Zappa appreciation thread

JsinOwl

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't deny he was talented and implemented an interesting approach to create music but the end result of all that isn't interesting or of any value to me. This thread is funny, I actually tried to listen to 'Dance Me This' yesterday and couldn't get through the whole thing but it made me curious about other peoples opinions of his music so I did some searches. There are the lovers, snobs and haters mixed in with people that love his music who also hate his music. :lol: Maybe I do have an underdeveloped understanding of music like the snobs suggest, or maybe my hearing isn't as bad as I thought :)

jpw_tyrannosaurus-rex_zpscpttjstm.jpg

Some of his stuff I love, some I don't care for, and most falls in between. But I respect him immensely as a composer, musician, and band leader.

YouTube threw this video at me yesterday, I have no idea why, which is creepy, but I found it a really interesting look at a different facet of Frank's talent. He was also an amazing audio engineer and editor, like old school razors and tape editing. Absolutely fascinating guy.

I never got to see him live, but I highly recommend his son Dweezil's Zappa Plays Zappa tour.

Favorite album: One Size Fits All

If you decide to put your dick in crazy, be ready to change your phone number and relocate.

The topic also reminded of a song by The Fall, "I'm Frank"...a tribute to Zappa of sorts.

The Fall also make offbeat kind of music since the late 70s.

The album it comes from, Extricate, is one of their easier to listen to long players.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

This. Zappa hurts my ears. I can't listen to him. I've never made it through a whole Zappa song w/o changing it. I just can't do it.

I have a new goal in life, to find a Zappa track you can get through!

If you decide to put your dick in crazy, be ready to change your phone number and relocate.