Rainbow 6 Siege Alpha

J4MES OX4D

Register here for access to the PC alpha http://rainbow6.ubi.com/siege/en-US/

No date is yet confirmed for the alpha but it can't be too far away. 

Specs

• CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K or AMD FX-8120 Eight-Core
  • CPU Speed: 3.3 GHz (Recommended), 2.6 GHz (Minimum)
  • RAM: 8 GB
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 670 or AMD Radeon HD 7970 / R9 280 X
  • VRAM: 2 GB

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Register here for access to the PC alpha http://rainbow6.ubi.com/siege/en-US/ 

No date is yet confirmed for the alpha but it can't be too far away. 

Specs

• CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K or AMD FX-8120 Eight-Core
  • CPU Speed: 3.3 GHz (Recommended), 2.6 GHz (Minimum)
  • RAM: 8 GB
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 670 or AMD Radeon HD 7970 / R9 280 X
  • VRAM: 2 GB

Cheers man, I've applied for the Alpha, even if it is on Uplay  :D

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Cheers man, I've applied for the Alpha, even if it is on Uplay  :D

I guarantee I wont get in - I only downloaded uPlay for The Crew beta and that's all my account has on record :lol: Tell a lie; I did buy Valiant Hearts in the Ubisoft Steam sale yesterday for a whopping £2.99 so hopefully that loyalty shown to them with that will swing it B)

I guarantee I wont get in - I only downloaded uPlay for The Crew beta and that's all my account has on record :lol: Tell a lie; I did buy Valiant Hearts in the Ubisoft Steam sale yesterday for a whopping £2.99 so hopefully that loyalty shown to them with that will swing it B)

lol I only have watch dogs and far cry 3 on uplay so it may be the same for me :lol:

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I've got access to the closed alpha today and am currently downloading...

Will have a look after my dinner.

If there's one sight of a radio tower, I'm fucking uninstalling. 

Anyone else been granted access to the alpha today on PC? 

I've just played about an hour of Siege and it's seems pretty decent although there is a real clash of concept.

It comes across as a hardcore tactical shooter but there are inclusions that leave me baffled and make the game seemingly dumbed-down to appeal to everyone. There is no mini-map which is great but then they shoot themselves in the foot by highlighting your team mates with a ghostly glow at all times and there is no friendly fire either. By being able to see your team mates through walls and even on the other side of the map; you can see exactly where they are, where they get shot, how they die and where the enemy is placed. It's such a glaring design issue that renders communication redundant in some instances as you can see everything unfolding with visual aids including likely enemy placement. You also have the ability to reload at any given time and retain all your unused ammo which mimics that of an arcade shooter like COD. You don't need to worry about conserving your ammo or when to reload. 

The worst addition by far is the ability to revive your team mates. It only takes a few seconds to get them back on their feet and reminds me of the painful old COD days with Final Stand and Second Chance. This is sheer stupidity from Ubisoft on a ludicrous level and I cannot understand why they think this idea would be welcome or why they've even considered it putting it in the game. The fact a fellow SWAT team member who's a sharpshooter can suddenly perform miracle surgery in a live situation in 3 seconds just beggars belief. 

I played on two maps; one was a house and the other way an airplane. Both look like they will be good fun but I am fearful that there isn't much variety in this game. The defenders can barricade windows, doorways and other entrances and the attack team can blow up certain areas to breach but the options after just a few games and the tactical variations just become limited. It's like playing Search and Destroy on Nuketown - there is only so much stuff you can do before you repeat the move over and over. Both teams at the start have a 'prepare' phase which is also limited - the attack team has RC Cars to scope out the premises and 99% of the time; it's exactly the same setup from the defence as the last round and the defenders can do their barricade prep which involves just covering up the same doors and entrances over and over. Just seems so limited. 

The alpha is somewhat lacking in visual and animation textures which is expected but it certainly will appear polished on release I'm sure. Characters and weapons can show through walls, doors and equipment and some of the character movements are cringeworthy. The menu interfaces and in-game HUD are also very ugly. The bullet detection is a bit iffy also. 

I think this game could be decent but it needs a lot of work and desperately needs a hardcore type mode because what is on offer so far is just so basic and user-friendly; it kind of destroys the game type it's trying to be. If they don't have a dramatic rethink on certain aspects; it could get very boring, very quickly. I'm not really surprised this game has such significant design flaws as Ubisoft are notorious for hideous gameplay execution on many titles but I'm almost mortified at some of the features this game has. There is certainly potential here but the developers need to make sweeping changes/additions before the beta. 

Second, great write up. I did not receive notification of access. Probably should have used a different e-mail as it's likely on some Ubi blacklist for breaking FC4 and insulting them. :lol: From what you shared I probably wouldn't care for the game but teaming up would have been interesting.

My email arrived only shortly before I posted above, they seem to be staggering them. Ubisoft should have a pretty thick skin by now :)

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I've just played about an hour of Siege and it's seems pretty decent although there is a real clash of concept.

It comes across as a hardcore tactical shooter but there are inclusions that leave me baffled and make the game seemingly dumbed-down to appeal to everyone. There is no mini-map which is great but then they shoot themselves in the foot by highlighting your team mates with a ghostly glow at all times and there is no friendly fire either. By being able to see your team mates through walls and even on the other side of the map; you can see exactly where they are, where they get shot, how they die and where the enemy is placed. It's such a glaring design issue that renders communication redundant in some instances as you can see everything unfolding with visual aids including likely enemy placement. You also have the ability to reload at any given time and retain all your unused ammo which mimics that of an arcade shooter like COD. You don't need to worry about conserving your ammo or when to reload. 

