FIA Formula 1 World Championship

deterioration

So coming off an exciting Belgium Qualifying and Race two weeks ago who's geared up for the Italian GP this weekend!?

1176238_10151573093742411_910279586_n.jp

More interesting info on the 2014 cars.

Future vision: Engineers discuss 2014 changes

The 2014 season will bring with it some of the biggest changes to Formula One racing’s technical regulations for quite some time. Not only is the sport adopting new 1.6-litre turbocharged V6 engines, there are also tweaks to the rules concerning aerodynamics and a far greater emphasis on energy recovery systems. We spoke to two technical directors - Toro Rosso’s James Key and Caterham’s Mark Smith - about the new regulations and what effect they’ll have on the design of next year’s cars, but first, here is a summary of the main changes:

Engine - it’s out with 2.4-litre normally-aspirated V8 engines and in with 1.6-litre V6 turbo engines, revving to a maximum of 15,000rpm.

Gearbox - gearboxes are to have eight forward ratios - rather than the current seven - which each team must nominate ahead of the season.

Energy Recovery Systems (ERS) - in 2014, a larger proportion of each car’s power will come from ERS which, together with the engine, make up the powertrain or power unit. As well as generating energy under braking, ERS units will also generate power using waste heat from the engine’s turbocharger. Unlike the current KERS - which give drivers an extra 80bhp for six seconds per lap - the 2014 ERS will give drivers around 160bhp for 33 seconds per lap. To compensate for the extra power being generated under braking by ERS, teams will be allowed to use an electronic rear brake control system.

Fuel - to promote fuel efficiency, fuel will be limited to 100kg per race.

Minimum weight - to compensate for the increased weight of the 2014 powertrain, minimum weight has been increased from the current 642kg to 690kg.

Exhaust - unlike today where two exhaust tailpipes are used, the 2014 regulations mandate the use of a single tailpipe which must be angled upwards to prevent the exhaust flow being used for aerodynamic effect. Additionally, bodywork is not allowed to be placed behind the tailpipe.

Nose height - for safety reasons the height of noses will be reduced in 2014. The maximum height is currently 550mm, whereas next year it’s 185mm.

Front wing - front wings will be a little narrower next year with the width reduced from 1800mm to 1650mm.

Rear wing - the rear wing will also look a little different in 2014 compared to this year’s models. The lower beam wing is being outlawed and the main flap will be slightly shallower in profile.

...Follow link for the rest of the article featuring a "2014 Q&A - Caterham's Mark Smith and Toro Rosso's James Key"

And current standings as of Spa:

Position/Driver/Points

01  Sebastian Vettel    197
02  Fernando Alonso    151
03  Lewis Hamilton    139
04  Kimi Räikkönen    134
05  Mark Webber    115
06   Nico Rosberg    96
07   Felipe Massa    67
08  Romain Grosjean    53
09  Jenson Button    47
10  Paul di Resta    36
11  Adrian Sutil  25
12  Sergio Perez  18
13  Jean-Eric Vergne  13
14  Daniel Ricciardo  12
15  Nico Hulkenberg  7
16  Pastor Maldonado  1
17  Valtteri Bottas  0
18  Esteban Gutierrez  0
19  Jules Bianchi  0
20  Charles Pic  0
21  Giedo van der Garde  0
22  Max Chilton  0

jpw_tyrannosaurus-rex_zpscpttjstm.jpg

Just read an article that talks about a draft for the races in 2014, could be quite interesting with a 21 race calendar

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12433/8907232/mexican-gp-part-of-record-21-race-draft-calendar-for-2014-f1-season

Thanks 'Plumbers Crack'. Get her on here! I don't base my opinions of drivers off their attractiveness but we can chat :lol:

Just read an article that talks about a draft for the races in 2014, could be quite interesting with a 21 race calendar

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12433/8907232/mexican-gp-part-of-record-21-race-draft-calendar-for-2014-f1-season

Ha ha I just came to post about it. Very sad about NJ I'm about 1:30 away and my girl is from NJ so I have a hook-up to stay very close to the track. I’m not expecting NJ to take place in 2014 with people still recuperating from Hurricane Sandy. People still haven't received money to rebuild their homes and businesses. Local business needs a shot in the arm after a shitty Labor Day weekend has them scared. I'm sure it will happen because the State wants to generate the revenue it will bring but they are focused on getting people back on their feet which is admirable. Unless I'm wrong and money wins out, it mostly does, and they fight to get it on the calender. NJ did spend $25,000,000 on an ad campaign to get tourism back. Money they could have given to people without homes :blink:

On the Mexico track: BBC did a segment on it last race. The track is in need of major renovations. F1 is going to exploit the Sergio Perez angle fully to extract as much money out of that market as possible I see, and hilariously so after Checo said in interviews Mexico isn’t really his home because he left to there race at a young age so he considers UK/Europe to be his home. Now in interviews Mexico is his home, he loves the people, the culture, being from Mexico… :lol: It’s a fucking joke. So Little Mexico AKA: "Texas" showed Bernie how much he stands to extort out of people of Mexican decent based on % of them buying tickets to the COTA GP and BAM! Mexico is on the 2014 calender. :rolleyes:

Yeah it's a shame about NJ, from what i've read the course was going to be pretty spectacular.

