I have been waiting for this to happen since it was only rumors. FINALLY... they released the full length trailer. I wanted to share it. This is definitely a show I will be watching. I was also a huge fan of Smallville, it's one of the few shows that I would buy just to have.

tumblr_m2ienvKRMM1qfbvj1.gif

I also enjoyed smallville back in the day.  As for Gotham, I have a bad feeling its just going to be another police procedural drama that just happens to be set in the Batman Universe. I hope I'm wrong though.  You still reading the comics? The weekly Batman Eternal that is going on right now is pretty good.

Keep calm and question nothing.

This just looks like a cash-in on the name to me. For real.

The way they just name-dropped Penguin (who doesn't even look like Penguin should), Riddler, Posion Ivy, and then freakin' Bruce Wayne makes me very wary of this.

It's most likely gonna turn out to be one a by-the-numbers detective drama that OCCASIONALLY says "oh, hey, remember this is set in Gotham? Yeah."

And Gordon doesn't even have his mustache. 

afc08deviantartnet_fs71_f_2013_189_7_e_m

DM9ON.png

I watched "Balloonman" today while I ate lunch.  Not bad.  I'm interested to see how the story progresses, but am not really hooked on any of the characters yet.  The cliches of the cops are just a bit much for me.

I don't know how to do spoiler text on this forum, so I'll refrain from further comment.

I've watched the first two episodes and so far, I like it. It's pretty cool how you get the back stories on all the characters in the movies.

I'll be interested to see how long this will last and see if it has the following that all the movies have had. I bet there's a lot of people out there like Datte that think they're just cashing in on the name.

first, i'll vent:  i find the Gordon GF's ex-lesbian relationship gratuitous and unnecessary.  i seriously could care less and have no expectation for that subplot to evolve into anything meaningful, so it's just extremely annoying to me whenever they try to shoehorn it in. 

one thing i couldn't stop thinking about while watching the episode last night was the concept of the Wayne murder, and how they could do something pretty interesting with it.  throughout much of Batman's various canons and origins, the identity of his parents' killer has often been eventually revealed (Joker, Joe Chill, etc.).  but what occurred to me was how interesting it would be if they NEVER solve the Wayne murders in this series, which ultimately motivates Bruce to become . . . wait for it . . . The World's Greatest Detective.  he becomes the pinnacle of deductive power because of the one mystery he could never solve: his parents' murder. 

that's always been my favorite aspect of Batman -- the idea that he could out-think his way out of any situation.  and that's always been more appealing to me as a characteristic than being an Olympic-level athlete or having an infinite trust fund.  it's also a trait that's largely neglected in recent history; while the Animated Series put his mind at the forefront of their stories, he doesn't ultimately do a lot of actual detecting in, say, the Nolan-verse. 

i guess i just figured if they're gonna tease out the resolution of the Wayne murders, and really milk it for at least a season or two . . . then why not go all the way and leave it unsolved, supplying Bruce with a believable reason to reject civilian life and start dressing up like a bat.  novel, yet sensible.

anyway, i'm hooked, but not in the "this show is so good" sense.  more in the "i'm socially obligated as a nerd to watch this no matter how bad it is" sense.

I've watched the first two episodes and so far, I like it. It's pretty cool how you get the back stories on all the characters in the movies.

I'll be interested to see how long this will last and see if it has the following that all the movies have had. I bet there's a lot of people out there like Datte that think they're just cashing in on the name.

i think the success and longevity of the show will depend on how far they're willing to diverge from what we've already seen -- if anything i honestly think they need to be more aggressive about carving out their own universe.  that way they can be free to explore characters and origins that keep them fresh.  they have to assume that anyone tuning in to Gotham at this point is familiar with at least the Bat-basics . . . which means their entire audience thinks they know what to expect.  we gotta be surprised if we're gonna watch the next episode.  the Penguin plot is probably the most interesting so far, at least in terms of how much potential they clearly think that character has to help carry the show.

this is so disappointing. I was so hoping for a detective show with nods to the batman universe and some in depth backgrounds... but they just introduce every single enemy and shove everything down your throat at once. There is no mystery, no surprise, no subtlety. "Hi, my name is eve and i love fern" right in the middle of the god damn pilot.

imagine if it was just a normal detective show similar to Luther with some over the top villains that COULD be in the pre-batman universe. And after like... 3 episodes you find out how they were related to the batman we know- or not at all.

perhaps make it a bit like Once Upon a Time where it more or less introduces one char per season and fleshes out the char in full with only subtle nods and breif mentions to other stories.

throughout much of Batman's various canons and origins, the identity of his parents' killer has often been eventually revealed (Joker, Joe Chill, etc.).  but what occurred to me was how interesting it would be if they NEVER solve the Wayne murders in this series, which ultimately motivates Bruce to become . . . wait for it . . . The World's Greatest Detective.  he becomes the pinnacle of deductive power because of the one mystery he could never solve: his parents' murder. 

this would be amazing

i think the success and longevity of the show will depend on how far they're willing to diverge from what we've already seen -- if anything i honestly think they need to be more aggressive about carving out their own universe.  that way they can be free to explore characters and origins that keep them fresh.  they have to assume that anyone tuning in to Gotham at this point is familiar with at least the Bat-basics . . . which means their entire audience thinks they know what to expect.  we gotta be surprised if we're gonna watch the next episode. 

i think that's why the show is such a letdown to me. it's all somewhat predictable. There is no cleverness or subtlety just "remember this guy? Yup, he's in batman alright!" I want the joker to be the most amazingly good guy and be TOTALLY SURPRISED at who he turns out to be. We unfortunately all know who the riddler is already.

Idk if i can finish episode 2... it just goes on...

watched episode 4 last night -- best so far, i'd say.  also, sorry, didn't realize the premieres were delayed across the pond, i'll use spoilers just in case from now on.

i'm genuinely intrigued by the reluctant partnership between Gordon and Cobblepot.  that's new, and has a lot of dramatic potential.  i'm psyched for the next episode.

The cliches of the cops are just a bit much for me.

it's over the top, but hopefully once they develop the characters more they'll evolve out of cliches.

I don't know how to do spoiler text on this forum, so I'll refrain from further comment.

[spoiler] YOUR TEXT HERE [/spoiler]

I was really into this, glad to see Donal Logue working again, but the show is sliding off for me already. The more I watch I realize how much I don't care about this version of what happens before Bruce sets out as Batman. All events that are perfectly attacked with flashbacks in other Batman offerings.

It's well done and interesting but is it good enough to separate itself from other freak of the week Cop dramas? And what's the point? Bruce is pissed and Gordon is a good guy bad ass? *yawn*

jpw_tyrannosaurus-rex_zpscpttjstm.jpg

I've now watched the first 2 episodes and can see what you guys mean, penguins performance so far is the highlight, I could care less about Bruce Wayne, he seems pretty irrelevant to the show tbh.

this past Monday's episode (in the States) started to spend some quality time fleshing out Bruce's character, hinting at his detective ability in particular, and i thought it was well done.  i'm looking forward even more to an upcoming episode i read about that flashes back to Alfred's relationship with the Waynes, because that actor/character has been criminally underused so far in the series.  i'm guessing they're going to make him an ex-military badass, Earth One-style.