Make me a Fan of your Premiership Club

The3rdWalker

So here's the short and sweet. I enjoy watching soccer and generally pop my head out during World Cup and other big tourneys. I'd like to get into watching more.

I route for Italy primarily, as I do enjoy slow methodical and defensive play. Buffon is the man but Serie A isn't that entertaining.

My favorite sports teams usually are all about fundamentals and grinding out wins with smart players (Oakland A's, San Antonio Spurs, Minnesota Vikings).

But with hockey I love the stars, all offense and fuck defense.

So which of your teams should i start routing for?

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chicago BlackHawks FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Although I grew up watching the Washington Caps!)

Seriously though, my son loves Soccer, and I have been trying to get into it more since the last Cup. Have you watched any of the US teams?

http://www.ussoccer.com/

There was a Roku channel that would allow you to stream their games, but damned if I can find it now that I am at the office.

I've asked the Limeys a few times what teams are decent to watch, but they just sorta drone on about Manchester, and Sunderland and some other place..... buncha weirdo's

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Currently, speaking as someone who enjoys football but doesn't support a Premiership team, the current top two Premier League teams, Leicester City and Tottenham Hotspur (Spurs), are quite exciting to watch and seem certain to make it a close finish to the season.

Leicester are most neutrals favourite as they escaped relegation when seemingly doomed last season and have one of the most likable managers in Claudio Ranieri. Their squad was almost put together on the cheap compared to the big boys so it's a bit like a fairy story combined with the middle finger to all the "super" clubs

#gofoxes ??

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

Spurs are an exclusive club I'm afraid.

You have to be able to name all the characters from Only Fools and Horses and know the entire back catalogue of Chas n Dave.

If you can manage that then I'll put a good word in for you.

Challenge accepted?  :ph34r:  :lol:

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I like to refer to American Football as HandEgg

Damn straight!

Anyway.... jordie1892's super long post on why you should support Liverpool!

The-Kop-Wallpaper-30r2q3d04pmts91ug22sqy

• Founded in 1892 (hence my name), Liverpool is a team steeped in history. The second most successful team in English history, we've been through the lowest of the low (look up the Hillsborough disaster and the Justice for the 96 campaign), the highest of the highs (1962-67, 77-85, the 2005 Champions league etc.) and are currently in a time of great upheaval. 

• Our team is definitely not what it used to be, with none of the current squad holding a candle to the likes of Suarez, Gerrard, Dalglish, Rush or other legends. We do however have some promising talents (we have the second youngest team in the prem) with Coutinho, Firmino, Sturridge and Origi leading the line. We're in rollercoaster form this season, having beat Man City 4-1 and 3-0 , Southampton 6-1 and Aston Villa 6-0, it's clear we can rack in the goals. We have however had the complete opposite with embarrassing losses like 0-3 against Watford, 0-3 against West Ham, and 0-2 against Newcastle. This inconsistency can be put down to our new, fast, exciting style of play called "gegenpressing", or heavy metal football. Introduced by our much loved new manager Jurgen Klopp (a reason by many to support Liverpool on his own), we apply constant pressure to the opponents, never giving them time on the ball. This allows us to nick the ball, counter quickly and hopefully score some goals. Very similar to blitzing in Hand Egg. You can see an example below.

• Our passionate new manager Jurgen Klopp, is a character loved by nearly all football fans. With the summer transfer window appearing in a few months you can expect him to attract some top signings.

• Despite all of this, my top reason for being a Liverpool fan, is that Liverpool fans are fucking awesome (and I'm not just saying that). Lot's of tongue-in-cheek scouse humour, passionate singing, beer bellies and bald heads!

Bonus Videos Time:

In my bias opinion, the greatest comeback in sporting history. Liverpool overcome the odds to claw back from 3-0 down at half time, to beat a star filled AC Milan team in the 2005 Champions League Final, often called the "Miracle of Istanbul"

To follow on from the last video, Liverpool fans singing "You'll Never Walk Alone", whilst 3-0 down at halftime in Istanbul. This is passion.

Our style of play analysed by the great Alan Shearer:

Klopp!

Yeah my A's are a heartbreaking baseball team. A God of a GM who an amazing system that scouts talent, develops them into studs and then cannot afford them when free agency comes.

Expected dead last every year, but makes the playoffs almost each year only to lose in the first round.

Off season trade away studs and fan favorites, repeat cycle. [emoji25]

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

Thats a good write up Jordie I will try and make sure to catch the next Liverpool game so I can see what that defense strategy is all about.  Makes a lot of sense to me.  I stopped watching Liverpool after Suarez left even though I hate that horse face.  He's one hell of a player though