFC. 1b equals $20.

EDIT9: Goons are retreating from the field, better BR: http://evf-eve.com/services/brcat/?s=847,848&b=6963540&e=194,195&t=qfvruvurvevevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvb&r=1

Also, interesting thing is that CFC is running around killing the entosis boats, so while they may lose the battle horribly, they might actually win the objective. Of course, that just postpones it another day.

EDIT10: For the love of god why won't my guns fire.

EDIT11: Goons are firmly retreating now, they killed 34b and lost 83b. The hub itself is still uncertain but I think goons might get it.

EDIT12: The TEST battleship fleet is currently all bouncing off each other trying to get to a gate.

EDIT13: Goon entosis ships have potentially crashed from tidi so they might actually lose the timer.

EDIT14: Ok, looks like some fleets are about to reengage on a node, so could flare up again. Momentum on the timer is shifting against goons though. http://evemaps.dotlan.net/sovereignty/campaign/16168Whoever hits 100 first wins on there.

EDIT15: Yup, reengagement is happening between 2300 people across the two sides now. The rest are scattered around working to win the objective.

EDIT16: BR is updated, currently http://evf-eve.com/services/brcat/?s=847,848&b=6963540&e=254,255&t=effvvrvuuvbrvrvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvb&r=1184b lost total so far, or $1.8k.

EDIT17: Looks like NotGoons are going to win the objective as well, we're up to 200b lost total with 4k players involved.

EDIT18: It's now 70-30, unless goons have some kind of secret plan they're pretty well screwed.

EDIT19: While things start wrapping up, here's a bunch of pretty pictures from /u/lord_maldoror : http://imgur.com/a/LwUHS

EDIT20: There was a smaller reengagement in one of the systems, it's now up to 340b/4700 players, split 240b v 94b.

EDIT21: Op success, timer is won. And for a bonus, CO2, one of the alliances in the CFC, whose hub was just destroyed, is now opting to leave the CFC after this. They're one of the largest CFC members, which means this is going to cause some major issues for the CFC.

EDIT22: The developer of the game, CCP, has determined that this is the largest fight in gaming history officially, with 4346 or so pilots involved, about 300 more than the previous record of 6VDT.

EDIT23: Goons are now suiciding into us.

EDIT24: Make that 4790 players.

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside:

The really interesting part is when the Pirate Corporations pop out of the woodwork and ambush reinforcements to the fight, or people returning from the fight to re-arm.

Thats when shit will get interesting. There are a few really good, but neutrel Corporations that will use this to grab another system or salvage while the big boys are hurting or not paying attention!

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

You can still get into EVE, thats the great thing about it. It doesn't matter when you start, you can be just as effective with a Newbie ship, as with a Battleship, or Carrier, or any of the behemoths.

Just need to learn your ship and its abilities.

I have been telling you that FOR YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem that Dave will have with EVE is that it is a huge Time Sink. There is a one month learning curve to the game, from that point on you can do whatever you want, and slowly get better at it

Diddums, what game have you even not been bored with?

Crysis 1, all Half Life games, STALKER, Red Alert, WoW, Starcraft 1 & 2, all the Warcraft games, MW2, BO2, Bulletstorm, to name a few. Bart hit the nail on the head really, I don't like having stupid long tutorials in games.

banlol.png

Bart hit the nail on the head really, I don't like having stupid long tutorials in games.

It doesn't help that its just you either, If I had known, I would have played with you, to help out. But I am pretty firmly entrenched in Warframe