Site plans

Diddums

Right, now that I'm content with the way the forum looks, I'm going to start investigating and researching the next stages of my plan. First off, I want a "portal", which will be the vanilla URL, with the forum probably moving to www.forevergaming.co.uk/forum

The portal will direct to different parts of the site. A few ideas I have is a blog, written by gamers for gamers. I'll be recruiting people to write for that too, so if you think you have what it takes, I'll give you your own page and you can write down whatever you want.

Another option I'll be investigating is a shop. I'd like to start selling things like shirts, mugs, stickers, keychains, all that kind of thing. Would you purchase anything like that? I'll also be appealing to you guys to design some stuff for this. This isn't to make money, but rather just for the hell of it, and it's promotion, something we need to start doing.

Another idea I've got is to host some servers. I'll probably start off with a Minecraft server (Feed The Best to be exact) and if it takes off, move on from there, perhaps a DayZ server or even a BF4 server, if there's enough demand.

I'll also need someone to set up a FG Youtube channel, which I might monetize to help cover the hosting fees for servers and whatnot.

These are just a few ideas, throw in some feedbak please. Not just "sounds good" but actual feedback.

This will be a massive project on top of my work and private life so if I'm to go ahead with it, I'll need people I can rely on to help out and I'll need to be 100% sure of what I / we want before going ahead as I don't want to go to al lthis effort only for it to be a waste.

Thoughts?

banlol.png

Right, now that I'm content with the way the forum looks, I'm going to start investigating and researching the next stages of my plan. First off, I want a "portal", which will be the vanilla URL, with the forum probably moving to www.forevergaming.co.uk/forum

The portal will direct to different parts of the site. A few ideas I have is a blog, written by gamers for gamers. I'll be recruiting people to write for that too, so if you think you have what it takes, I'll give you your own page and you can write down whatever you want.

I'll volunteer for writing some bloggies.

Another option I'll be investigating is a shop. I'd like to start selling things like shirts, mugs, stickers, keychains, all that kind of thing. Would you purchase anything like that? I'll also be appealing to you guys to design some stuff for this. This isn't to make money, but rather just for the hell of it, and it's promotion, something we need to start doing.

I think you should save the shop idea for when the community grows. I know a lot of the lads here would chip in but it would probably go stale and you'd be left with merchandise for an unseen amount of time.

Another idea I've got is to host some servers. I'll probably start off with a Minecraft server (Feed The Best to be exact) and if it takes off, move on from there, perhaps a DayZ server or even a BF4 server, if there's enough demand.

BF4 server sounds brilliant. Minecraft server sounds brilliant (although the last one kinda died :( )

I won't comment on DayZ cos I don't have that game innit?

I'll also need someone to set up a FG Youtube channel, which I might monetize to help cover the hosting fees for servers and whatnot.

I can do that when I get home and give the details to chosen members. Although anyone can do that in the next 5 hours.

These are just a few ideas, throw in some feedbak please. Not just "sounds good" but actual feedback.

Well, deliberately or not, you spelled feedback wrong. You see there, you spelled feedbak. Unprofessional and I'm very picky who I associate myself with. 

This will be a massive project on top of my work and private life so if I'm to go ahead with it, I'll need people I can rely on to help out and I'll need to be 100% sure of what I / we want before going ahead as I don't want to go to al lthis effort only for it to be a waste.

I know you have members here willing to help, Address the grammar situation and I'll be one of them.

Thoughts?

Grand Theft Auto V

8mSoOel.png

5a9.gif

Im excited about this!

Ooh, and for the merch-selling thing, I can make minimalistic Drifters with the tagline "My organ doner list includes my beard" and a really pissed-looking bee shouting "WHAT."

Hell, pretty much any quote from here and there is comedy gold! :D

/My body is ready

//A Chookes shirt. I must make a Chookes shirt too.

DM9ON.png

I thought i'd write up a little list of the things we'll need for the youtube channel

- Channel art (the banner at the top) We could use a reedited version (if size needs to change) of our new banner.

- A forum intro video that we can put at the start of all our videos. Note: a video can't be uploaded without the correct intro or tags, if we're looking at making money for the forum then we need to do this properly.

- We'll need someone to make thumbnails for our videos as well, i don't know if we just want to do a thumbnail per game or if we want multi thumbnails for each game.

We'll also need to set out rules for who keeps the password safe, for the Alliance channel, we had around 6 people who had the password and could give out to any established member of Alliance. I think something similar here could work, if we are having loads of people uploading then we should also think about changing the password regularly. 

People also need to be aware that the money will be going straight into the forum and no where else, so people can't get pissy that the forums making money off their videos (i don't expect people will)

When uploading a video, the intro, tags and information must be put in to a decent standard. You must also include the video you are uploading to the correct playlist, if there isn't a play list for your game or game type then create one and tell everyone but we don't need videos lurking about with no playlist cuz you'll find you loose them. I made that mistake with my channel. Basically we should act professional when doing this.

