This could get tricky.

Right, here's the score.

Going from an Nginx based server to an Apache based server has opened up many possiblities for me on the back end in terms of site optimization. The issue, as I'm sure you've all noticed, is that it's pretty much broken the site as it was configured for Nginx.

I've spent the last 6 hours or so trying to get some things sorted but the site refuses to play ball. I spent the $25 on another 6 month licence so we get tech support again, and I can upgrade the software via Invision's own updater (they're the guys who made our forum software).

I've been chatting to them and they said that we can try upgrading it, but due to certain things being lost, there's no guarantee that the threads and posts will return. This is a big thing for me.

So what do you guys think, carry on like this, where I pull my hair out for possibly months on end until it gets sorted, or take the risk and go straight to the latest version of the software with no bugs or issues, and potentially losing everything in the process?

If it fails, it's square one. Clean slate. No post counts, no members, no threads / forums / posts, nothing.

So, what do we reckon folks?

banlol.png

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say go for it. We can always make new threads.

Even though some threads contains alot of info for upcoming games we have already read them.

What if some people copy the most important threads on a file and repost them if everything goes wrong?

I say go for it dudems. Maybe start a thread informing people to copy/paste what they wish to keep into a text file editor. That way they can restart any threads they wish.

I know people will most likely read this but if the title is something like "MAKE BUCKUPS NOAW!", they'll definitely click that shiz.

8mSoOel.png

Right, Bruce from Vidahost is going to see what he can do for me. This guy is an angel in the darkness, I'll tell you that. Invision are the most useless company in existence. Lovely support until you buy their product, at which point you might as well talk to a wall.

He's going to try and import all the old stuff onto the new board as well, let's hope he manages to pull it off.

This whole thing has caused permanent trauma for me. "Start a website" they said. "It's fun" they said.

f17.jpg

banlol.png

I support whatever you want to do, but for the sake of your sanity, there's always ProBoards man. I've done it, used it, made forums with it, modified the look of them, there's tons of stuff you can customize, and it's free. I'll do it for you if you want.

There's no need for our community to be a source of stress and financial burden on you.

If you decide to put your dick in crazy, be ready to change your phone number and relocate.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Well, alright then. If that's what it takes for his wonderful place to continue working properly, I guess we have no choice.

"Lose all your posts and threads in exchange for a properly working forum..." Can we at least have honorary/veteran member badges when we start over for the "prestige" aspect of it?  B)

It's all done. The transfer is complete and from what I can tell the only thing which doesn't work is that blasted "desktop mode" button on mobiles. I need to speak to Invision directly but they take forever to answer their support tickets so please be patient. If you find any other issues, please report them here. 

Palle> no idea dude, that's weird. Try changing your avatar and whatnot, if it doesn't work let me know. 

I still need to sort out Tapatalk but I'll do that tomorrow. 

Is the site feeling any faster?

banlol.png