FIA Formula 1 World Championship

deterioration

Lets see if Vettel can tie his 7 wins in a row record and if Mercedes can stay ahead of Ferrari in constructors points. Should still be exciting!

Race Preview

2013 ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX

1-3 NOVEMBER 2013

After a decisive Indian Grand Prix, Formula One makes the short trip to the United Arab Emirates. The destination this week is the Yas Marina Circuit, home to the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, the 17th round of the 2013 FIA Formula One World Championship.

F1’s only day/night race presents an interesting challenge to teams and drivers alike, with each sector asking a different set of questions. Sector one features high-speed cornering, then, after the hairpin the two long back straights make for a high-speed, heavy-braking section demanding good traction out of the corners. Finally, Yas turns into a street circuit with a twisty, low-speed final sector, skirting the perimeter of the yacht basin and diving under the Yas Viceroy hotel. The demands of each sector are far from complimentary, making the best compromise on set-up even more difficult to locate than is usually the case.

Tyre wear may be less of a factor than was the case in India. While Pirelli is bringing the same pairing of medium and soft compounds to Yas, this circuit in the past has shown itself to induce less wear than Buddh International. The race does, however, introduce the quirk of a swiftly falling temperature gradient. The rapid transition from day to night in the Gulf state means the race may finish with track temperatures 15°C lower than those experienced in the early laps. 

Despite both championships being mathematically decided last week, the final three races of the season are far from dead rubbers. The battle for second place in the Constructors’ Championship is intense: thanks to a double-points finish in India, Mercedes moved marginally ahead of Ferrari, while Lotus also made ground. Meanwhile, at the back Marussia and Caterham are scrapping over the all-important tenth spot. There’s much at stake this weekend.

1391721_10151677304657411_1685339081_n.j

jpw_tyrannosaurus-rex_zpscpttjstm.jpg

Austin, TX this weekend... Yeeeehaaaw! :lol:

Race Preview
2013 UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX
14-17 NOVEMBER 2013

For the penultimate race of the 2013 season, Formula One makes it way to Texas and Austin’s Circuit of the Americas, the second time the sport has visited the 5.513km track.

Immediately popular with most F1 drivers on its inauguration last year, the counter-clockwise circuit is an intriguing blend of corner types, with sections modeled on famous stretches of some of the world’s most celebrated grand prix tracks.

The first sector in particular was singled out for praise by many drivers due to the challenge presented by its first corner, approached up a steep hill and featuring a blind apex, and because of the rapid changes of direction through turns four to six, said to resemble the Maggots-Becketts complex at Silverstone.

Sector two contains a long straight ending in a good overtaking opportunity at Turn 12, while the final sector is a more technical stretch similar in style to Hockenheim’s stadium section and the tricky Turn 19, a downhill medium-speed left-hander which many branded the toughest corner on the track to get right.

Last year’s race was notable for high track evolution over the weekend and cold weather that made getting tyres up to optimum working temperature difficult.

With Sebastian Vettel and his Red Bull Racing team untouchable in the Drivers’ and Constructors’ Championships attention turns to the runners-up spots, particularly in the teams’ competition. There, Mercedes, on 334 points, have an 11-point lead over Ferrari. However, the momentum is marginally with the Silvers Arrows, who have scored 67 points over the last four races compared with the Prancing Horse’s 49.

In the driver’s battle, with third-placed Kimi Raikkonen of Lotus set to miss the final two rounds of the season, second-placed Fernando Alonso of Ferrari looks certain to claim the runners-up spot.

1454707_10151706584107411_784471622_n.jp

Austin was exciting. My favorite part was when Maldonado claimed that Williams sabotaged his car for qually.  :lol: I really hate him!

Last race of the season! Bye bye Mark and V8's :(

Race Preview
2013 BRAZILIAN GRAND PRIX
22-24 NOVEMBER 2013

Brazil plays host to the 19th and final round of the 2013 FIA Formula One World Championship as teams make their way to São Paulo and the suburb of Interlagos, home of the Autódromo José Carlos Pace.

The lap of Interlagos is one of the year’s shortest but it crams a lot into its 15 turns and 4.3 kilometres.  It presents a classic demand for compromise between the high-downforce requirements of the looping medium-low speed middle section and the flat-out, low-drag search for ultimate top speed that characterises the long section uphill from the Junção corner to the start-finish line, which then drops down to the overtaking-friendly, heavy-braking Senna S.

As in 2012, Pirelli will bring its Hard and Medium compounds to Interlagos. The rain-affected 2012 race provides few clues to strategy but key to Jenson Button’s victory last year was his ability to run on slicks in marginal conditions, winning on a two-stop strategy while his pursuers made an extra stop for rain tyres. The forecasts suggest rain may play a part again.