The worst addition by far is the ability to revive your team mates. It only takes a few seconds to get them back on their feet and reminds me of the painful old COD days with Final Stand and Second Chance. This is sheer stupidity from Ubisoft on a ludicrous level and I cannot understand why they think this idea would be welcome or why they've even considered it putting it in the game. The fact a fellow SWAT team member who's a sharpshooter can suddenly perform miracle surgery in a live situation in 3 seconds just beggars belief. 

I played on two maps; one was a house and the other way an airplane. Both look like they will be good fun but I am fearful that there isn't much variety in this game. The defenders can barricade windows, doorways and other entrances and the attack team can blow up certain areas to breach but the options after just a few games and the tactical variations just become limited. It's like playing Search and Destroy on Nuketown - there is only so much stuff you can do before you repeat the move over and over. Both teams at the start have a 'prepare' phase which is also limited - the attack team has RC Cars to scope out the premises and 99% of the time; it's exactly the same setup from the defence as the last round and the defenders can do their barricade prep which involves just covering up the same doors and entrances over and over. Just seems so limited. 

The alpha is somewhat lacking in visual and animation textures which is expected but it certainly will appear polished on release I'm sure. Characters and weapons can show through walls, doors and equipment and some of the character movements are cringeworthy. The menu interfaces and in-game HUD are also very ugly. The bullet detection is a bit iffy also. 

I think this game could be decent but it needs a lot of work and desperately needs a hardcore type mode because what is on offer so far is just so basic and user-friendly; it kind of destroys the game type it's trying to be. If they don't have a dramatic rethink on certain aspects; it could get very boring, very quickly. I'm not really surprised this game has such significant design flaws as Ubisoft are notorious for hideous gameplay execution on many titles but I'm almost mortified at some of the features this game has. There is certainly potential here but the developers need to make sweeping changes/additions before the beta.

Just from seeing some previous gameplay videos the issues you mention are exactly what I thought...

No mini map, no problem... Team outlines... Wtf?

Reviving fallen teammates also... I heard head shots is insta kill, but reviving players back to full health full speed no visual impairment or anything seems just silly...

What you saying so far then? Ok game but not enough variety to keep you playing after a few days?

blackops2sig.jpg

Second, great write up. I did not receive notification of access. Probably should have used a different e-mail as it's likely on some Ubi blacklist for breaking FC4 and insulting them. :lol: From what you shared I probably wouldn't care for the game but teaming up would have been interesting.

Hope you eventually get in Joe - I can't believe I got access as I only have two games on record on my uPlay account along with records of angry emails about not being able to connect to the service :lol:

Ubisoft should have a pretty thick skin by now :)

Yep, especially when even the company owners publicly lambaste their development staff :D

What you saying so far then? Ok game but not enough variety to keep you playing after a few days?

It's a tough one Jonny - I love Rainbow 6 and Siege has potential to rejuvenate the genre and bring tactical MP gaming into this generation but some of the design decisions could be unforgivable especially in the long run. It just feels so dumbed-down in its current state; the game could get stale far too quickly. In just 1 hour and about 5 matches yesterday; I'd done absolutely everything you could possibly do and it all got a bit samey. If they did away with the 'user-friendly/noob' features; it could make a massive difference but the game is just so handicapped that it is more arcadey than tactical and that's a disappointment I can't ignore. HC mode would do wonders but if they're hell-bent on the current format; I think the game could get tedious and repetitive with not much satisfaction. 

I'd done absolutely everything you could possibly do and it all got a bit samey. If they did away with the 'user-friendly/noob' features; it could make a massive difference but the game is just so handicapped that it is more arcadey than tactical and that's a disappointment I can't ignore. HC mode would do wonders but if they're hell-bent on the current format; I think the game could get tedious and repetitive with not much satisfaction. 

I played for a little while earlier and tend to agree. Rescuing or protecting a hostage on an airliner.

Each game I played defending, I hid in a room, near the main entrance, nobody bothered to check the room and many were shot in the back as they walked past down the corridor.

I did it each game and no-one checked the room ever. Same players too  :huh:

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Had a brief go on the ps4 beta.

Not enough to give it a proper review but it did feel smooth for the few games I played. Definitely feels more for the experienced FPS players. Team work will end up being essential in fair matched games.

Stock guns felt v.slow and not very good compared to BO3. All about additional slots and how you used them for the games I played.

Would be a nice on the side game if they're were enough interested parties willing to team up and put the effort in.

I've had another crack at the Siege with the beta and I'm still not prepared to pay a penny for this. It could have been a nice game on the side but it just feels really average, repetitive and is a cert to lack any long-term appeal from the wider community. The mechanics are really piss-poor and it's clear Ubisoft are desperately lacking a decent gaming engine for even a simple game like this. I think it will struggle like Battlefront and only capture a few thousand dedicated players. The content on offer right off the bat is pretty limited and makes the £50 price very unattractive this time of the year and for what you actually get. Very disappointing personally as this had potential but it's lacking in almost every respect possible.