Star Citizen

BO7H B4RRELS

The game seems like it's bitten off more than it can chew. I wouldn't be surprised if the developers took the money and ran. It's a huge undertaking. If they can achieve that shit it would probably be one of the best and true next gen gaming.

How does it seems to have bitten off more than it can chew? You need to back that up with a fact, or some analysis. Otherwise I deem your post trollworthy :P

For me, they have delivered on their promises so far, I've enjoyed my little visits, though I still can't pilot for toffee.

The developer is well known and highly regarded. They have more money than they know what to do with.

My only fear is that people will need super rigs to play it. My set up will cope I think though by the time the game is finished I'll probably be upgrading anyway :)

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

What I meant is that this game is a huge undertaking. I haven't read into the developers too much but this will be the first of its kind. I would definitely love to play a game like this. It seems to provide everything we need and want in a game. Ships, cities, exploration, space, fighting and etc.

I love the idea and I would definitely spend $100 for a complete game.

As a pessimist, I must look at the actuality of the project. Can this game be completed with their budget? What is left for them to do and what budget do they have? Last I read, they were sitting at $68 million crowd funded money. I don't think this is nearly enough to produce their vision of a massive explorable, and basically being able to interact with everything.

That's why I said they have bitten off more than they can chew. The budget alone I think they would require well over $100 million. If they continue to raise money and break that $100 million barrier they'll be able to do it. If they don't expand their budget then it would be difficult.

I haven't had a chance to search yet but have they increased their budget more than $70 mil?

What I meant is that this game is a huge undertaking. I haven't read into the developers too much but this will be the first of its kind. I would definitely love to play a game like this. It seems to provide everything we need and want in a game. Ships, cities, exploration, space, fighting and etc.

I love the idea and I would definitely spend $100 for a complete game.

As a pessimist, I must look at the actuality of the project. Can this game be completed with their budget? What is left for them to do and what budget do they have? Last I read, they were sitting at $68 million crowd funded money. I don't think this is nearly enough to produce their vision of a massive explorable, and basically being able to interact with everything.

That's why I said they have bitten off more than they can chew. The budget alone I think they would require well over $100 million. If they continue to raise money and break that $100 million barrier they'll be able to do it. If they don't expand their budget then it would be difficult.

I haven't had a chance to search yet but have they increased their budget more than $70 mil?

I totally agree with what you say. It is a massive undertaking, and with my honest hat on I would say that that it 'probably' won't be the game I want it to be. 

But, it's something I will support while it appears headed in the right direction. My only doubts aren't to do with how much they eventually raise but whether it's yet technologically possible to pull off what they want to achieve.

We'll see :)

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I am really torn on this game. I was in the last Beta they did(The public one around Christmas), and I didn't really play it. Not sure why, but nothing stood out and grabbed me. I have faith in Chris Roberts, but only really because of Wing Commander, which was ages ago, and I am not really sure if it would work now.

I look at mmo's like EVE, which is 20gb, damn near impossible to fully explore every system, and think what the hell are these guys going to do with 100gb?

I hope they don't go down the SWTOR road and try to have everything be voice acted, because it was horrible. Destiny works well with all voice acting because the text is short and to the point.

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

It will exceed 100GB so an 120SSD won't do ya.

Oh and this game will definitely go ahead 

It's currently taking up about 21GB on my hard drive and it's all pretty basic so far so I don't doubt it will get a lot bigger.

My SSD is currently 250GB but by the time this game needs it I'll also have a 1TB (or even 2TB the way SSDs are going) SSD as well.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I am really torn on this game. I was in the last Beta they did(The public one around Christmas), and I didn't really play it. Not sure why, but nothing stood out and grabbed me. I have faith in Chris Roberts, but only really because of Wing Commander, which was ages ago, and I am not really sure if it would work now.

I look at mmo's like EVE, which is 20gb, damn near impossible to fully explore every system, and think what the hell are these guys going to do with 100gb?

I hope they don't go down the SWTOR road and try to have everything be voice acted, because it was horrible. Destiny works well with all voice acting because the text is short and to the point.

It's true to say there's not much to it at the moment unless immersing yourself in the lore and facts is your thing. The flight sim, racing and combat are pretty basic still but I do have a play every once in a while.

