I am dithering. Dither dither dither

Docwagon

I don't know what to do.  I want a really high quality custom holster for one of my Sigs.  I have two options I've narrowed it down to.

Both options are entirely hand made, hand sewn, and hand boned.  Both are high quality bull hide accented with exotic skins.

Option #1:  6-12 month wait from time of order.  $160-ish.  A good but relatively unknown holster maker.  100% guaranteed to fit.

Option #2:  Unknown wait time, but likely less than 2 months.  $250-ish.  A famous holster maker.  Someone who's something of a legend in holster design and who's patents are still used by the big players in the field today.  Lives out of the country and has a gun blank that should work, but we're like 95% sure it'll fit.

Dither dither dither dither.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's like you killed an animal from every continent to craft that.

LOL I was thinking that.

Sorry, but not really a fan of hardened leather/ hide holsters.

Whats the sig model you are looking to work with?

(I prefer holsters of nylon or plastic, just personal preference.)

183174.jpg

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

I would probably go with option #1 if it were me. The thought of there being any chance at all that your gun might not fit with option #2 is a bit scary. Would really suck to invest $250 and then find out it doesn't fit properly.  If the 6-12 month wait time is what is worrying you then it may be faster than he quoted for a time frame. As someone whom runs a custom business myself I always give potential customers the worst case scenario for a delivery date when I quote them a price/time frame just to be on the safe side. So if I tell them 6 weeks it usually ends up being less than 3, but that way I can cover myself for any  unforseen issues just in case.

As someone whom runs a custom business myself I always give potential customers the worst case scenario for a delivery date when I quote them a price/time frame just to be on the safe side. So if I tell them 6 weeks it usually ends up being less than 3, but that way I can cover myself for any unforseen issues just in case.

I admire bussisness men like you so much.

OT: I'm not a gun owner but I've always been fascinated by them.

On aesthetics, I'd go with option 1.

On % of fitting smoothly, option 1.

Then you have the famous vs unknown factor. I always like to help out smaller businesses and hope that one day, they'll be regarded as a famous company. I'd go with option 1.

8mSoOel.png

Then you have the famous vs unknown factor. I always like to help out smaller businesses and hope that one day, they'll be regarded as a famous company. I'd go with option 1.

They are both one man shops.  "Famous" is relative.  If you aren't a nerd or someone in the industry, neither name will mean anything to you.  Most gun guys wouldn't know or care, either. 

I would probably go with option #1 if it were me. The thought of there being any chance at all that your gun might not fit with option #2 is a bit scary. Would really suck to invest $250 and then find out it doesn't fit properly.  If the 6-12 month wait time is what is worrying you then it may be faster than he quoted for a time frame. As someone whom runs a custom business myself I always give potential customers the worst case scenario for a delivery date when I quote them a price/time frame just to be on the safe side. So if I tell them 6 weeks it usually ends up being less than 3, but that way I can cover myself for any  unforseen issues just in case.

Yeah, he said a popular gun may get made earlier as for efficiency he makes in batches if he has a bunch of the same holster in the same colors for the same gun, but otherwise that's a pretty solid estimate.  He's turning away orders until he gets his backlog down, but will still take some. 

LOL I was thinking that.

Sorry, but not really a fan of hardened leather/ hide holsters.

Whats the sig model you are looking to work with?

(I prefer holsters of nylon or plastic, just personal preference.)

Definitely no nylon.  Ick.  The worst of all worlds.  Plastic/kydex is ok.  It's not a patch on a properly made leather holster though.

Eventually, probably all of my Sigs.  I may do one from each to start and then go from there.

I've seen a few now that are plastic/ kydex, and Nylon that are pretty decent.

You going strongside 3 o'clock draw? or what?

I prefer the appendix/ 2 oclock if I have to, but when hiking I would do a lower 3 oclock, about mid thigh/ hip region. 

I like most of these:

http://www.safariland.com/holsters/duty-holsters/

My thing with leather holsters(and also with pure nylon) is that it gets floppy

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Only the cheap leather holsters are floppy. Get a good one and it has structure, can be reholstered one handed and has good retention without needing a thumb break.

Nylon is trash. No structure, no natural retention, soils easily, etc.

Kydex is fine functionally. It's what I tend to use daily. Protects the gun, good natural retention if made for the specific gun, easy to maintain etc.

I carry the same way all the time. Strong side 330. It mimics when I must carry on a gun belt. I don't want to have to pat myself down under stress trying to remember where I am carrying today.

I most likely haven't paid enough for a leather/ hide holster then. I see your reasoning though, and it makes sense.

(The only fully nylon holster I own is for a few airsoft pistols my wife used one year at halloween when she went as the Baroness from Gi Joe)

I really like the kydex holsters with the thumb retention, that have the back sides/ belt loops of nylon. Its about 75% kydex/ 25% nylon. Having something rigid against my leg or gut is uncomfortable IMO.

IDK what to tell you about what to order though, its a tough call, I think Drifter nailed it above.

That being said, I love talking shop, and have been looking at these lately:

http://www.tacticalholsters.com/product/SOC/SOC_Holster.html

To me, the first one looks like something a Mexican drug kingpin would pull his gold plated 45 out of...but maybe that's just me.

I like the second one, but I'm kinda with Bart in that I'm not a fan of leather holsters in general. Edit : But I've never had a 200 dollar custom holster either.

My choice us on looks alone. As far as the gun not fitting properly, is there any kind of return policy? Probably not because it's being custom made, but for 250 bucks I'd like 100 percent accuracy.

BEARDED, FOR HER PLEASURE

See, that's why I didn't post pictures originally.  These are custom holsters.  They look that way because that's what was ordered.  You can get plain leather if you like, all exotic skin, or some mix.

The top one is the same holster I'd order but no thumb break and a lower scoop in the front for faster draw.  The second is pretty much exactly how I'd order it.

I most likely haven't paid enough for a leather/ hide holster then. I see your reasoning though, and it makes sense.

(The only fully nylon holster I own is for a few airsoft pistols my wife used one year at halloween when she went as the Baroness from Gi Joe)

I really like the kydex holsters with the thumb retention, that have the back sides/ belt loops of nylon. Its about 75% kydex/ 25% nylon. Having something rigid against my leg or gut is uncomfortable IMO.

IDK what to tell you about what to order though, its a tough call, I think Drifter nailed it above.

That being said, I love talking shop, and have been looking at these lately:

http://www.tacticalholsters.com/product/SOC/SOC_Holster.html

Thumb breaks are too slow and can be inconsistent at speed.  If you are carrying concealed, there's no reason for one.  Open carry, yes, you need some active retention.

I generally use a Bladetech holster.  Details are in my firearms thread.

See, that's why I didn't post pictures originally. These are custom holsters. They look that way because that's what was ordered. You can get plain leather if you like, all exotic skin, or some mix.

The top one is the same holster I'd order but no thumb break and a lower scoop in the front for faster draw. The second is pretty much exactly how I'd order it.

Gotcha, in that case I'd go with the sure thing.

BEARDED, FOR HER PLEASURE

I'm going with the guy from Kansas.  His customer service has been WAAAAAAAAY better.  He won't even process my order until he sends me some photos of alternatives just to make sure I get exactly what I want.

The other guy may be fantastic, but the guy he's got doing his leg work in the US isn't up to the task.  It's been a week since I sent my email asking about two of his options and no reply.