Holy crap balls that must have been one hell of an ad! I'm always gobsmacked by the decisions that people make. hmmm we could give people homes, orrrrrr we could make this funky video ad!

Do you think someone gave him a nudge and said you might want that support mate, Silverstone's done, now time to change nationality again lol

Yeah it's a shame about NJ, from what i've read the course was going to be pretty spectacular.

Holy crap balls that must have been one hell of an ad! I'm always gobsmacked by the decisions that people make. hmmm we could give people homes, orrrrrr we could make this funky video ad!

Do you think someone gave him a nudge and said you might want that support mate, Silverstone's done, now time to change nationality again lol

Yeah there are simulations on youtube of the track. I'm tempted to go drive it myself.

It was a whole campaign. http://www.strongerthanthestorm.com/ but still if your house just washed into the ocean you don't need an ad inviting people to come spend money in NJ!

lol exactly! He's going to take the Mexican fans and support and run away with it. It will solidify his spot with McLaren. As long as he's pouring money into the team, be it by selling more $90 t-shirts or receiving checks from the government, they will overlook his mediocre talent.

He's going to take the Mexican fans and support and run away with it. It will solidify his spot with McLaren. As long as he's pouring money into the team, be it by selling more $90 t-shirts or receiving checks from the government, they will overlook his mediocre talent.

I'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks this, how he's a replacement for Hamilton i'll never know

I'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks this, how he's a replacement for Hamilton i'll never know

We agree completely. I'm speculating here but perhaps, like Heikki Kovalainen, Lewis was ordered to bring a certain amount of revenue to the team in order to secure his position and wouldn't have it. Perhaps he felt they more than received a return on their investment with him winning a drivers championship and scoring strong constructors points/money pretty consistently. Again just a thought well never know the truth.

And Sergio as a replacement baffled me to no end as far as championship potential but he's got a lot of backing which is what teams want regardless of talent now. They probably figure if 30-50 million more pours into the budget they can allocate it to development and their car will be that much better. Driver talent taking a back seat. Which is complete and total nonsense looking at the standings this season, at what cars with what drivers are higher up than they should be and where their teammates are in comparison with the same package...

Sure makes it fun to be a spectator and scrutinize them without all of the knowledge though! :lol:

The Monza race was pretty uneventful, qually was very entertaining though, seems more attention is being focused on the calender and who's going where next season. The latest being Massa. IMO its been a long time comming. He hasnt been on form since the Hungary 2009 spring incident. Sad really hes great.

Massa’s not racing for Ferrari in 2014 F1 season
September 11, 2013

Felipe Massa has revealed he will not be racing a Ferrari in 2014.

The news, announced personally by the Brazilian driver via his Twitter and Instagram accounts, clears the way for the Maranello based team to confirm Kimi Raikkonen as his successor.

“For next year, I want to find a team that can give me a competitive car to win many more races and challenge for the championship which remains my greatest objective,” said Massa, 32.

Massa is being linked with a possible move to the German touring car series.

“I do not like endurance races,” O Estado de S.Paulo newspaper quoted Massa as saying recently in Hungary.

“DTM is something I see as possible for me.”

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo, however, was silent on the subject of Massa and Raikkonen when he appeared at the Frankfurt motor show on Tuesday.

“When there’s news we’ll let you know,” said the Italian, joking that he is in talks with Michael Schumacher.

But there remains little doubt that former team driver Kimi Raikkonen has been signed, with an announcement now imminent.

It has been rumoured Fernando Alonso is so angry at the prospect of his roost being unsettled by Raikkonen that he has looked into switching to Red Bull, Lotus and even McLaren, where he had such an unhappy campaign in 2007.

But the Spaniard said on Twitter: “Whatever decision the team will take will be good for me, and we will keep working to give Ferrari the best results possible.”

Christian Horner, team boss at Red Bull, thinks Alonso threw some toys out of the pram until it became clear Ferrari really was intent on signing Raikkonen.

“It is unusual for Ferrari,” he said on Austrian television Servus TV, “because they have always had a clear leader and a clear number 2.

“Now they are going to have two number ones.”

Some, however, believe the term ‘number 1′ is not really applicable to the odd and aloof Raikkonen.

Indeed, Ferrari boss Stefano Domenicali was quoted by EFE news agency on Tuesday as saying there is “no doubt” Alonso “is a leader” who can “move mountains” for the Italian team.

Triple world champion Niki Lauda, however, thinks Alonso was lucky to survive his Monza qualifying outburst, when he either called his Ferrari colleagues “stupid”, or – sarcastically – “geniuses”.

“Let’s say that (as a Ferrari driver) I would not have had the chance to say it a second time,” the great Austrian is quoted by La Rebubblica.

With Raikkonen heading to Ferrari, then, the next matter to be resolved in the 2014 ‘silly season’ is who will replace him at Lotus.

The smart money is on Nico Hulkenberg.

“He has had a good weekend,” team boss Eric Boullier said at Monza, “but we already knew that Nico is a fast driver.