I'm still expecting the final game to be awesome but it's a long way off. To put it into perspective, I started playing DayZ mod in end of summer 2012, people were expecting a standalone by that christmas, it's now 2015 and the DayZ standalone is still far from complete. 

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I can't see how its 21gb.

Is it ship textures?

Audio files?

cut scenes?

World of Warcraft, 10 year old game, with large amounts of content is about 25gb currently

EVE, mentioned above, is 20. It has 277 different ships, and I am not sure about Stations, Defenses, jumpgates, or NPC's. 

It really is hard to comprehend. Can you datamine it? hell, just folder sizes would be fine

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

It's true to say there's not much to it at the moment unless immersing yourself in the lore and facts is your thing. The flight sim, racing and combat are pretty basic still but I do have a play every once in a while.

I'm still expecting the final game to be awesome but it's a long way off. To put it into perspective, I started playing DayZ mod in end of summer 2012, people were expecting a standalone by that christmas, it's now 2015 and the DayZ standalone is still far from complete. 

In the Beta I was part of, there was very little Lore to be found.

I will grant you though, that I didn't hunt to hard for it (can't remember why). Games like this demand some decent lore, so thats a huge bonus in my mind.

I might try to grab it again here soon and see what it has to offer this weekend. If I am able to.

I can't see how its 21gb.

Is it ship textures?

Audio files?

cut scenes?

World of Warcraft, 10 year old game, with large amounts of content is about 25gb currently

EVE, mentioned above, is 20. It has 277 different ships, and I am not sure about Stations, Defenses, jumpgates, or NPC's. 

It really is hard to comprehend. Can you datamine it? hell, just folder sizes would be fine

Well, you won't find any lore in game currently, but the stuff they have created online is getting bigger all the time: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link

20GB by itself  all taken by objects and textures. The main male character pak. is 1.7GB.

I think there will be some major optimisation as the game progresses but yes, it's mind boggling.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I've had the star citizen for about a year or so now and I've been impressed with the regular comms and updates, received the following today:

Greetings Citizens,ChrisRobertsDirecting-300x201.jpg

Dateline: Austin, Texas. I am in town helping the persistent universe team prepare for our SXSW presentation on Sunday and to kick off next week’s CIG Networking Summit. We’ll be talking out the details of our backend infrastructure in the cloud and how the various servers and services will interact with the clients. Not as sexy as showing off new spaceships, but absolutely essential to make Star Citizen work! On Sunday, we’re hosting a SXSW closing party which will include a Star Citizen presentation. Anyone in the area is encouraged to attend, see what we’re working on and spend time with the team. It’s a good sneak peak at what we’re going to be putting out after Star Marine drops. For those that can’t make it, we’ll have a video from the presentation up on Sunday and the entire presentation available next week.

Of course, we’re also pushing forward with our public releases of the game itself! As you know, we’ve been working in the week since PAX East to get Star Citizen 1.1 out the door. We sat down to review a build candidate this morning and have decided that it’s not ready for launch today. We’re doing some additional work to make sure that two of our big features are polished: the multiplayer free flight mode and the manual take-off and landing. Both of these are important prototypes for the finished Star Citizen game and both move us away from a simple combat game to a broader universe to explore and interact with.

In the meantime, we have launched a new PTU build of our most current iteration. The PTU process is proving invaluable because it not only gives backers more opportunities to test things, but it also shows you what we’re working on and (on occasion) why it isn’t ready for primetime yet. In this case, expect to enjoy the Retaliator in the Hangar and the Gladius in flight… but you may run into some trouble while trying to use the auto-landing system! Being open with your backers is one of the keys to a successful crowd funding project, and it’s hard to imagine being more open than letting you play our test builds! I’ve also asked that the long-awaited weapons mount design post, which we had been planning to put out for the 1.1 release, be published today. It should be available now on the Comm-Link!