Even if rain does fall, the 2013 edition is unlikely to deliver quite the level of drama seen in 2012’s title-decider. However, although the main issues of the season have been resolved, F1 goes to Interlagos with questions still to be answered. There are tight battles up and down the field in the Constructors’ Championship, not least of which is the competition for second place. In the USA, Mercedes increased their lead over Ferrari to 15 points, while Lotus remain a long-shot thanks to Romain Grosjean’s sterling efforts in Austin. Meanwhile, at the other end of the table, Marussia and Caterham are fighting to avoid finishing the season in last place. Marussia currently hold tenth, courtesy of Jules Bianchi’s 13th-place finish in Malaysia. In the normal course of events it would be difficult to imagine that being under threat – but Interlagos is perfectly capable of springing a surprise.

1463963_10151723421357411_1358088840_n.j

Also, interesting writeup on the 2014 turbos!: F1's Hybrid turbos are awesome and you want one in your car. Now

Austin was exciting. My favorite part was when Maldonado claimed that Williams sabotaged his car for qually.  :lol: I really hate him!

Would love to see the back of him after all he has come out with recently, as well as his habit of managing to crash into other cars and then blame it on the other drivers.

Mercedes looking strong in the first practice but im sure Vettel is just waiting to lunch into a lap on FP2 that will blow everybody away for another race :(

APmVvKG.gif

Would love to see the back of him after all he has come out with recently, as well as his habit of managing to crash into other cars and then blame it on the other drivers.

Mercedes looking strong in the first practice but im sure Vettel is just waiting to lunch into a lap on FP2 that will blow everybody away for another race :(

I've never been a fan of his. His poor attitude toward the Williams F1 Team makes him look like a big baby. He's lucky just to stand next to the car. If it was in my power I would have punched him through the TV.

10+ seconds off pace. I hate the rain!

2013 Brazilian Grand Prix – Free Practice 1 Result

1 Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1:24.781

2 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1:25.230 0.449

3 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull Racing 1:25.387 0.606

4 Jenson Button McLaren 1:25.391 0.610

5 Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1:25.593 0.812

6 Mark Webber Red Bull Racing 1:25.797 1.016

7 Sergio Perez McLaren 1:25.946 1.165

8 Daniil Kvyat Toro Rosso 1:26.064 1.283

9 Heikki Kovalainen Lotus 1:26.133 1.352

10 Nico Hulkenberg Sauber 1:26.232 1.451

11 Felipe Massa Ferrari 1:26.248 1.467

12 Esteban Gutierrez Sauber  1:26.326 1.545

13 Romain Grosjean Lotus 1:26.570 1.789

14 Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso 1:26.593 1.812

15 Adrian Sutil Force India 1:27.115 2.334

16 Valtteri Bottas Williams 1:27.269 2.488

17 Pastor Maldonado Williams 1:27.358 2.577

18 James Calado Force India 1:27.436 2.655

19 Giedo van der Garde Caterham 1:28.107 3.326

20 Charles Pic Caterham 1:28.199 3.418

21 Jules Bianchi Marussia 1:30.004 5.223

22 Rodolfo Gonzalez Marussia 1:32.646 7.865

FP2 is going on right now…

What a fucking surprise. Webbers got a chance to catch Vettel and oh, whats this? Another issue in the pit stop costing just enough time so that Vettel will be fine for the end of the race.

The Red Bull situation is absurd, and Christian Horner is a spineless twat.

#rage

APmVvKG.gif

What a fucking surprise. Webbers got a chance to catch Vettel and oh, whats this? Another issue in the pit stop costing just enough time so that Vettel will be fine for the end of the race.

The Red Bull situation is absurd, and Christian Horner is a spineless twat.

#rage

lol we knew after Korea in the rain years ago when Mark blew his championship chances that Seb was #1 at RB. I also find it fishy that when Mark's at a track hes strong at his car isn't cooperative or pit stops extend mysteriously. I really like Webber and salute him for his decision to leave. I also agree with his statements on the sport being more about tire management than raw speed. Which IMO F1 should be about; who's the fastest in what car not who's formula can manage tires better. Thanks Bernie and world wide F1 fans for pushing the sport further away from the speed spectacle it used to be. :rolleyes:

2014 schedule confirmed with no India (we know), New Jersey, Korea or Mexico. But we do pick up Russia (Sochi Olympic Park Circuit) and Austria (Red Bull Ring)! I'm sad about NJ but as I shared before not surprised because people are still clawing back from Super Storm Sandy. Interested to see if the Russians can build the track in time. :lol:

I will miss India. It's a great track when you get into a rhythm and I like the elevation changes. Mexico looked in an absolutely shit heap during reports from the track. Needs new grandstands, track resurfacing and God knows how many other infrastructure updates to accommodate a safe F1 race for drivers and fans.

FIA confirms revised calendar for 2014

Formula One racing’s governing body, the FIA, has published a revised calendar for the 2014 world championship following a meeting of its World Motor Sport Council in Paris on Wednesday.

The season will kick off in Australia on March 16 and conclude in Abu Dhabi on November 23. The two new races - in Austria and Russia - will be held on June 22 and October 12 respectively.