“I’ve known him since he raced in formula BMW; a long time. From what I understand, Nico is also on Ferrari’s list, so we all have plans.

“If the first one fails, you have a plan B,” the Lotus chief is quoted by Brazil’s Totalrace.
VIA

Korea this weekend! Who finishes in what position will be exciting as far as the championship(s) are concerned. Hoping for an exciting qualifying and race!

Race Preview VIA
2013 KOREAN GRAND PRIX
04 - 06 OCTOBER 2013

After the bright lights and street racing of Singapore, Round 14 of the 2013 Formula One World Championship sees the teams take on a very different technical challenge at the Korea International Circuit.

The 5.615km track, located close to the city of Mokpo in the south of the country, is almost two circuits in one - with the first half featuring a number of high-speed sections and a long, fast 1.2km straight and the second half comprised of tight and twisting sections featuring lower-speed corners.

As such car set-up at KIC is a compromise, with teams balancing the need for outright speed against the demands of the slow sections, where both aerodynamic and mechanical grip are of paramount importance. Finding that grip can be prove difficult too, as the infrequently used track is normally dirty at the start of the weekend and set-ups must be constantly adjusted to meet the evolving track conditions. In short, it’s not an easy circuit to get right.

It’s the two men at the top of the Drivers’ Championship standings who have had most success in that regard across the first three Korean GPs. Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso won the inaugural event, a rain-lashed grand prix that eventually extended to 2 hours, 48 minutes and which ended in near darkness, while current title leader Sebastian Vettel of Red Bull Racing has been victorious in the last two editions.

And it’s the Red Bull driver who again has the momentum this season. Vettel comes to the Yeongam region on the back of three consecutive race wins, while Alonso has played second fiddle to the German on each of those occasions. In the Constructors’ battle, meanwhile, Red Bull Racing, with 377 points, currently enjoy a commanding 103-point leader over Ferrari, with Mercedes in third place with 267 points.

1374120_640459725984659_89785001_n.jpg

Korean GP Championship Standings (Drivers)

14-korea-drivers.png

Korean GP Championship Standings (Constructors)

14-korea-constructors.png

Looks like it's going to be a wet one this weekend because of tropical storm Fitow. Apparently it's not going to hit where the races is being held but it could cause a lot of rain. Expect some slow driving lol

Also, are people serious about Vettel's car being illegal? Everyone boos him and now they're saying all this nonsense? Really don't understand it all

Looks like it's going to be a wet one this weekend because of tropical storm Fitow. Apparently it's not going to hit where the races is being held but it could cause a lot of rain. Expect some slow driving lol

Also, are people serious about Vettel's car being illegal? Everyone boos him and now they're saying all this nonsense? Really don't understand it all

dailymail.co.uk says it's headed straight for the track?

Sunday’s Korean Grand Prix is under threat from a powerful tropical storm which is set to hit the peninsula just hours ahead of the race. Typhoon Fitow is currently on collision course with the Korean International Circuit in Yeongam, bringing with it torrential rain and winds in excess of 100mph. Data supplied by the US Navy and Air Force Joint Typhoon Warning Centre said gusts could be considerably higher still – a major concern given the amount of advertising hoardings placed around the track.

In addition, the circuit is built on reclaimed marsh land just miles from the East China Sea meaning coastal flooding could also pose a threat. Weather website accuweather.com reported that the typhoon is expected to gather strength as it heads inland, adding: ‘South Korea could be dealt a direct blow from the storm leading to flooding rainfall, damaging winds and mudslides.’ If the circuit does indeed take the full force of the adverse weather conditions then it may force the race to be called off.

article-2441439-187607D600000578-382_634

VIA

And, yeah some are reporting it’s a "post-exhaust blowing solution" some suggest its "clever engine mapping that mimics the behaviour of exhaust-blown diffusers".

The traction control suggestion by Minardi is my favorite. "Minardi, watching track side at Marina Bay, said Vettel’s car displayed worryingly good handling, while his Renault engine “sounded similar to past seasons when traction control went into action”." it can be heard here. Story here.

The moment it said "Minardi" I laughed :D I'll never forget the commentators jubilant disbelief on ITV years ago when a Minardi passed a front runner. "He was passed by... BY A MINARDI!!!!" :lol:

I've never heard good handling been described as "worrying"  :lol: This is what i don't get "Sebastian will only be popular again when he looses"  :huh: We live in a strange world.

I don't ever read the daily mail, i can't stand the sort of paper it is, obviously that shouldn't stop them reporting the weather properly  :lol:

It should be a good one.

*Hamilton went fastest in practice.

So yeah, Vettel looks like he's taking his 4th in India. Booooooo :lol:

2013 Indian Grand Prix Free Practice One times

1 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull Racing 1:26.683
2 Mark Webber Red Bull Racing 1:26.871 +0.188
3 Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1:26.899 +0.216
4 Romain Grosjean Lotus 1:26.990 +0.307
5 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1:27.227 +0.544
6 Jenson Button McLaren 1:27.335 +0.652
7 Sergio Pérez McLaren 1:27.416 +0.733
8 Felipe Massa Ferrari 1:27.692 +1.009