When it goes live next week (barring serious issues!) Star Citizen 1.1 will add the Retaliator, the Gladius, the RECsystem, multiplayer free flight, improvements to the flight model, manual and automatic landings… and then behind the screens it will premiere things like the 64-bit floating point that will soon allow us to create significantly larger maps. But perhaps the single most important thing about 1.1 is that it’s Star Citizen and not Arena Commander.: With 1.1, we’re doing a lot behind the scenes to set up rapid expansion that you’ll see over the next few months as we add Star Marine and the social module to the Star Citizen experience. You’ll still see plenty of changes and enhancements to Arena Commander, which forms the basis for our spaceflight system, but I now see us building the full game out in many directions.

Looking forward: our next major release is Star Citizen 1.2, which will add Star Marine to the mix. I’m incredibly pleased with the reaction both backers and gamers alike had to the Astro Arena at PAX East, and I’ve asked the team at Illfonic to spend additional time on the polish for this one. With a big focus on cleaning up character animations, I’m hoping to put out something that won’t just meet the expectations of our backers but that will also showcase to other gamers what Star Citizen is capable of! We’ll have more details as we get closer; expect to see our Community team in Denver hosting a remote episode of AtV and introducing you to more of the characters behind this aspect of Star Citizen.

Finally, I’d also like to congratulate all of our backers on $75 million in crowd funding raised. As I’ve said before, I don’t like to focus on money in these letters… but it’s still quite a milestone! You have put an incredible amount of trust in me and the Star Citizen team, and we intend to deliver the game you deserve. In honor of this achievement and the impending launch of 1.1, I’m going to go ahead and start everyone off with 5,000 REC. This should help us kickstart the new system, let our designers observe it in action for the next balance pass… and give you all some cool toys to play with!

— Chris Roberts

END TRANSMISSIOn

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Patch 1.1.0 dropped today, can't wait til I finish work!

There have been significant changes to this version of the game that will require reinstalling the entire game client. It will be required to uninstall the game and delete any files that remain afterwards before downloading the new patch.

1.1.0 Installation Guide

Gameplay 
Added Free Flight Multiplayer
Added backend functionality for IFCS to turn off when a ship lands
Added Landing/Docking mode to Free Flight (engaged using N)
Added ability for ships to request landing permission in Free Flight (engaged using middle mouse button while Landing/Docking is active)
Added Automatic Approach landing mode to Free Flight (engaged using M when in range of a landing zone after having been given permission to land)
Added groundwork tech for new ship damage state system
Added the Rental Equipment Credits system. Our community team have a walkthrough here
Added a system for ships to generate turbulence when using their thrusters to hover over something

Ships Gladius is now combat ready
Added new ship damage state system to the Gladius
Retaliator is now hangar ready

Components Added Aurora SXSW paint skin
Redesigned ballistic weapons so they have their own loadouts which will allow them to automatically be attached with ammunition

User Interface Added a visual overheat warning to the HUD to accompany the auditory warning
Added identifier numbers to the end of non-unique Vanduul in Vanduul swarm
Added HUD element to display status of ESP toggle (no keybinding option yet but it can be turned on and off in the Main Menu)
Added HUD element to display when landing gear is deploying and deployed
Added an altimeter for Landing/Docking mode to show ships how far away from the platform the ship is
Added Rental Equipment Credits to scoreboard (the total value of credits earned is not calculated until the match is over)
Added ping value to scoreboard (currently doesn’t work)
Added custom sensitivity curves to control options
Added backend support to allow the creation of subgroups within subgroups in control options

Environment Added Simpod to hangar (replaces ship cockpit arena commander menu)
Added Xian ship miniature
Added Khartu-Al ship miniature

Balance/Tweaks:

Gameplay 
Increased number of landing platforms in Free Flight to 8
Changed friendly fire system – Pilots now receive “Infractions” for doing an amount of friendly fire damage in a short space of time. Too many of these causes them to be kicked from the game
Comstab is less aggressive in how quickly it decelerates the ship which will lead to some drift
Scoreboard is now bound to the tab key
Freelook is now bound right ctrl+tab
Crouch is now bound to ctrl
G-safe now limits based on ship velocities rather than set points

Ships Adjusted handling for multiple ship families
Updated lighting system for 300 series
300 series have had their wing mount size changed to the correct value of size 2
Aurora headlights system updated to use multiple light sources
Hornets have had their ball turret weapon mount size changed to the correct value of size 2
Hornets now fold their wings back while landing
The Cutlass have had their turret weapon mount size changed to the correct value of size 2
M50 can now mount size 2 weapons on its wings if it is not using gimbals
Mustang nose turret adjusted to hold size 1 weapons

