Book recommendations.

Palle

Hey everyone. I'm looking for some advice on what books to read...

I mostly like philosophical stuff and have a new interest for poetry. I would like some deep, meaningful reads... If you know any old classics, that would be great.

History is much welcome, especially if it's related to war or secret operations.

I'm not into fictional stuff when it comes to books, except horror and mystery. Fantasy books usually doesn't appeal to me. If it's a horror/fantasy or similar to Game of Thrones it might work.

Crime/drama is not my thing.

I like autobiographies/biographies.

Old classics: Anything my Alistair MacLean. I believe some of his books were made into movies as well which are also worth a watch. His books are mostly war related, although some have other topics.

If you want a suprisingly good read, try the books by Joe Abercrombie. I picked up one a couple of years back, not sure what to expect from it. Now I've got all his books. I'd say it's fiction/fantasy. Bit dark to be honest, but definetly a really good read. Make sure to check what book he gave out first though, they are all connected. Probably my favourite writer right now.

The Rise of Teddy Roosevelt

Theodore Rex

The first covers Teddy's life up to his presidency.  The second covers his terms as president.  He is one of our most interesting presidents, a manly man's man of manliness after a fragile early childhood, and just a fascinating personality.

The Old Man and the Sea by Hemingway is a great read and a total classic. I read it for the first time last summer and loved it.

Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer is a true story look at what the movie was based on and very moving with things that were true yet not in the movie, great read.

Walden by Henry David Thoreau is a good read. I'm about 60% done with that one. Good read, but be warned, it's written in old English style (1800's) and a bit hard of a read, but good.

Just finished reading the Broken Empire series by Mark Lawrence

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0072NWJ3Y/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?ie=UTF8&btkr=1

(That is book 2)

Really solid alternate history/ future book. The protagonist isn't so much an Anti-Hero as a straight up villain. I highly recommend the series to anyone wanting a decent fantasy series.

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Nice. Chad and I were looking at this trilogy as well. I've been digging the idea of books that are from the perspective of the villan. Yet more books to add to the never ending To-Read list...

I never liked fantasy books until I read Name of the Wind, which is a book I feel everyone should read.  Read that book, and the sequel (a 3rd coming out in 2016), and then got turned on to the Mistborn trilogy.  

You're really missing out by not giving them a chance.

Doc you said you would read Name of the Wind come winter - time to pony up!

Nice. Chad and I were looking at this trilogy as well. I've been digging the idea of books that are from the perspective of the villan. Yet more books to add to the never ending To-Read list...

I grabbed them during a sale a while back, and never got around to them. Once I started reading the first book, I was hooked. I have no idea how long they are, but I know during my first sitting my kindle said I hit around 35% of the book. I honestly couldn't stop reading them.

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

I never liked fantasy books until I read Name of the Wind, which is a book I feel everyone should read.  Read that book, and the sequel (a 3rd coming out in 2016), and then got turned on to the Mistborn trilogy.  

You're really missing out by not giving them a chance.

Doc you said you would read Name of the Wind come winter - time to pony up!

Oh, I actually did.  I read the Wise Man's Fear as well.  I enjoyed them.

Someone is hanging on to the Mistborn rights for a movie(s) - I can't believe that hasn't happened yet.  Those would be epic

Chad's just finishing up Wise Man's Fear. He was pretty excited when he read about the movie. Though annoyed at the same time. It's kind of like what's going on with A Song of Ice and Fire, starting film production of some sort before the series is completely written. But then, who to say that The Name of the Wind is going to start filming any time soon. Jeff Bridges bought the right to The Giver in the 90's and it didn't get made for 15 years.

I really hope that it doesn't take years for the movie to come out. I haven't been to a movie theater in 10+ years but I would actually go to see this on opening night.

Lionsgate bought the rights, so hopefully that means we can expect something soon.

I was actually referencing a movie about the mistborn trilogy. It's hard to say which series I like more. Mistborn is truly a masterpiece. Read those if you haven't already

It really seems like I've been seeing Mistborn all over the internet for the few months. I added it to my to-read list in September, but I feel like I've been seeing mentioned at an exponential rate since then. I guess the book gods are trying to tell me to read it soon.

Reading American Gods right now. I truly get what all the hype is about it. I try not to feed into hype to much so I don't get disappointed. But if you like something that's a bit off beat and story driven it's a good one.

Reading American Gods right now. I truly get what all the hype is about it. I try not to feed into hype to much so I don't get disappointed. But if you like something that's a bit off beat and story driven it's a good one.

Go read Good Omens next, and then maybe Anansi Boys

Actually just read everything by Neil Gaiman

Ditto on the Neil Gaiman books.  American Gods was the first one I've read, but I've went through a bunch since.

I just bought "Shadows of Self" which is the sequel to "Alloy of Law".  We'll see how it goes.  I loved the original Mistborn trilogy, but Alloy was good but not great.  Side note:  $15 for a fucking paperback these days?  I bought it on Kindle, but still.

I loved American gods. Such an awesome read. I plan on getting the other books in the series in the near future. I'm currently reading the red knight by miles Cameron. Part 1 of the traitor son series. Pretty good so far.

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

Side note: $15 for a fucking paperback these days? I bought it on Kindle, but still.

Library book sales. Seriously. Went to one for the first time two years ago and got 14 books for just $24. Been going every year since then. Granted, it doesn't always have new releases, but that's where I grabbed American Gods and Good Omens (so I will be reading that as soon as my friend returns it).

I can't remember how I heard about the Black Company series; probably when I was looking for books that are from the viewpoint of the villain, maybe? Either way, I'm excited to read them next year.

^^ What she says about library sales.

Most libraries across the country are woefully underfunded, so they accept donations, which they in turn sell to folks for a few nickles on the dollar.

Every library around here has a "store" attached to it, where you can buy books. Before I left Chicago, it was starting to happen there as well. I know Indiana is far behind the curve, but you guys should have something similar  :D

Black Company:

Finished book 1 last night. I can't agree with it being from the perspective of the villian. 

The book is about the Black Company, a group of Mercenaries, that took a contract and are doing their best to work it through. 

The big background piece to the story is that about a thousand years ago, Evil won the great war between good and evil.

It was written in a weird form of 3rd person limited. At times it weaves back and forth, which is okay, but does take some getting used to.

Much like the Prince of Thorns series, I was unable to STOP reading this one. 

I just bought "Shadows of Self" which is the sequel to "Alloy of Law".  We'll see how it goes.  I loved the original Mistborn trilogy, but Alloy was good but not great.  Side note:  $15 for a fucking paperback these days?  I bought it on Kindle, but still.

Totally worth it.  Still not quite on par with the original Mistborn, but a really really good book.  The ending is...wow.

Radical: My Journey out of Islamist Extremism.

Absolutely riveting book. The biography is a great read on its own. The knowledge you gain on how Muslins are recruited to extremism, and how little religion is actually involved except to back up politics and selective accounts of current events, is well worth knowing. The counters, and the success of deradicalization is equally fascinating.