Sounds good Dave :)

Having got the cheap laugh out of the way, what is a vanilla URL?

I agree with Cal about saving the merchandising until forum numbers are up but maybe have a core set of designs ready to roll as it were. Perhaps have members submit designs and then run a poll?

I'm with Cal on the grammar aspect as well! :)

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

I just thought, if we do the merchandise then we could do competitions through the youtube channel and give people a chance to win something. Like a submit your best clip and the top 3 win or something like that. This would obviously only be done once the channel has grown a bit and we have new members on the forum or new subs.

This is way down the line but thought i'd post it here now whilst GTA's outa my brain :D

The vanilla URL is www.forevergaming.co.uk

From there, we'd have to have sub-URL, or subdomains, for example www.forum.forevergaming.co.uk or www.forevergaming.co.uk/forum.

Of course the vanilla would have a portal with links and stuff so it'd be easy to navigate.

These are obviously huge plans and will take a while but it'd be nice to get the ball rolling.

Merch will be a good idea to raise funds to fund this, hence why I'd like to do it sooner rather than later. This is going to cost a few pennies too.

banlol.png

I like all of this Dave, I really do; however, I'm a little concerned that we will try to bite off more than we can chew at once.  I think we need an outline/game plan for priorities.  Which item first?  I think we need to take them on one or two things at a time.  I don't want to see us spread ourselves too thin.   

With that being said, I'd love to see this place grow and you've got some great ideas on how to go about it.  Why start a new YouTube page?  Can we just convert yours (Diddusm Does Gaming) into Forever Gaming?  Merchandise would be really cool (and nerdy!).  I'd love to have a little something that says Forever Gaming on it.... but, I would of probably got something that said FPSH on it too back in the day... now I'd be stuck with it.  We need to be 100% certain that this is it before we start printing shit off.  KnowWhatI'msayin'.  

Anyways... I'll help out anyway I can, you just let me know what you need.  I'd like to participate in the blog aspect, but I don't know if I've got what it takes.  I'm not a writer, I've never done a blog, and I don't think I could put anything out consistently, but I'd be willing to do something occasionally.  

I'll reply more later when I'm not feeding two little monsters breakfast.  

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

Although I'm the new guy, I thought I'd add a couple things. These are only my opinions, so do with them what you will.

Regarding YouTube, I wouldn't count on earning any money from it (at least not for awhile). I believe it's ridiculously hard to get enough views to drive a check from YT. One of my gaming friends has three times the viewers I have, way more hits, and hasn't seen a penny. Certainly, I wouldn't discourage YT. In fact, I really want to boost my channel and get it active again. YT and videos are way fun. I'm just saying that it probably won't earn income.

The ads might work (never had a site with Adsense, but it sounds a lot easier to earn money than with YT), but to drive legit clicks you'd need to bring people here with content. Content is king. I like the blog idea. It gives content, it would be constantly changing (hopefully), and I don't think they take a ton of programming to set up. Seems like there's lots of software to do it, and I know PowerBoard has their own module for it.

For my money, I think the server idea would be the best way to get people here. Certainly, I'm looking for a BF4 server. Seems logical that lots of people will also want to find a good server and not just use random ones. If you have a server, people will also want to go to the forums to meet others on the server. Presto - new people becoming members and contributing.

However, I know servers cost $$$. You may want to think about a donation page/button. Maybe some of the dedicated members can pitch in a few bucks each month. May not cover all your costs, but it would help. Ultimately, and this is just my opinion, I wouldn't do anything that you can't afford to do on your own. I'd figure out how much you're willing to spend each month just because you want to do it. That way, you're not going to be upset if the money doesn't start coming in.

If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

I'm going to PM you about the youtube channel. Other thank that, I would be willing to help out with blogging. I could do some game reviews, or whatever you guys would need. I have GameFly, so I can do do reviews for a whole range of games. 

Our best bet would be to wait until Ghosts comes out to try and get more members. Doing that, we could occasionally send out messages trying to recruit people to the website. We could also start posting on some other forums. It could really help out.

Yeah same dude, the youtube channel has been created and all we need is the channel art and a intro and we're good to go.

But i think this weekend would be good to set out a few ideas over a few beers :)

I'm sure Frace, Capn, or fuhgawzzz would be happy to do the channel art.

DM9ON.png

Sweet! We'll work some stuff out this weekend cuz i'd prefer to put my time and effort into the forum channel. I enjoyed doing the Alliance channel but it just became recording gameplays, there was no creating towards the end.

I'd like to carry on some of my series ideas but i think we should sit down and discuss everything first before i think about that

I can't commit to writing regularly due to a massive amount of college work but I may be able to submit something from time to time.

I'll definitely play on the Day Z and Minecraft servers. I may even play on the BF server if I can be bothered to download it...

Thoughts?

Love it.