Components Replaced Mass Driver Cannon fire sound with something more appropriate for a 60mm Ballistic (was laser)
Gimbaled weapon mounts have been adjusted so that they now hold weapons that are one size smaller than the mount
Fixed mounts are now a part of the ship and allow weapons equal to the slot size to be attached to the ship without the need of an additional equipment
Adjusted damage and heat per shot for Sledge II to normalize it vs other size 1 weapons
Adjusted missile mass to a more realistic value
Rattler second stage rockets are slightly faster and have better acceleration

User Interface Removed Arena Commander UI from all ship cockpits (available through Simpod and escape menu)
Removed landing pads from ship radar sphere unless ship is in landing mode
G-safe light deactivates when boost is held down
Self-destruct is now a customizable binding
Holotable now sorts items based on type, subtype (where applicable) and name
Holotable can now be interacted with after pressing F (no longer need to press tab)
Changed importing custom control setups so that it allows the entire default profile to be overridden based on forum feedback

Fixes:

(PTU) – Denotes an issue from PTU that was fixed

Gameplay 
REC now reports to the website(PTU)
Ships are now able to take off if a pilot reenters a seat after they land using automatic approach(PTU)
Fixed multiple issues where landing a ship would prevent it from being able to take off(PTU)
Fixed issue where using AMD crossfire would cause the new damage state system to display incorrectly(PTU)
Fixed an issue that was causing AI pilots to misjudge the position of a ship they were trying to avoid
Fixed final kill alert sound playing any time a ships is destroyed after a pilot reaches 13000 points in battle royale
Fixed a bug where calculated torque was occasionally incorrect causing instability in the ship
Fixed issue that was causing thrusters to twitch back and forth
Fixed Vanduul missiles skipping their flight phase in Coop Vanduul Swarm
Enemy and friendly NPC ships are now spawning correctly in Dying Star Vanduul Swarm(PTU)
Fixed an issue that was causing time played to be reported incorrectly
Fixed an issue where opening the holotable after equipping certain weapons would cause the game to crash(PTU)
Increased distance that ships will deploy their landing gear to prevent them from pushing themselves off the landing platform(PTU)
Fixed an issue where passengers entering a ship while the pilot is still sitting in the cockpit will cause the pilot to go through the same animations(PTU)
Characters should now die when hitting collision at high speed instead of going through it(PTU)
Fixed an issue where using HOMAS or TrackIR whilst using Target Focus causes the players head to shake and move uncontrollably
Fixed issue where character will sometimes spawn with the helmet on backwards

Ships 300 series have their starboard cooling components back
350r now respawns without damaging its components
350r center of mass was in the wrong location and has been corrected*
Mustang Beta will no longer have one of the doors in the cabin float above it if it’s used
Mustang variant ships were using the incorrect thrusters(PTU)
Retaliator now appears in the hangar(PTU)

Components Fixed several shield generators having visible one sided geometry in the holotable
Adjusted weapon tech setup that was preventing the 9-Series Longsword from animating when fired
MaxOx NN-13 Neutron Cannon has had its name corrected
Tigerstriek is no longer missing collision

User Interface Fixed an issue that was causing the game client to steal mouse focus when loading into the hangar
Fixed an issue that was causing the scoreboard to appear when modifier keys were pressed with the tab button

Known Issues:

Gameplay 
Network divergence can cause situations where it appears like a ship is not taking damage when the shots are actually missing
A combination of sprinting and shaking the mouse can cause the character to clip through a number of game objects
Sprinting and jumping into walls will sometimes cause the character to fall out of the game world
Weapons fire can appear offset from weapon muzzle when fired while moving
Entering or exiting a ship will cause other clients to see the character T-pose
Characters rolling while prone is not seen by other clients
Characters will sometimes fail to animate correctly when exiting the pilot seat after landing
Lateral G-Force head animation is too fast which causes the camera to jerk around while strafing