The three Grands Prix listed as provisional on the original 2014 schedule - America (New Jersey), Korea and Mexico - do not feature on the revised calendar. New Jersey organisers have said they hope the race will feature in 2015.

The 2014 calendar in full:

16/03 Australia
30/03 Malaysia
06/04 Bahrain
20/04 China
11/05 Spain
25/05 Monaco
08/06 Canada
22/06 Austria
06/07 Great Britain
20/07 Germany
27/07 Hungary
24/08 Belgium
07/09 Italy
21/09 Singapore
05/10 Japan
12/10 Russia
02/11 United States
09/11 Brazil
23/11 Abu Dhabi

UM? WHAT! @ The penalties and 2x points in the last race.

Formula One Regulation Changes
FIA Formula One World Championship
Mon 09.12.13

Paris – 9 December 2013

Following a meeting of the F1 Strategy Group and the Formula One Commission in Paris today, the following items have been unanimously approved:

Cost cap
The principle of a global cost cap has been adopted. The limit will be applied from January 2015.

A working group will be established within the coming days comprising the FIA, representatives of the Commercial Rights Holder and Team representatives.

The objective of the working group will be to have regulations approved by the end of June 2014.

Pirelli Tyre test – Bahrain, 17-19 December, 2013
The F1 Commission agreed to a change to the 2013 Sporting Regulations, on safety grounds, allowing the Formula One tyre supplier to carry out a three-day test in Bahrain from 17-19 December, 2013. All Formula One teams have been invited to take part in the test and six have accepted: Red Bull Racing, Mercedes, Ferrari, McLaren, Force India and Toro Rosso.

Driver numbers
Drivers will be asked to choose their race number, between 2 and 99, for the duration of their career in the FIA Formula One World Championship. Number 1 will be reserved for the current World Champion, should he choose to use it.

If more than one driver choses the same number, priority will be given to the driver who finished highest in the previous year’s championship.

New penalties
The principle of a five-second penalty for minor infringements was agreed. In what form such a penalty will be applied will be discussed with Formula One’s teams in order that a new regulation be introduced for 2014 season.

Points for the last race
Double drivers’ and constructors’ points will be awarded at the final race of the Formula One season in order to maximise focus on the Championship until the end of the campaign.

These changes are immediately applicable, given the mandate assigned to the FIA President at the last World Motor Sport Council meeting, held on 4 December in Paris.

FIA Formula One Press Office

The double points is hilarious. Red Bull's dominance seems to be hurting the sport if the higher ups are resorting to double points in one race. No race should be worth more points than the other.

Fuck my principles though, if it might help someone beat Vettel then I'm up for it. Either that or second place might end up 100 points behind Vettel by the end of the season rather than 75 :D .

I heard a rumor from a very credible source that the F1 strategy group are considering making Vettel race the 2014 season blindfolded.  They also loosely suggested that if this doesn't materialise; they would also consider forcing him to race in reverse. 

Personally I would just give everyone a 200 point start and see how it plays. I'm sure F1 can't turn into an even bigger joke than it has been last season.

The fact that Di Resta doesn't have a drive but Maldonado effectively gets a promotion to Lotus shows everything that's wrong with world class sport. Money talks, even if you're a talentless scumbag.

I'm not sure if I've expressed how much I hate Maldonado. Like I wouldn't piss in his mouth if he was dieing of thirst hate.

Some pre-season news. Driver numbers and JB's dad's passing.

2014 Driver Numbers:

Red Bull
1: Sebastian Vettel.
3: Daniel Ricciardo.

Mercedes
44: Lewis Hamilton.
6: Nico Rosberg.

Ferrari
14: Fernando Alonso.
7: Kimi Raikkonen.

Lotus
8: Romain Grosjean. *
13: Pastor Maldonado. *

McLaren
22: Jenson Button.
20: Kevin Magnussen.

Force India
27: Nico Hulkenberg.
11: Sergio Perez.

Sauber
99: Adrian Sutil.
21: Esteban Gutierrez.

Toro Rosso
25: Jean Eric Vergne.
26: Daniel Kvyat.

Williams
19: Felipe Massa.
77: Valtteri Bottas.

Marussia
17: Jules Bianchi. *
TBC: Max Chilton. *

Caterham
Both drivers still to be confirmed.

* Subject to confirmation

John Button, Jenson Button's father, has died aged 70

Looks like most teams are admitting Mercedes are the team to beat at the start of the season based on testing. I explained my thoughts that its only a matter of a few seasons time that Mercedes will win the Drivers Championship earlier in this thread. I hope the team can achieve their goal. 

Also a cool oppertunity for you UK F1 fans:

Be part of The F1 Show this season!

With the start of the eagerly-awaited F1 season now just a few weeks away, the new-look F1 Show is all set to return to action on Friday March 7, but there's just one thing missing: you!

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/25460/9171277/be-part-of-the-f1-show-this-season