Headsets

The3rdWalker

So I know where this most likely will go, with so many Astros fans here. For awhile now I have been using my Sony Gold Wireless headset, wired, and it works well on PS4 and XB1 with an adapter.

The A40 or A50 from Astro looks wonderful and quality, but the mixamp and guides I've read are a bit off putting about hooking essentially their fiber cable and a usb from the mixamp to the consoles, so not exactly quick switching. I'm looking for a solid headset that is relatively quick to switch from whatever I'm playing (PC, PS4 and then occasions XB1) I would ideally like one that utilizes the 3.5mm jack if possible.

I've been looking at the [steelSeries Siberia Elite Prism Gaming Headset](http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MSOEWQY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=356OXXP4J179V&coliid=I158TGY4UN3OS2) and look to ask y'all about build quality or if there is something better for my needs that you would recommend.

I'd enjoy something in either 5.1 or 7.1, with a 3.5mm jack and would be easy to change between PS4, XB1 and PC.

My XB1 and PS4 are side by side on my entertainment center and my soon to be new PC will be about 4 feet from those. Will the Astros be more pain than they're worth?

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

The A40s are definitely a bit annoying to switch and I'm usually just going between PS3 and PS4. The thing I like best about them is comfort. I went through half a dozen headsets that all had some kind of issue.

If you decide to put your dick in crazy, be ready to change your phone number and relocate.

Get the Astros,easy fix for the usb/optical problem. Don't play the xbox ;)

Seriously though bust buy a extra optical cable so you will have it hooked up to both systems. Just switch it out on the receiver to the headset. A lot easier that switching it on the back of the console. I think you will run into problems with any headset playing on multiple consoles. Plus you will have to get a chat cable for the Xbone

You won't find a headset with what you want. I spend forever looking for exactly that when I bought my Trittons, and it simply doesn't exist. You can do it yourself, using one of these and one of these however.

As for the headset itself, I absolutely love my A50s and can't see myself using anything else again. It took a lot for me to spend that much on a headset but in hindsight they're really worth it. My only gripe is the battery life. It lasts for about four to eight hours, depending on volume and whatnot, but once it's done I have to plug it in. I don't mind having a little USB cable plugged in to them but I do think that for £250 they could've put a better battery in them. That said it may have compromised the comfort as batteries are heavy. I don't always plug them in after a session so the next session I have to have them plugged in which isn't a biggie but do keep in mind that if you go for the A50s, to buy a nice long Micro-USB lead to keep them topped up with juice. Nothing worse than constantly pulling the mixamp off your desk because the cable is too short.

Can't really tell you much about the sound that I haven't already said, the quality is the best I've experienced and they make a massive difference when soundwhoring in CoD, I can usually hear exactly where the bad guys are.

To finish, I haven't had a go with the Sony Golds myself but everybody loves them so they must be good. The question you need to ask yourself is whether the Astros enough to justify the price premium, a question I have often wondered about myself, and to be honest I have my doubts.

That said, if you just want to have the best and be done with it, the Astros will make a very good purchase.

banlol.png

I've been using Steel Series Siberia V2 for my PC and Turtle Beach X12 on the consoles.

The Steel Series hurt my head after a couple of hours and the X12 is knackered.

I'm buying A40s this week without a doubt, just looking for the right deal.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I don't have an XBox so I can't speak to the ability to change to that platform easily but I do have a Sennheiser U320 headset. I needed to use a Sennheiser for the noise cancellation capabilities of the mic for work projects.

It works on the PC, Mac, PS4 by simply plugging in the USB.  I think you need an adapter (which provided) to plug your controller into the hearphone control to work with the USB

I know that Sennheiser has a number of other headphones that are more capable the those but if the issue is multi platform it works quite well. 

Chad and I both use Turtle Beach headsets.

I got PX24 a couple months ago. They're comfy, don't hurt my ears or head, and I can hear stuff, so that a win. The adapter for the volume and superhearing thing mildly annoys me in terms of finding a spot to set it down. Work on PS4, XB1, and PC, although if you have a separate plugin for a mic on you compy you'll need to get an adapter (haven't bought one myself yet).

PX24 was my first real headset, the optical cable shit the bead after a few months. I had a Rocketfish headset that was okay until my rabbit ate the cord. Tritton faux leather gave me a rash. Some other cheap headset, I forget the brand, made my ears hurt. I wish the Astros had separate game and chat volume, instead they have the master volume with game/chat balance.

If you decide to put your dick in crazy, be ready to change your phone number and relocate.

Argos are selling light grey A40s with mixamp pro for £129. The black ones are standard price. Weird one Argos but i'm not complaining.

I have to go to Haringey after work to pick them up, can't wait!

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Astro A50 Gen 2.

Mother of God. So I really liked my pair of Sony Gold Wireless and used them straight for three years. I picked up the Astros and had a little bit of reading and planning to do to get the setup to mesh with my office.

The A50s make the Sony Golds feel like I've been wearing paper cups on my head. The build quality of this things make me want to say fuck every other word to describe how nice they are. A weighty aluminum feel, super snug and comfortable over the ear pads and the sound quality, even the mic makes my voice not sound like a little flute anymore.

I reluctantly bought them and Christ I owe y'all some thanks for nudging me. One thing I can't explain is how they detect connections. I thought I was going to need two USB cables, two optical cables but for some reason the optical is hooked into my XB1, and my PS4 with just the lone USB cable that charges the mix amp. Both work perfectly and I don't need to switch wires back and forth.

I only needed to spend 8USD for a 2.5mm to 3.5mm chat cable for Microsoft's special fucking snowflake of a controller.

Astro fan boy now.

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

I bought A40s on Tuesday. All great except there a problem with either the headset or the chat cable. No mic. Thought it was ne being a dick.

Sadly no. If I revolve the cable where it connects to the headset in a certain way I can get the mic to work...but I lose sound in the left ear. Clearly a hardware issue so i sent a support request to astro...annoying.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Though I get they will be good they should be at that price but I'm sorry for a headset it's way too much.

I have Sony golds and have no problem with sound,mic or comfort and at a fraction of the cost.

If ever they are on a really special offer I might be tempted.

Out of curiosity how much are they in the USA?

I agree gary, they're way too expensive. It's not that they're not worth it, its that there's no competition. To me the A40s should be £100 and the A50s £150. Its because they're known as the best and are widely regarded as such that Astro can charge so much. The next closest (dedicated) set is the Tritton Pro+ and honestly they don't have a patch on these. I must give both Tritton and Astro kudos for their after sales service, both of them died and both companies sorted it out pronto.

banlol.png

Astro customer support and I narrowed my issues down to the inline mute cable (should have gone wireless :lol: ) so they're sending me a new one. Hope that fixes it.

Argos customer service however, belongs in the last century. I sent them an eloquent piece on my thoughts as to why they are going down the pan ;)

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

In times when the likes of Argos are being destroyed by online competitors such as Amazon, it would be sensible to look at your customer service as a way of hanging onto customers and generating some kind of loyalty.

Not Argos, they're stuck in the 1980s, and that's why they are failing :rolleyes:.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg