Game of Thrones (the books)

Docwagon

I was hesitant to buy these books for the perverse reason the series is so popular I figured it'd be too...I don't know...popular I guess.  Amazon had the whole series for Kindle for $20 so I bought it and am now 3% through the series.  Wow.  I don't think it's going to topple Mistborn as my favorite series, but it's really interesting so far.

Anyone else read the series?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on the third book and the third season for the show.

The books are very very good.

The TV show has changed a number of things when compared but both work quite well 

I find it's a difficult read for me because you really have to pay attention since there are so many characters, places and things going on. I can't get through it as fast as I do other books.

I'm on the third book and the third season for the show.

The books are very very good.

The TV show has changed a number of things when compared but both work quite well 

I find it's a difficult read for me because you really have to pay attention since there are so many characters, places and things going on. I can't get through it as fast as I do other books.

It CAN'T be any more complicated than Wheel of Time as far as characters and plot lines.

It's a big series to read right through . I did it a couple of years ago , took me about 6 months (maybe more), and it did drag a bit at times. Having said that I'll buy the new one as soon as it comes out, enjoyed it but maybe should have read some other stuff between each book

The problem at first is that they have to introduce all the main characters, locations and motivations. It does take a long time and my first time reading it I gave up until I watched the series. 

I think it is worth being patient with it.

I have all that are available so far.

I am hit or miss with the series. There are times when I think GRRM just likes to dick with his readers and people end up dead or doing things for no good reason.

Still though, I did read them all. 

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Didn't know that Mistborn was your favorite series.  Randomly enough, I just started reading the 1st book a couple days ago and so far I'm very impressed.  Only about 150 pages into it.

Have you read Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss?  If you haven't, I can assure you it will be one of the best books you've ever read.  There are 2 books in the series so far, 3rd is on the way soon.  Same type of approach to the magic side of things as Mistborn, but a little more "realistic" with the science end of it which actually makes it somewhat believable.  The writing is incredible.  It's so hard to know what's going to happen next and all sorts of random shit happen all the time to the main character where you just sit back, like wtf?  But thats what makes it awesome, because that's real life.  Random shit happening all the time and how we deal with it.  Its a totally unique approach to character development and it makes you love the main character

Anyway, check that book out you won't regret it.

Didn't know that Mistborn was your favorite series.  Randomly enough, I just started reading the 1st book a couple days ago and so far I'm very impressed.  Only about 150 pages into it.

Have you read Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss?  If you haven't, I can assure you it will be one of the best books you've ever read.  There are 2 books in the series so far, 3rd is on the way soon.  Same type of approach to the magic side of things as Mistborn, but a little more "realistic" with the science end of it which actually makes it somewhat believable.  The writing is incredible.  It's so hard to know what's going to happen next and all sorts of random shit happen all the time to the main character where you just sit back, like wtf?  But thats what makes it awesome, because that's real life.  Random shit happening all the time and how we deal with it.  Its a totally unique approach to character development and it makes you love the main character

Anyway, check that book out you won't regret it.

Nope, never heard of it.  I'm reading "Thinking Fast and Slow" at the moment (nonfiction) and sneaking in chapters of Speaker for the Dead occasionally.  Sort of the sequel to Ender's Game.  With Piggies.

Mistborn is so fan-flipping-tastic that I recommend it to anyone who shows the remotest interest in fiction of any kind.

Wow.  I don't think it's going to topple Mistborn as my favorite series, but it's really interesting so far.

Just finished the 1st Mistborn and started the 2nd.  Was very happy with the story and looking forward to finishing the series.

Not nearly as good as Kingkiller Chronicles though.  Name of the Wind.  Broken record, I know.  Just believe me and read it.

Just finished the 1st Mistborn and started the 2nd.  Was very happy with the story and looking forward to finishing the series.

Not nearly as good as Kingkiller Chronicles though.  Name of the Wind.  Broken record, I know.  Just believe me and read it.

Maybe this winter.  Weather's getting better, so reading is slowing down.

Ok, ok, I ordered it on Kindle.  I finally finished the "Thinking Fast and Slow" book.  That's a great book and the information is well worth the read...but its not a terribly fast paced book and is about 75% textbook in feeling.  Fascinating but dry, I suppose.  I can use a fun read after that.  Then back into behavioral economics.

Ok, ok, I ordered it on Kindle.  I finally finished the "Thinking Fast and Slow" book.  That's a great book and the information is well worth the read...but its not a terribly fast paced book and is about 75% textbook in feeling.  Fascinating but dry, I suppose.  I can use a fun read after that.  Then back into behavioral economics.

About 20% though the first one, and I'm enjoying it.  

Oh man, I have all of them and would have gladly sent them to you for Kindle. Sadly, I can't read them anymore, with GRRM focusing on the show, and other side projects I sort of fear that he will pass on before actually finishing them. I don't think that the publishers will be able to find a decent enough writer to do what they did with Robert Jordans books

As an aside however, I can't remember Doc, do you enjoy Science Fiction? If so, the Foundation series from Asimov could be something you would enjoy. It uses Science Fiction as setting and not a focus. (If that makes sense)

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Oh man, I have all of them and would have gladly sent them to you for Kindle. Sadly, I can't read them anymore, with GRRM focusing on the show, and other side projects I sort of fear that he will pass on before actually finishing them. I don't think that the publishers will be able to find a decent enough writer to do what they did with Robert Jordans books

As an aside however, I can't remember Doc, do you enjoy Science Fiction? If so, the Foundation series from Asimov could be something you would enjoy. It uses Science Fiction as setting and not a focus. (If that makes sense)

I read nearly anything as far as setting goes.  I've read some of Asimov's stuff years ago, and more recently Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead in the Sci Fi realm.