Ships All ships aside from the Hornet are missing ship trails when carrying a Core
Multiple ships will sometimes tilt back when landing on landing platforms
300i jitters after having landed on a landing pad
Aurora intakes aren’t displaying paint
Aurora are not showing lateral G-force animations for the character
Avenger has some doors that cannot be opened in multiplayer
Entering the back seat of the Gladiator plays the animation for entering the front seat.
Freelancer loading ramp has no collision
Cutlass isn’t attaching its Trireme thrusters for its default loadout
Cutlass Trireme thrusters are not able to be attached in the holotable (this will be left this way until they are ready for use)
Character is sunk into the seat when sitting in the Cutlass Blue and Red
There will sometimes be an invisible block of collision in the cargo area of the Cutlass after landing the ship
Freelancer loading ramp has no collision
Freelancer main thrusters are missing
Multiple objects in the Retaliator are missing use prompts
Retaliator maneuvering thrusters are not in landing mode when in the hangar

Components User folder issues can cause weapon ammunition to go missing as well as other ship component malfunctions
Rattler Cluster missile second stage rockets will all use the same trajectory
Missiles aren’t inheriting velocity from the ship that launches them
Seal Corporation shield generators will not be visible when equipped to Hornets

User Interface Lag pips will drop out with increased distance depending on how quickly a ship is approaching their target (only happens within a few hundred meters)
Scoreboard is not able to be opened when in spectator mode
Shield hardpoint in the holotable is too small for Mustangs and 300 series
Ship status HUD for Gladius will display damage incorrectly
Missiles have a small portion of the ship targeting UI on them after being launched
Multiple in game items and ships are missing text and are displaying their internal names
Paint objects in the holotable are placeholders
Loading back into a lobby will reset the ship selection to its default (sometimes this doesn’t happen visually but still happens on the backend)
Power throttle doesn’t work

Environment There are several locations in the hangars where the character can fall out of the world

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

So what do you think after the patch?  Get to play much?  

It wouldn't open up the Arena Commander for me from the cockpit after re-installing so I got a bit annoyed and played BF4 instead :rolleyes:

For some reason I also thought they had released the FPS bit too but I was wrong, they're sill tweaking it they say.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

There's now a tutorial to help you through the take-off process and then takes you to do some combat practice. 

I tried it out at the weekend and it's the best thing they have introduced so far.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

A wee update on this....

Chris Roberts discusses his ambitions for Squadron 42 and spending four months on performance capture

Star Citizen’s single-player campaign Squadron 42 will have a top-level movie cast bigger than any other game, Cloud Imperium CEO Chris Roberts has claimed.

Speaking to Develop, Roberts said he cast Squadron 42 like he would have done during his time working in film, an industry where he spent a number of years working as a director and producer. Earlier this year, the team spent four months shooting performance capture for the game at Ealing Studios in the UK.

“We have a top-level movie cast more than any game that’s been out there, period, by a long way,” he said.

“So I cast it like I did my movies. It’s acted like the movies. We have the full performance capture, we’re pushing the tech as much as possible.”

Cloud Imperium is working with firms such as 3Lateral and Cubic Motion to help bring the single-player campaign to life. Roberts said all performances in-game will occur in real-time, rather than a pre-rendered cutscene.

“It should be different the way Wing Commander 3 and 4 felt, where you saw the scenes play out, which was kind of cool,” he said.

“But this is all fluid, first-person, in the game itself, and you’re under full control. It’s not pre-canned or anything. You’re hanging out with these people that you would know, and they’re your wingmen, your commanding officer or whatever. I think it’s going to be great.”

Roberts said the studio has yet to share too much information on the single-player element of Star Citizen as he does not want to ruin the narrative for players. He claimed however that it will "compete with the biggest triple-A games".

He added that further details on Squadron 42 will be announced at CitizenCon in Manchester on October 10th.

We’ll be publishing our full interview with Chris Roberts on the state of Star Citizen and where the crowdfunding money for one of the most expensive games of all time has been invested in the October issue of Develop magazine, which is out next week.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/star-citizen-single-player-will-have-top-level-movie-cast/0211861

Patch 2.0 released last week and I had a play about today.

This game is really starting to come together and hope a few of us are playing by the time it's fully released. 

There's still plenty to do and plenty of optimisation is needed, frame drops all over the place when you're out of the ship...it's still in dev so I won;t moan about that, yet.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg